Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First Kit - Sig Something Extra - Wish me luck!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First Kit - Sig Something Extra - Wish me luck!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 01:10 PM
Flying Scotsman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Kit - Sig Something Extra - Wish me luck!

At the weekend I bought myself a Sig Something Extra kit. I have been debating whether to try building a kit since I started in this hobby at the beginning of the year. Since then I have assembled and flown 3 ARF's (Trainer, GP Big Stick, H9 US 40 and I am about to start on my P-51) however I researched the Sig and GP kits and decided on this one as a good starting point. My biggest fear is covering the beast but I have decided to give it a go and use Ultracoat. I am also going to pull the OS 50SX from the Big Stick and install it in the Sig.

By the way, I don't want to lie but it was my wife who assembled my H9 US 40 and now she wants to help with the kit!

Flying Scotsman
Old 07-15-2002, 01:29 PM
biplane13

let her help!!
Old 07-15-2002, 02:04 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

You are a lucky man A wife that wants to help build your planes is a gift........As for the SE kit...it's very VERY easy to build...just follow the instructions (I made a few mistakes while not reading) Here's mine:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17741_7030.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	11425  
Old 07-15-2002, 02:44 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife is a dental assistant and loves to assist me when I build. What an asset she is to someone like me who (admittedly) is not the neatest worker in the world (ok, I'm a slob). I'm always setting something down and then forgetting where I put it etc.

BTW, Good luck with building. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Or, actually to be more accurate...

I enjoy building... But I love having built!

And it's so nice to have the option of whatever color scheme you want!
Old 07-15-2002, 03:09 PM
Flying Scotsman

Default Thanks!

I get so p@##ed off at times when assembling these planes that I would be silly not to let her help.

Tmproff...that is one nice colour scheme!

Flying Scotsman
Old 07-15-2002, 06:10 PM
kgarvey

Have you started your wings yet? I made a mistake by trying to build both wing panels at the same time (as recommended in the instructions). Ended up with some wash-in on the starboard panel. Looks like I'll have to remove the rib-shears from rib #3 on out in order to torque the wing back into shape. Keep those panels square and firmly attached to your building surface until the instructions tell you to remove them. The fuse seems to go together real easy. I'd watch the fuse alignment when temporarily securing the 1/4"x1/2" stock between the 2 tail ends of the fuse sides. I placed a T-pin in the spacer stock, dead center, and a T-ping on the top, dead center of the F-1 firewall and connected a thread between the 2 pins to be certain fuse aligns while glueing in F-5, F-6, and F-7.

Can I borrow your wife for the finishing details?

Kipper
Old 07-23-2002, 06:13 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

I am planning on buying one also, but I hate screwing up the covering. So I will probably end up buying the ARF and just modify (enlarge) the rudder and put a bigger landing gear on it. We should fly them together and share experience. I have heard that they are a lot of fun to fly, and are excellent hovering machines. We will see !
Old 07-23-2002, 06:35 PM
kgarvey

Good idea. I've am about to cover the fuse (at last) and still need to mount the engine. Otherwise, I'm expecting to be flying it maybe this coming weekend, or next for sure.
FYI, I'm powering this bird with a Rossi 45 and will swing an 11-4 prop. I have not increased the rudder or elevator (others have and they are very happy with the mod) and will use the stock landing gear.

Let's swap photos when we're completed.

Kipper
Old 07-23-2002, 07:13 PM
bentgear

Kipper,
think I remember reading somewhere that there is some wash-out or wash-in built into the wings on the SE. Can't remember which. You might want to research it before you correct it.
Ed M.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:27 PM
kgarvey

Thanks, Ed, but a little too late. It took some doing, but I squared the wing panels. Well, almost. I have about 1/64" trailing edge bow in right panel. Almost negligible. And nothing to be concerned about in this type aircraft. We'll see when she launches
!
Old 07-25-2002, 05:53 PM
theKAT
My Feedback: (1)

I'd built a few kits before, but found the SE a pretty easy build. The directions are detailed, but not always real clear.

My screwups/tips:

I reversed the upper and lower exit holes for the pushrod guides. Suggest you test rig all the controls before covering.

When you glue on the canopy, put the hatch back on the airplane to dry. Otherwise it won't fit. I got 5 stitches at the ER because of this. It's a long story.

Covering the turtle deck area is a b***h, but it can be done.

I used a Webra .50 and a 12" prop. This gives very little ground clearance. Went through a lot of wood props. Got some DuBro #789 as a retrofit which is an inch taller then the stock aluminum and won't bend out of shape.

Forget the wheel pants if you are flying off grass.

Good stuff here: http://users.rcn.com/llfc/se_tips.html

Despite all the minor glitches, it came out fine, and it's been really fun to fly. It's had about 3 gallons through it so far.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...light=covering

Karll
Old 07-28-2002, 10:32 PM
kgarvey

Here's my finished product. Not flown yet, that comes tomorrow. Elevator/rudder driven from rear-mounted servos. Rossi 45 extra weight makes up the weight difference up front (well, almost.) Bottom wing is yellow/black checkerboard for contrast. Botched up the covering a little (too much heat). Funny, the finished covering didn't look anything like what I had originally planned. Guess I made last minute 'changes' along the way. I don't recommend that. Stick with your plan.

Name:	19257_11278.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	11426  
Old 07-29-2002, 06:13 PM
biplane13

sweeet!!
Old 07-30-2002, 12:00 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My SE was an x-mas gift 2 years ago. This was one of the simplest kits I've ever built. the laser cut pieces just simply fit together, and will fall out the sheets if you're not careful!! Covering the SE was nothing difficult. just take your time and follow good covering practices. And once in the air, this plane is just plain fun to fly. It's a blast to fly. I'm flying mine with an OS 46FX. I wouldn't be afraid of this kit. Just read the instructions, read the instructions again, and then before you start building - read the instructions. This kit is fun all the way from the building board to the flight line, and beyond. the only problem with this plane is that it gets more exhaust and oil on it than any other plane I've seen. I guess this is because it can do so many rolls in a row!!!

fun fun fun. get my point??

Name:	19449_11184.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	11427  
Old 07-30-2002, 03:31 PM
RussianFlyer

Default Great Kit!

Hello,

I have also built this kit and am very impressed with the quality and ease of the assembly. Covering was not a problem. What I found is that you shouldn't overcomplicate the covering job. A few extra seams when finished and sealed well are unnoticable unless you know where they are. I wish my family members would be that enthusiastical about the hobby . Have fun!

I attached a pic of my finished SE. The covering job is basically the same as factory except the wingtips and the absence of pinstriping. Planning to put a TT Pro. 46 on it.

P.S.: There seems to be a whole flock of Somethin' Extras at Scobee now .

RF

Name:	19463_621.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	11428