Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

52" Mr. Mulligan

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

52" Mr. Mulligan

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Oregon Craig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 52" Mr. Mulligan

Someone gave me a 52" span Mr. Mulligan that was obviously built from a kit, but I know nothing about it, and he could not remember. It is built and covered, with the scale DGA decals on it. The engine (never run) says VECO 19. No muffler, no throttle, so I'm guessing either FF or CL? I don't know. The rudder and elevator are both hinged, but no ailerons. There are fake aileron outlines out at the ends of the wing, done in pinstriping tape, just like the fake cockpit door. Wing struts. Wheel pants. Aluminum landing gear, much like modern R/C gear, but sorta built-in to the fuselage. (not sure about how exactly, the whole plane is covered. ) The bottom aft 2/3 to 3/4 of the fuse is built with stringers for a curved effect, the rest of the plane reminds me of most any other modern R/C kit. Fuse length is approx. 34". Scale plastic cowl. No control rods or servos for R/C, or nothing that suggests C/L. Other than a bit dusty, it is very nicely built, and obviously never flown.

Anyone have a clue just what kit this might be, or it's intended purpose? I'll try to get a few close-up pics of some areas that may seem unique, otherwise it looks like any other Mulligan DGA-6.

I may want to convert it to R/C with either glow or electric power. Not much dihedral, though, so I would need to hack a set of ailerons.

Thanks for reading, and send me any ideas you may have if this sounds familiar!
Old 07-04-2004, 02:21 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 52" Mr. Mulligan

High wing aircraft do not need much dihedral in order to bank and turn on rudder only.

My biggest concern would be how strong the structure is after all of these years. Many of the glues used 30+ years ago would have become extremely brittle by now. Personally, I'd be more inclined to hang it up in the shop and just enjoy looking at it.

John
Old 07-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Oregon Craig

Thanks, that is probably good advice. Still no pics, but a little research has led me to think it may be a kit from the late 60's - early 70's.

Made by "World Engines". From what I can Google, it looks like it was meant for 46-48 glow power. Why it had a no throttle .19 in it, I have no idea.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:24 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

46-48 for an aircraft of that size and date sounds big. But, it's possible the original builder intended to fly it 2 channel, possibly due to radio costs of the day. A Veco .19 would have been a good choise as it would not have over powered the model and allowed the pilot a more gentle flying model.

John
Old 08-18-2004, 01:14 PM
GeorgeM
My Feedback: (6)

Your right, it's a World Engines kit.
It is shown, built, on the cover of April 1977 Model Airplane News as a soon to be released kit.
It sold for $47.95 in late 1977.
It has a 52" wing span, calls for a 30-40 engine and the plans show it can be built either 3 or 4 channel.

I have one, unbuilt, in the box that I bought on RCO 5 years ago for $75+$7 shipping.

They are very hard to find now and I saw one go for $110 on ebay about 3 years ago.

I doubt I will ever build mine as I have too many other projects so if anyone is interested I will let it go for what I paid.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:52 PM
ELGEE

Hi-
If your Mr Mulliagn is still available, you have a buyer !!!
Larry G.

[email protected]