Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA Phaeton 90 servos

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA Phaeton 90 servos

Old 07-21-2004, 09:25 PM
BUflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA Phaeton 90 servos

Hey guys!

I am building a Balsa USA Phaeton 90 and have gotten to the point of mounting servos. I have done the aileron servos (one for each aileron, custom mounts that I am very proud of considering this is the first project that not everything has been layed out a certain way). Anyway, i need some advice on how and where to mount the rudder and elevator servos. I would like to set up a pull/pull system on the rudder and would like to mount the elevator servo as close to the elevator as possible.

Those of you who have built the plane will know that there isn't a lot of room in the tail of the Phaeton so I am really looking for some advice and some pics of what other guys have done and how those worked out.

Thanks

Tim
Old 07-22-2004, 06:15 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Balsa USA Phaeton 90 servos

I bought my P90 at a swapmeet in the bones and modified/finished it. Used a glass cowl from Stans. It was built tail heavy because it was sheeted on the aft section. When I got the plans I noticed that the plans showed the aft section unsheeted. I left it that way cause I didnt want to hack it up. Just laying the ground work for why I did it that way. My servos are mounted under the cockpit. Used pull-pull with a seperate servo tiller for the rudder and 4-40 steel rod for the elevator. I still had to add about 2 oz to the motor mount to balance as shown on the plans. Weighs 13 lb. (too heavy) but still flies good with a saito 1.20. Nice and slow. I also used a 4 aileron setup. Has a good roll on high rates. A pleasure to fly. If I were you I would mount the engine and all the equipment you can then start placing the servos to see where it balances so you dont have to add any extra weight. If you can put it in the tail, its no big deal if you dont mind surface mounting them on the sides of the fuse. Makes servicing easy and all you need to do is imbed some spruce or maple for mounting rails. If you didnt go with 4 ailerons, I would reconsider. It really opens up the flight envelope on this plane. I really like flying mine, just a pain to setup at the field. Mine is covered in solartex fabric and painted with rustoleum. How did you setup the incedences on the wings and stab? Mine are all 0-0-0. I have to fly with about 1/8" down elev trim for straight and level flight. Will modify that later to add about 2deg of negative incedence to the top wing. There is a LOT of lift in those wings.
Edwin
Old 07-22-2004, 06:16 AM
Edwin

I'll try and take some pics tonight with my new little cheap digital camera.
Edwin
Old 07-23-2004, 08:41 PM
BUflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I am only going with two ailerons, and i think it will be okay for the type of flying i am going to be doing. I have a Saito 1.50 up front so i know there will be plenty of power. I am really trying to trick out the servo set up and hiding them as much as possible (the servos themselves not necessarily the push rods and things). I also hate long push rods. That is why i want to mount the elevator servo in the tail, but i want to hide it with only the servo arm outside of the fuse. However, i still wnat to be able to get to it so i can service it if it needs it. I know i would have to put some kind of access hatch in there, but that is really why i am asking what other guys have done. I am also conserned about the elevator servo getting in the way of my rudder pull/pull wires and movement. Any advice?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Edwin

It would be tight in the back. I've attached pictures of how I did it.
Edwin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61171.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	157066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98761.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	157067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67080.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	157068  
Old 07-26-2004, 02:17 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently finished one for a customer. During the construction process I decided to add support in the tail for the installation of (2) elevator servos and (1) rudder servo.

It required that the balsa sheeted area be brought forward somewhat from the location shown on the planes to accept the installation of 1/16" plywood backing inside the webs of the fuselage. After cutting the holes for the servos, I added short hardwood rails for the servo mounts.

All in all, it worked out very well, and no additional weight was added for balance. Engine used was a G-26.

By the way, the Phaeton doesn't need 4 ailerons to fly well. It does just fine with only the two it has.