Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

foam wing for older bridi sunfly3

Old 07-04-2004, 07:07 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default foam wing for older bridi sunfly3

I am constructing a bridi sunfly3 ..power will be a supertiger 61 sk..but I am using a foam wing.It feels heavier than the built up wing.will the foam wing make the planes weight too much?? the fuse is lite and strong..I also want to install servo for each wing..seems like this should be ok..Do I need to cut out lighting holeson the wing.will the foam sheeted wing add too much to overall final weight ..
Old 07-05-2004, 06:52 AM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: foam wing for older bridi sunfly3

It won't be too heavy... you are using light 1/16" balsa to sheet with, right? Some older models I have seen used 3/32~ overkill. Be careful with how much adhesive you use to do the skinning, it adds up fast. Don't try to "honeycomb" or remove material on it.

These airplanes were 6- 6 1/2 pounds, you shouldn't add more than 1/2 pound at most- will be fine. I had one with an OS 61, overpowered but fun.

Get that thing done & bring it to the VRCS ( vintage radio control society ) fly-in over Labor day weekend at the Aeroguidance Society field. Will be a lot of models from the 1960's.

Scott
Old 07-05-2004, 10:10 AM
astropuppy
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Where did you get the foam cores for a Sun Fli III?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:32 PM
cloudancer03

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks but before I answer back can someone tell me the best way to weigh an airplane.hard to believe but I never had to weigh one and looked for inexpensive scales and apparently there is no such animal.. as for a foam wing source I believe its dynamic balsa usa..they took over wings.inc. I have the built up wing also and what started this whole foam thing was my concern that the top of the wing was not totally flat surface.meaning that when I took a metal ruler and laid it across the top wing it didn't touch every rib..for whatever reason I just assumed that meant it was bad.but I am re examing that notion and suspect that as long as the wing is not warped(and its not) relatively speaking the wing is ok..is that correct.. oh yes I actually live near binghamton lol and I just might bring to the society's meet..
Old 07-06-2004, 05:40 PM
cloudancer03

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

incidentally the surface measurement I referenced with a metal ruler the gaps were minimal and I have built many wings .perhaps I am just too critcal that its not perfect because it otherwise appears ok..and the foam source is a good one..I serached many and found this one reliable friendly and fast! all I did was send in the root surface of the wing from the plan ..I am looking to build a kaos and I am told theres a guy in washington state or thereabouts and cuts a laser kit for a reasonable price..I think the bridi's planes are legendary and among the best.lol I also am building a lou andrews aeromaster and plan to use nib fs 90..