Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

ouch

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 03:17 AM
WRXlovr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ouch

Anybody here ever get bad cuts from building?like today i was doing hinge slot for my new uproar and my knife slipped and put a huge gash in my finger and now i have to get stiches!
Old 07-16-2002, 03:46 AM
YUKON BOB
My Feedback: (131)

Default Xactoitis

I was trimming a pilot figure using a brand new Xacto knife. Holding it with my left hand and cutting with the right. This was one of the Vinyl injected types so I was forcing the blade away from my body like a good Boyscout should. Being real careful of the leathal weapon. As the last bit cut through I felt a slight "Tick" on the end of my pinky finger. Which I must say was being held as if I were sipping tea. Hmmm, I thought as I looked at the tip of my finger that had three little drops of blood oozing from a hairling slit all the way across the tip of my finger. I looked at the knife blade and sure enough there was blood on it too! As soon as I touched the tip I knew I was in big trouble. the end of my finger mushroomed and the blood started flowing pretty good. I knew that it was not band aid time. Being home alone, I had to write a note to my wife, to let her know where I was and had not been murdered.. By the time I wrote the note it was very bloody and I had to leave a mess. At the doctors office it only took two small stitches to close the wound. I didn't cut it all the way off, but I will tell you that blade was so sharp that I never felt the cut, just the blade hitting the end of my finger.
I have had several cuts since and a few errant stabbings with the Xactos, but that was the first that needed medical attention. I am sure there will be worse stories and I have heard a few myself. But that is mine. Take care and be real careful in your shop.
I sold a plane to a fellow one time and the following year the wing panels were for sale at an auction. I asked the fellow auctioning them where they had come from and he mentioned the name of he guy who bought the plane. He explained that the guy was painting this plane in his garage and the pilot light from his water heater caused an explosion and fire that cost him his life! This was all that was left. I sold the plane for almost $500.00 and the wings brought about $15.00 at auction.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:51 PM
snsmith
My Feedback: (5)

Default ouch

Ouch...it hurts just thinking about it! I hope it isn't too serious and it heals quickly. This is one good reason to use Robart hinge points (install with a drill) or buy one of the motorized hinge slotting tools.

One time I was cutting some covering with a straight edge with a new scalpel blade and didn't realize at the time the tip of my index finger was every-so-slightly over the edge of the metal straight edge. When I looked down, I saw this little pink disk on the covering...turned out it was a clean slice of skin. The scalpel blade took off about 1/16" of my finger tip without even slowing down! Fortunately, it was just skin and needless to say, I'm much more careful now when cutting with a straight edge.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:31 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ouch

I use a GP Slot Machine to cut my hinges. (And CA to close up my razor blade wounds)
Old 07-16-2002, 06:15 PM
theKAT
My Feedback: (1)

Default ouch

Hmm, that brings back RECENT memories.

I was in the final push to get my Somethin Extra ready to fly. I had a buddy glue the canopy onto the hatch for me. Unfortunately, when I got it back, the hatch no longer fit the fuse. Since the RC-56 was still a bit tacky, I thought I would just cut it loose with a nice, shiny, sharp new #11 blade. I was cutting in paring knife fashion with my right hand and holding the canopy with my left. The glue gave way all at once, sending the blade through the end of my left thumb, all the way across, about 1/8" under my nail and 1/2" deep. Didn't hurt at all, but I knew right away, this wasn't going to be a home treatment. A quick visit to my RN neighbor confirmed it.

Trip to the ER on a saturday afternoon was surprisingly brief, but the final bill was $570 for 5 stitches and a tetanus shot.

You can see my bandaged hand here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...82&forumid=107

Got the first flight of the SE in the next day.

Karll
Old 07-17-2002, 10:22 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Default ouch

I at one time used phillips screws to mount engines to engine mounts, until I slipped and rammed the screwdriver through my hand. After a trip to the emergency room, I now use allen head cap screws.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:08 AM
ramcharger

Default ouch

I agree with a previous response. THe Hobbico hinge slot machine is a time savin, finger savin fine little machine. I bought one when they came out and been using it ever since.