Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

1/5 Pepsi Chipmunk - Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

1/5 Pepsi Chipmunk - Build

Old 08-28-2004, 07:20 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1/5 Pepsi Chipmunk - Build

A couple of more photos!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76910.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	168308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60560.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	168309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79073.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	168310  
Old 09-05-2004, 03:55 AM
apalsson

This weekend, I figured it wasn't flying weather, so I spent it building the Pepsi Chipmunk.

Since the last posting, a lot has been done and she is now starting to look like a plane. (well, remotely, at least)

Top of the fuse has been sheeted and the fuel tank is fitted. Since I'm using a gas engine, a 16oz tank should suffice.
I also fitted a second 16oz tank for smoke fuel and ran the plumbing out through the firewall. There is a one-way valve in the pressure line to prevent back pressure from the muffler driving the smoke fuel back into the tank.

Early on in the piece, I decided not to fit the elevator and rudder servos exposed in the tail but inside the fuselage. The servo tray has a couple of cutouts which I decided to use. Therefore, I glued on the horizontal stabiliser, the elevator spanning platform and the vertical stab.
I then shaped and glued in the filler pieces that continue the turtle deck past the rudder and drilled holes for rudder pull-pull cables.
Because the rudder is fully above the horizontal stab, these cables will have to be visible above the stab. This should not look too bad though if I use thin kevlar cables or one of the Dubro pull-pull kits. I ran some ny-rod outer tube as guides for the pull-pull cables into the servo compartment. I don't like having the cables un-guides, as it's not a straight run.

I then cut slots for elevator pushrods and made up the pushrod. I made it from a hardwood dowel with 4-40 wires in a fork configuration for the elevators and a single rod for the servo.

I rough shaped the lower corner of the aft fuselage. This will need further sanding.

Initially, I had been planning to make up my own wing fairings from 1/32 ply and some balsa scrap but when I had played with the ABS fairings a bit, I decided to fit them now. Once they were glued on, I used some light filler and filled in along them to blend them into the fuselage sides. It will be hard to cover the fairings, due to the curve but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

I also rough cut the cowl for the G38 and was pleasantly surprised with how little will protrude. The G38 looks like an excellent choice for this plane.

I have not weighed the plane with the engine but I suspect it will come close to 13 or 14 pounds.

I am posting a few photos of the progress so far.

Ari

Name:	Nl30972.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	170387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19617.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	170388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77260.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	170389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77334.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	170390  
Old 09-14-2004, 08:49 AM
ronaldh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day Ari,

I came across one of your earlier posts regarding the difficulty of starting your Moki 180 in the inverted position (sept 2003). I would be interested to know as I am just about to install my 180 in the RCAF Chipmunk. Apart from the problems of oiled up plugs the BCM inverted muffler might interfere with the cowl...resulting in large chunks cut away. What method do you use for starting? Clockwise flip to start? Have'nt started mine yet as muffler not yet available.

Would you consideror/ recommend mounting the motor sideways with the cylinder head poking through the cowl and using the Pitts style muffler?

You might be interested to know that Great Planes is manufacturing an ARTF Chipmunk apparently based on the Ohio R/C Kit. Tower Hobbies are marketing it. Has exactly the same dimensions as ours but they recommend only a 120 FS at 13-14 lbs weight? See the ARF or RTF forum on this web site on page 2.

Regards
Ron
Old 09-14-2004, 12:41 PM
apalsson

Hi Ron,

I mounted the Moki inverted in that case as I didn't like the exposed head through the cowl. I have since had recommendations to change the plug to an OS F type plug and restrict one of the exhaust stacks to gain better back pressure.

I haven't had time to try this out but will probably do next weekend.

I hadn't seriously tried the "back flip" method but the general opinion seems to be that it should work well.

Do you have any photos of your new RCAF?

Ari
Old 09-14-2004, 04:09 PM
ronaldh

Ari,
Sorry no photos..... like I mentioned the other day I must be the last bloke in the UK without a digital camera. Most of the construction completed but still lots of sanding/shaping to do. Fuselage looks very fragile for Moki 180. From your photos my version is different to yours in that it does not have intermediate formers between firewall and wing leading edge.

I notice you have gone the single servo route for elevators. Are you using the Hitec 645MG servo as used in the Penzoil (7.7kg torque). Wonder if using two less powerful servos, say JR 591 at 5.5kg each, is practical?

Sounds like you are using an electric starter for the moki.

Cheers
Ron
Old 09-17-2004, 02:36 PM
apalsson

Hi Ron,

What engine does Apache recommend for the RCAV? I have heard that they are fantastic flying planes.

Yes, I decided to use a 645MG for the elevators on the Pepsi. I suspect that will be plenty as that is what I also used on the Pennzoil. If it proves to be tight, I can easily add a second servo for them.
Two 5.5Kg servos should also be plenty.

I had been using an electrix starter but had all kinds of problems. Some helpful people in the Glow Engines forum have helped me out with better ways to start it.

Best regards

Ari
Old 09-19-2004, 01:40 PM
ronaldh

Hello Ari,

Apache recommends any of the larger moki glow motors such as the 180/210 sizes,Super Tigre 3000/3250 or the Zenoah G23/G26 petrol engines for the RCAF Chipmunk. Although, web chat suggests that smaller motors such as the OS 120fs are often used in the UK (noise problems?)

The cowl on the RCAF version is narrower than on the Pepsi or Pennzoil (not having the cheeks). I found that using the moki 180 inverted and the BCM inverted muffler would mean cutting a massive hole in the cowl. After days of painful deliberation I have finally opted to mount the motor sideways and use the BCM Pitts muffler. Ok, I know it looks ugly from that side of the model with the cylinder head poking through but at least the exhaust is staight forward.

It might also resolve some of the starting problems.

Cheers
Ron
Old 09-19-2004, 01:47 PM
apalsson

Hi Ron,

Would the G26 fit inside the cowl without much cutting?
Also - what kind of a gear arrangement do they have. - fixed or retracts?

One of these would nicely finish off my line of Chipmunks
Old 09-20-2004, 01:31 PM
ronaldh

Ari,

My Chipmunk plans show a Zenoah G23 (earlier version of the G26) fitted on the plan view (model as seen from above) with only the carburetor exposed through the side of the cowl.......remember the full size standard version (RAF or RCAF) has a much narrower cowl than the high powered hotted up aerobatic Pepsi and Pennzoil. Have a look at Apache Aviation's website which shows all the variations.
The cowl starts the same size as the firewall (+/- 6'' and reduces to about 5'' at the carb.

I guess a lot depends on what silencer/ muffler you are thinking of using as the plans do not show this. The stock muffler is very flat and would probably fit.

All Airforce Chipmunks have fixed gear, only the Pennzoil had retracts(??)

We have two here at nearbye RAF base. They are used to train pilots learning to fly Spifires for the Battle of Britain memorial flight.

Ron
Old 09-20-2004, 01:51 PM
apalsson

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing how you end up with your RCAV.

I haven't done much on my Pepsi Chipmunk for a while, work has been getting in the way of my building.
I have the fuse fully framed up now and have painted the cockpit interior. I am working on an instrument panel made from a JTEC 1/5 kit and hope to have that done by next week or so.

The wing is more or less ready. I still need to glue in the reinforcement plates for the aileron control horns and will probably modify that somewhat.
Apart from that, some final sanding and I will start thinking about covering.

I will be changing the landing gear fairings. I didn't like the way Mike designed them from 1/16" balsa sheets wrapped around a 1/2" dowel, so I will be shaping them out of some pre-cut aileron stock.

Will post a few more photos when I get a chance.

Regards

Ari
Old 09-27-2004, 12:01 AM
apalsson

I haven't had much time to spend on the Chipmunk but been doing bits and pieces, a few minutes at a time. I guess it all adds up, as everything is not fully framed up and some final sanding to be done.

I have also been working on the spats and the strut covers. I decided to discard the materials that came with the kit for the strut covers but make my own out of something a bit more solid.
The other deviation from the instructions is that all the servos are now inside the plane and pull-pull cables to link up the rudder.

I have temporarily fitted the cowl, the canopy is roughly cut aned I have painted the cockpit flat back.

I tried to modify the stock muffler that came with the G38 but didn't have much luck. I admit that I'm not much good with metal work but I have made a deal with a friend to braze a piece of a 5/8 pipe to the lower end of the muffler and a small Brigg and Stratton lawn mower muffler on the end to form a secondary muffler. The B&S is fairly open and I am convinced that I am providing a better exhaust path through this than the small louvres on the stock muffler did. Therefore, there should be little or no power loss but a quieter and better sounding engine.

Not far off covering now!

As a summary:
The only areas where I have devoiated from the design is the strut covers, the servo placement and some minor changes around the fuel tank floor. I also reinforced somewhat the wing trailing edges where the Robart hinge points are mounted. This was more of a peace of mind thing than out of necessity because I think with everything assembled, it would have been plenty strong.

The build has been relatively easy. The kit is exceptionally well thought out and so far, I haven't had to replace a single wood item that was included. The only thing I replaced (strut covers) was out of preference. All have been of top quality.

Ari
Old 09-27-2004, 12:17 AM
apalsson

I don't know why the photos didn't upload properly. Trying here ..

Name:	Yw67482.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	177235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61929.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	177236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46205.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	177237  
Old 09-27-2004, 12:21 AM
apalsson

And some more ..

Name:	Sq46564.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	177238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86407.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	177239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63299.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	177240  
Old 10-02-2004, 10:24 PM
apalsson

I have been working on mountng the motor and doing other pre-covering work.

A friend at work modified the muffler for me by brazing a 5/8" brass pipe to it and then adding a secondary cannister muffler to the end. The secondary is a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower muffler which I hope won't restrict the engine much and give that nice "deep throaty" sound I'm after.

The cowl is cut and primed. The engine fits nicely with limited cutting or extruding parts visible except from below.
I had to deepen the cooling duct underneath the fuse to make room for the muffler. Apart from that, it all went in rather easy.

Name:	Cz80146.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	178970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58928.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	178971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77197.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	178972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv59654.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	178973  
Old 10-04-2004, 05:10 PM
dirty fokker

Hi chaps,have only just joined RC universe and have read your building progress with interest.I built the apache r.a.f trainer last year,I put a fuji 32 petrol in her,I mounted it inverted and because it is a rear exhaust it easily fits into the narrower cowl.I only had to cut a small hole underneath for the spark plug,and a small hole in the port side to allow the carb some breathing space.She was a little nose heavy at first but a slight ajustment to the c of g and she fly's like a dream.they are a quality kit and a pleasure to build.keep up the good work. DEL
Old 10-10-2004, 10:37 AM
ronaldh

Ari,

How did you finish the canopy on your Pennzoil chipmunk? Paint or film from the inside or outside?

Experimenting with profilm at low temperature I find that you can iron on the film to simulate the panel frames on the canopy material (lexan?). It bonds into the canopy material and is permanent. I haven't tried it on the original yet though.

Ron
Old 10-10-2004, 01:24 PM
apalsson

HI Ron,

I painted the canopy frames (outside) with Lustrekote. I have never used film to do it and painting seemed easier. It came out quite well.

Ari
Old 10-22-2004, 05:15 PM
apalsson

As of late, I have been slack posting on building progress.
I have now completed most of the tail and fuselage. The rudder and elevator servos are Hitec 645MG and other servos are standard HD servos. Still haven't decided on aileron or flaps servos.
The elevator is driven by a fork-type pushrod made out of a hardwood dowel (3/8"??) and 4-40 threaded rods.
Rudder is a pull-pull arrangement because I didn't like the setup in the Pennzoil which was a control arm on the tail wheel bracket grabbing a wire that joined into the rudder, tightened with a grub screw.

I still haven't completed the fairings. They are primed white but I need to get some matching missile red and insignia blue paint to extend the stripes all the way down.

The underside of the wing is covered except the blue front because I need to align that with the blue front of the fuselage. The underside white will be covered with the same type of checkerboard as the rudder.

That's actually quite easy with the Windex method.

I sent a template of the instrument panel and a few photos of the full sized one to Joe from Diamond Panels to make me a panel for the plane. I have bought panels from him before and the workmanship has been nothing short of excellent.

I will be fitting a 1/5 pilot figure as well. May go for a toy though as I often find the pilot figures unrealistic.

Ari

Name:	Sq45706.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	185477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24951.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	185478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30535.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	185479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91099.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	185480  
Old 10-22-2004, 05:17 PM
apalsson

Here's the underside of the wing

Name:	Gd94022.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	185481  
Old 10-23-2004, 11:45 AM
wrongwaywayne

What are the measurments of the cowl and canopy? I am building a Dynaflite chipmunk (89" wingspan). I would like to try and convert it to a Super chipmunk. I would order parts from apache if they fit. Do they have a North American supplier?
Old 10-23-2004, 01:23 PM
apalsson

I'll ry to measure the cowl and canopy for you when I get a chance. Apache don't have overseas distributors but are very good with shipping to any part of the world. They have hipmunks in all corners, Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Europe.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:35 PM
wrongwaywayne

Much apreciated.

I know Art Scholl modified the tail feathers and cowl. Do you know how or if he modified the wing?
Old 10-23-2004, 09:59 PM
apalsson

The wing was strengthened and shortened.
The person who can tell you all about the different versions is Mike Clewes from Apache Aviation
(www.apacheproducts.co.uk). If you e-mail them, Mike is very likely to assist. He is very helpful.

The Pennzoil cowl is 8 1/2" tall and 6 1/4" wide. Firewall to nose ring is approximately 6 3/4"
This is from the Apache Pennzoil Chipmunk (N13Y)

Hope this helps

Ari
Old 10-23-2004, 11:30 PM
wrongwaywayne

Thanks, that very helpfull. Dynaflite is a tad narower and deeper. Should be able to modify things. I'll email Apache.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:31 AM
apalsson

We are close now.
The Pepsi is fully covered and painting is done.
All that's left to do now is to fit some servos and engine kill switch and adjust throws.
Balance is correct, but I had to hide quite a bit of lead in the tail to offset the heavier engine and the servos I moved up front.

Look forward to flying the plane. Maybe another 2 - 3 weeks now

Name:	Ig11439.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	194605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90654.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	194606  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.