Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for first build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Suggestions for first build

Old 07-26-2004, 07:40 PM
macaddicted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for first build

Greetings,

I am just beginning in R/C airplanes, and thinking already about building a plane. I currently have little flight experience but I would like to build something that would serve both as a good second plane (I currently have a NexStar) for when I get better at flying, and as an introduction to building. From what I have seen so far looking through catalogs and on the web I think I would like to begin with a kit. The scale planes look interesting, but I'm guessing are a poor choice for a first build. I think I would like to keep the size around .40-.60, but I'm open to suggestions.

Information on what equipment I should have on hand would be appreciated, as would suggestions for books or web sites that could be of use.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Irish R.Seer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Suggestions for first build

The Sig Four Star series of kits,(40 or 60 size), are an easy first kit to build and are also great fliers. With these kits you will need the bare minimum of tools, i.e. balsa knife set, razor saw, drill with various bits, glues,ca and epoxy. For finishing you'll need an iron and heat gun if you intend to use the iron on covering. Good luck

Bill
Old 07-26-2004, 07:57 PM
TexAg78

I built a Sig 4*40 for my first kit. It was a great build, but I personally didn't care for it's flight characteristics at the time (I would probably like it better now). I understand the Sig Mid Star is another great choice, and probably a better 2nd plane because of its mid wing design. It looks like it would build similarly to the 4*. I'm sure you'll get lots of other good suggestions as well.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:17 AM
DaveB

You may want to consider the Great Planes Easy Sport kit. It's a mid-wing design that is sturdily built and is a good flier. It is capable of most, if not all the maneuvers you would be learning in the beginning and intermediate pilot categories. It's a 40-46 size and reasonably priced. I think you would like it.

DaveB
Old 07-27-2004, 06:33 AM
skier

I'll second the Easy Sport. As DaveB said it's capable of many maneuvers. It lands as easy as a trainer and flies great. It is much easier to go inverted with than a trainer. For me it was the perfect second plane.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:27 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll give a third vote for the Easy Sport, and I'll throw another contender into the ring... Take a look at the new Great Planes Rapture. It's specifically designed as an easy build for the new builder and as a great second plane.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:37 PM
macaddicted

Take a look at the new Great Planes Rapture. It's specifically designed as an easy build for the new builder and as a great second plane.
Thanks to all for your suggestions. Of the three I think I like the Rapture the most, though it brings up one more question. Is the low wing going to be a problem when I try to fly it? Am I better getting off with one of the other planes and saving the Rapture for a third plane? (Sheesh, I still have learning to do on my first plane and I'm already thinking about a third plane.)
Old 07-27-2004, 08:27 PM
MinnFlyer

Everyone is different, so I can't say that it will be good for YOU.

But for the average flier who has a VERY good command of his trainer, it shouldn't be a problem.

Have an experienced pilot do the maiden flight, and hook up a buddy box if you've got the shakes. but the low wing shouldn't frighten you. It's designed to be an easy plane to fly.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:08 PM
TexAg78

I checked out the Rapture on TH website. Good looking kit. The description says it's an "ideal first low-wing model for intermediate modeler/flyers." With it's light wing loading I bet it flies much like the 4*, which you might find easier to build. For a second plane, I think I would try the Midstar, but that's just me. I also have an Easy Sport ARF. It's a great second plane, too, although it's about a pound heavier than the Rapture.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:38 AM
MinnFlyer

I haven't built a Rapture, but I HAVE built MANY other GP models, and I have also built a 4*. I'd be willing to bet that the Rapture would be as easy or easier to build than the 4*.

The Rapture was designed by GP as a direct competitor to the 4*. It would only make sense to make it an easy build (IE, no LE sheeting, no cap strips etc)
Old 07-28-2004, 09:07 AM
MrSteve09

Hi There,...

I'd like to through out another possibility. I have a personal fondness for the Goldberg Tiger 2 (40 size) or if you want it a little bigger the Tiger 60 (60 size). I believe either of these planes would be easy to build, as the fuselage is a lite Ply box, and the wing is simple D tube construction. Both planes are "excellent" fliers!! They are stable, predictable, and have excellent slow flight characteristics. Both planes are available as ARFs or build yourself kits. Personally I was a sissy and bought the ARF Tiger 2. Although I wish I build it myself, but then again, its the only ARF that I've had that I really like, ha!!

Hope that helps. Feel free to contat me if you'd like more information.

Signed,
Steve T.
Monson, Massachusetts
Old 07-28-2004, 05:49 PM
mars

macaddicted...... like Macs? Get a load of this site. Very funny!

http://members.cox.net/clyqz/mac.swf
Old 07-28-2004, 05:55 PM
iowanspctr

I went to the shop to buy a 4-star .40. Was talked into buying a Tiger2 kit instead. Am very happy with it! It's a go where your point it plane that lands easily. I did build mine as a tail-dragger.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:23 PM
heli-savage

My first build and trainer was the 4*40. I flew a few electric park flyers before that. The 4*40 was an excellent kit, very easy to build and very high quality, also cheaper than the others mentioned, I think! With such a big wing, and such a light plane, it is very easy to fly. I threw a OS 40LA in mine (cheap engine) and it got along just fine.

I was in your situation last year and after much research opted for the 4*40. I recently crashed it trying to do a stupid low speed inverted pass about 4 feet off the ground. I had such a good experience with that plane, I will always have a four star in my hanger. Planning to build a 60 next. I also built a Sig Hig Bipe - another high quality, excellent build kit. Good luck on your choice.

Dion
Old 07-28-2004, 07:49 PM
bluebikerblan

Sounds to me like you're in much the same positon I was this time last year, though I had more building experience with building perhaps. I loved getting going again with GP's PT-40 and the flying experience with the high wing. I ended up building both and A and B wing version (high and low degrees of dihedral. Still fly it a lot and even think of building a third version with even less di-hedral. Great Planes and Sig are my favorite new builder kits. Great Planes instructions can't be beat. BOL Blue
Old 07-29-2004, 06:30 PM
bullfrog
My Feedback: (2)

My first build was a top flight Contender, real nice plane, easy to build, but was just a little too much for my ability. Second kit was a tower fun-51; real easy build, real cheap, and one of the best flyers i have had to date. I transitioned from trainers to this plane and found it easy to fly and landings are better (easier) than my trainer. it also took me as far as 3d flying and learning basic pattern flying. I got lots of bangs for my buck
Old 07-31-2004, 08:51 PM
macaddicted

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I truly appreciate it. I downloaded the manuals for the Uproar, Easy Sport and Rapture (couldn't find one online from SIG, and Goldberg charges to download their manual []). I'm debating between the Uproar (less expensive kit, somewhat easier construction) and the Rapture (looks more complicated to build and cover, more expensive). The Rapture is the plane I want, and will help me to begin to develop building skills I will need if I continue to build, so if I do try this then the Rapture will probably be the plane I choose.

Again, thanks to all of you who responded.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:17 PM
TexAg78

I've built the Uproar, and I think it would be a great first kit. It is an easy build and very cheap. It is also extremely light. With a TT46 I have essentially unlimited vertical performance. It is very responsive (especially the ailerons) and will go where you point it, so you will really need to dial down the throws to make it a suitable second plane. If you build the Uproar I would point out two things to consider. I think the rudder and (to a lesser extent) the elevator areas need to be increased. The other is to point out the fuel tank compartment is restricted. I had to go with a 6 oz tank. If I build another (which I may very well) I will be looking for a way to increase the depth of the compartment to hold an 8 oz tank.