Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Super Sporster BIPE

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Super Sporster BIPE

Old 07-14-2004, 09:30 AM
Davesplace80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Sporster BIPE

Hi All

I just got one of the old unopened Super Sporster BIPE kit for a very nice price. Many thanks to the friendly Eagle Hobbies in Suffolk, VA !!!

I already have a Super Sporster MKII Kit that I am currently flying and like it a lot! and now I am ready to start building the BIPE for a winter project.
Anyone have any tips or pics on the BIPE kit?

Dave
Old 07-14-2004, 07:48 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Super Sporster BIPE

Dont have any tips but ya better believe I will be following this thread! I just bought one of these on Ebay. I suppose I need to get off my butt and finish my SS 20 first...
ORIGINAL: Davesplace80

Hi All

I just got one of the old unopened Super Sporster BIPE kit for a very nice price. Many thanks to the friendly Eagle Hobbies in Suffolk, VA !!!

I already have a Super Sporster MKII Kit that I am currently flying and lot it! and now I am ready to start building the BIPE for a winter project.
Anyone have any tips or pics on the BIPE kit?

Dave
Old 07-15-2004, 04:49 PM
Nuker

I have that bipe; one of my favorites that I got from a buddy of mine.

1. Make sure the engine is setup with lots of right thrust.
2. The upper wing is screwed on with small 1/2" screws through a metal plate and attached that way through the cabane structure. Make sure the upper wing is hardened sufficiently to hole the wing on as there is no support struts on the side so the entire wing is held in the middle.
3. Make sure your incidence is right when building the wire cabane structure.
4. Use sufficient power. I have a Saito .56 in mine with a 12x6 prop. Certainly not unlimited but flies the bipe fine.
5. Install a Sullivan tail wheel (with the spring in the back) to your rudder, it will last much longer on those less than perfect landings.

Like I said, this is one of my regulars, I hope you enjoy it.

Bob
Old 07-15-2004, 07:48 PM
Azcat59

I had one, with an OS 45 FSR. Pretty hot little airplane. Finally sold it to a friend, who flew it several years, on and off, and then re-sold it. I remember it as a decent kit. I would think you would enjoy it.

Clair
Old 07-15-2004, 09:43 PM
ghendrix01

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

Heres a pic of one I built in 1991. Flew it a few times. Tip stalled on landing with little damage (really got lucky as it went out of sight just before coming in contact with mother earth. I repaired it, flew it a few more times after learning to keep speed up on approach then sold it. It was powered by a Magnum 45 Pro. It flew fairly fast for a bipe. It doesn't slow down like other bipes. I have 2 kits that I aquired a couple of years ago along with a wing kit. Got them cause I really liked the plane. Will build them someday.

Just build it per the plans and note the earlier remarks about incidence and strength of the upper wing mount and enjoy.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92448.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	154100  
Old 07-16-2004, 11:42 AM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one of these a few years back. The upper wing was already framed. The builder didn't do a very pretty job, but it's straight and solid. Sanding and filler will take care of the rest. A friend had one back in the late 80's with a Royal .45 in the nose. I remember the model being quick in the air. Some day I'll get around to building mine.

John
Old 08-04-2004, 04:04 PM
boss351
My Feedback: (6)

I bought one of these used and will hopefully be flying it today. Wish I had the plans to see where the center of gravity should be, I am putting it in the hands of an experienced pilot to help trim and set it up. I put as much weight forward to be on the safe side, it has a Magnum 52 XLS (2 stroke) and will be swinging an 11x6 prop. Sounds like it will be a fast plane!

If someone on this thread can let me know about the Center of gravity (how far back from the leading edge of the top wing), I'd appreciate it!

Notice the canopy is not the original, I dug it out of the trash from a crash wreckage at our field, goes well with it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25943.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	160606  
Old 08-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Boss,

If you'll send an email to the addy below, we can send you a pdf version of the kit's building instructions. It will have balance point as well as suggested control throws.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:28 PM
boss351

Thanks Bill, will do. I downloaded the pdf from the Great Planes website and it states the CG is marked on the plans. Maybe what you can send me has something additional. Will email right now.

Adam
Old 08-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Fubar-One

I have the same pdf that I downloaded from Great Planes after I won one of these on Ebay. Mine came with no instructions.
If you check the pdf, the very last page shows the recommended CG points for all Super Sportsters (bipe included) and the recommended throws for those balance points.
Havent started on mine yet, too many other projects!
ORIGINAL: boss351

Thanks Bill, will do. I downloaded the pdf from the Great Planes website and it states the CG is marked on the plans. Maybe what you can send me has something additional. Will email right now.

Adam
Old 08-04-2004, 09:01 PM
boss351

Thanks Fubar, after replying to Bax I went through the file again and this time found it also. I gave the plane a rough finger balence check at home and headed out to the field. Broke in the engine (Magnum 52 XLS 2 stroke) and up and away. No problems with the balence, a tad down trim needed (my elevator was off slightly from flat horizontal), mega increase in ailerons throws is needed (nothing I could do at the field, need a bigger servo horn and new clevises). Other than that the engine is a great match and she landed at idle with ease. I will increase the aileron throws tonight and back to the field tomorrow.

Great little Bipe!! I am really happy, best $50 I paid in a plane so far (plane and servos included), I just added the engine and an old receiver that I have. I replaced the rudder and elevator control rods, horns, clevises and the tank with new also. I will invest in some recovering at a later date, right now it is too much fun I just want to fly it. By the way, this is my third plane, after an Avistar and a 40 size Stik.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:11 AM
Fubar-One

Man, I wanna start building on MINE now!
ORIGINAL: boss351

Thanks Fubar, after replying to Bax I went through the file again and this time found it also. I gave the plane a rough finger balence check at home and headed out to the field. Broke in the engine (Magnum 52 XLS 2 stroke) and up and away. No problems with the balence, a tad down trim needed (my elevator was off slightly from flat horizontal), mega increase in ailerons throws is needed (nothing I could do at the field, need a bigger servo horn and new clevises). Other than that the engine is a great match and she landed at idle with ease. I will increase the aileron throws tonight and back to the field tomorrow.

Great little Bipe!! I am really happy, best $50 I paid in a plane so far (plane and servos included), I just added the engine and an old receiver that I have. I replaced the rudder and elevator control rods, horns, clevises and the tank with new also. I will invest in some recovering at a later date, right now it is too much fun I just want to fly it. By the way, this is my third plane, after an Avistar and a 40 size Stik.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:43 AM
boss351

One thing that I would do if I was building this kit I think is put individual aileron servos in the wings, the single central servo needs a very big servo horn to have authority and it cramps up the space in there for the rest of the radio gear.

I'll see if my extra throws help this afternoon. Looking forward to it!
Old 08-05-2004, 09:03 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

When I get around to building mine, I plan on adding ailerons to the top wings. I haven't found a bipe yet that rolled fast enough for me that only had ailerons on one of the two wings.

John
Old 08-05-2004, 09:07 AM
boss351

The day I decide to recover (if that day arrives) I will probably do the same. The way it is right now is fine for me being my first Bipe, I think when I am ready for something more aerobatic I will probably go for a 60 size Skybolt or stay at the 40 size and get a Pitts, but right now this one is a pleasure.

I forgot to mention it tracked straight down the runway on takeoff, no nasty pull to the left. Impressive little plane!
Old 08-05-2004, 08:59 PM
boss351

Update on the flights today.

I doubled the aileron throws and now it rolls fast and is very responsive. Remember I am a novice pilot with a first time Bipe. After a few laps of the field getting a feel for the responses I tried an Immelman turn, a bit sad, with the speed bled off it was hard to roll it back over right way up on the exit. Maybe having ailerons on the top wing also would help this. I am also going to check the CG again, coming in at idle the plane just wants t float for ever, the nose doesn't want to come down, infact though trimmed at speed I think at idle the nose wants to lift up. Once I landed it the runway ran out very fast, this plane needs brakes!! I am going to try some fuel tubing jammed in between the wheel lock nut and the wheel to slow their spinning down. I made two take offs, both in about 25 ft and I am sure you could do it in less, the plane was a little squirly to start with but I am getting the hang of it (the maiden flight yesterday was at the hands of a very good pilot, he told me he didn't need any rudder input for take off, I am sure he did now!).

OK, just checked the CG, 2" back from leading edge of the lower wing. So leaning towards the tail heavy end of the recomended setup. I am running a heavy hub that I was hoping to take off, I guess not now. The battery is up against the firewall and the received right behind the tank. I could move the motor forward a tad but will have to loose the front balsa, it is thin enough as it is already. Probably best to learn to fly it this way... What do you think?
Old 08-06-2004, 08:30 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

My personal experience with other models is to move the CG rearward if you cannot get the model to slow down. Not knowing how the SS Bipe handles being tail heavy, and the fact that you are at already at the rearward range suggested, I would move it back about 1/4" and see how it behaves. If it's better, move back another 1/4" until you find the spot you like best. If the results are opposite what you are looking for, move the CG forward. Another thing to consider is I seem to remember this being a pretty hot plane to land. I don't remember ever hearing that they would slow down very well on final.

John
Old 08-06-2004, 08:37 AM
boss351

I don't think I will do anything drastic too soon. I want to see if the previous owner can take it up tomorrow and give me his opinion. Our runway is about to get extended 350 ft!! I think that should be enough! I think the flight characteristics for me would be better a little more nose heavy and was considerring moving the engine forward after all, but I am going to hold off until I have flown it more. I have to reinforce the landing gear mounts and I may look at moving it forward a tad to get some more weight forward also.

Looking forward to flying this weekend!
Old 08-06-2004, 12:17 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Be careful moving the gear forward. Doing so will make the model more squirrely on the ground and more apt to ground loop.

John
Old 08-06-2004, 12:39 PM
boss351

Thanks for that adice! I didn't know that. Well, I may just push the engine forward a tad and see where it gets me. Not flying this afternoon so I have some time to mess with it. I am also going to reinforce the bends in the rudder and elevator push rods as they may be flexing a little. The trim setting for the elevator was a little oddball (though I think that is more to do with the CG), not 100% consistant at idle vs mid. vs full throttle. I haven't touched the wing incidence setting from the last owner (actually not sure what it is supposed to be set at and how to check it). The outer struts are missing but both wings appear to be so solidly mounted (no flex on either) that it appears to fly great without them. There are ball joints mounted on the wings to attach struts, I'll pick up some sockets and make some next time I go to the hobby store. I wander if they will make much difference other than cosmetic?
Old 08-06-2004, 01:11 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

This model did not have interplane (outer) struts in stock form and I haven't heard the need for them. Perhaps the original owner experimented with them at some time for aesthetic reasons?

If you just want to play with the CG. You could always stick a piece of lead in the nose under the engine instead of going through the trouble of moving the engine. This would at least let you see how the model behaves in the air before you carve up the nose.

The easiest way to check the wing incidence is to use a tool like the Robart incidence meter or anything else similar. Without one of these, you can always use a ruler to measure the leading (center) and trailing edge to your work bench with the fuse blocked up level to your bench. If the model behaves normally in flight other than not slowing down on landing, I would not mess with moving the wings.

John
Old 08-08-2004, 05:46 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really love my Sportster Bipe! Been flying it for about 8 years off and on, and decided to strip it, make some needed reapirs and recover.

I'm missing it during the renovations. []

Bought mine at an auction, also with the servos, for $40. If I didn't already have so many bipes waiting to be built, I'd probably be shopping for another. (Hey George! Don't want to part with one of those kits do you? )
Dennis-
Old 08-08-2004, 08:55 PM
boss351

Well.... I had a little mishap today, let the plane get a little too close to the pilot stations landing with a slight crosswind blowing me in to them, I should have quickly given it some throttle and gone around again but I guess I thought I was safely down. Anyway, repairing right now. Got home too late to go out and buy a clamp I'll need to finish it off tonight, but luck it was fairly minor damage, tough little plane!

Adam