Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

My Modified Venture 60 COLORS

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

My Modified Venture 60 COLORS

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 10:09 PM
mr70ss
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Modified Venture 60 COLORS

Damifino, any luck on getting yours in the air? just was wondering..

Mr70ss
Old 04-17-2005, 11:10 PM
damifino

Thanks for asking. Set up the radio and did final balance tonight. No ballast needed, battery and reciever are just ahead of Cg. I can't see how some people get away with moving the tail servos to the rear of the fuselage and still balance one of these planes! Need to adjust the aileron rods a little and glue the pilot and canopy. Looks like this week we'll maiden the thing, weather is spectacular and I think it's supposed to hold for several days. I'll post pictures soon.......
Old 05-20-2005, 05:26 AM
damifino

First flight was Tuesday. Everything worked perfectly! Made 5 flights and 7 landings. Need to move the Cg back to liven it up, Way too docile. Look for pictures soon, can't upload at this time.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:58 AM
F-16WpnsTech

Sounds great!! Waiting on pics....video? I had to mount the servos in the rear on mine. I'm thinking the balsa cowl added the weight although I didn't think it would. I did a CG check with the servos in the stock location and it was WAY nose heavy. It's still in bones right now, getting ready to cover.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:44 PM
damifino

Did you have control horns, tailwheel, pushrods etc. included in your Cg check? I saw the same thing until I included all that hard ware and the servos. Just a thought.......
Old 05-23-2005, 09:15 PM
damifino

Flew it again Saturday evening. The first flights including Saturday's were with a 12/8 prop. Wasn't really satisfied with performance as far as up lines and vertical and the plane floated forever on landing. So after the first flight Saturday I changed to a 13/6. Made a different plane out of it. Slowed down much better, very good flight performance at half throttle thru loops, rolls, hammerheads, etc. Does a nice snap roll too. Need to move the balance point back a good bit to liven it up and will probably help knife edge as well. Maybe needs more rudder throw. However, knife edge flight is nice and straight with just a touch of up elevator. Total of 10 flights so far. I'm really liking this thing. Still unable to post pictures.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:56 PM
damifino

Okay, finally have some pictures. Have 15 flights on it so far. Moved the Cg back a little, made it better. Gonna go further with it. Engine runs great, plane flies fantastic. Next up for this model is retractable landing gear. Bought a wing kit last month and will use Dave Brown mechanical gear that I picked up at a swap meet in the winter. This thing is such a floater that the extra weight shouldn't hurt a thing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60786.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	280073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50308.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	280074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68313.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	280075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87094.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	280076  
Old 07-01-2005, 11:14 PM
thejetgod
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damifino,

Two questions:

a) How did you manufacture your decals? and...
b) Have you started your wing with retracts yet?

Love your plane![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-08-2005, 09:23 PM
damifino

I made the decals using water slide decal paper from the hobby shop. Can't remember the brand name but they sell types for inkjet printers and laser printers. It comes in clear and white. If using the clear you must apply it to a white surface because the colors printed on it are transparent as well. The white paper is very thin so if applying it on a color other than white you may want to double it up or back it up with a white background. After printing the designs, letters, etc., let the page dry completely and use your favorite fuel proof clear spray (Lustrekote is what I used) to coat the printed page. Make sure your coverage is complete by doing about 3 light but thorough coats because the inkjet ink is water soluble. After drying you can then cut the designs from the sheet and apply them by soaking in a bowl of water and sliding them into postion on your plane. I brushed some of the clear around the edges to seal them to the Monokote. Over 20 flights so far and they still look great.

For virtually any logo you can imagine check out www.logosoftheworld.com
Old 02-22-2013, 05:13 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If anyone still has this old thread on their subscription list, Bruce Tharpe has made another run of these Venture 60 kits. And he hopes to offer the Delta Vortex soon as well.

Just my $.02

Bob
Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 AM
stefanP

I just recedived my kit.!!!!! Get them while they last!!
stefanP
Old 02-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

I just came across a Venture kit from the late 90's early 00's at my local hobby shop (a guy traded in 10 or 12 different kits NIB) for $79, and according to Bruce, nothing has changed. I bought that and a NIB Sig 4* 40 both for $110!....Boy im I lucky!
Old 09-04-2014, 03:58 AM
damifino

Not on RCU much, but want to let you guys know the Venture still flies and looks as good as the day it was finished. It is still on floats.
My 10 year old son, who was not born when I built it, flew it the other day! He is a great little pilot.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:11 AM
N1EDM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got one of those kits from Bruce's latest batch. I've got it squirreled away for now, looking for something unique to do with it.

I've built the Delta Vortex and can attest to the quality of BTE kits. I've got another one of those stashed in the corner too.

Bob
Old 09-04-2014, 04:33 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great thread. I'm repairing a V-60 that got broken some when my instincts got the better of me and I pulled back on the stick when it took a sudden drop toward the runway in the wind. It was inverted at the time, so that didn't end well. This has inspired me to move the cockpit back and clip the wings. It won't look as good as yours because I'm not going to re-do the nose (which was undamaged), but it should be a neat plane all the same. Thanks for posting about this!
Old 09-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Red_Jeepster

I have a Venture kit in my inventory, just waiting on the other projects to get out the door.
1. Repairing a friends BalsaUSA 1/3 J3 CUB
2. My own recovering of an original PRIME CUT from Dick Sarpolus plans.
3. My SUPER FLYING KING w DLE-85. (so far the tail feathers are completed, and that's it)

I did grab up the options from Bruce, while I wait. Extended LG, Dual Aileron kit, etc. So it is 'sort of' in the works.
OS .91 Surpass II up front, haven't decided how I will go about with the nose yet.... hmmm....