Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tiger 60 build questions

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tiger 60 build questions

Old 07-29-2004, 10:46 AM
fokkerflyer
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger 60 build questions

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to dive into an older CG Tiger 60 kit, (non deluxe version). I would like to install mechanical retracts on it (especially since I just bought them here on RCU!). Does anyone have experience with adding the trike retracts on the basic version? I've heard a lot of positive things about converting to tail dragger, but after seeing a fellow club member buzzing his deluxe model around, that got me going. I fly off of grass, and the retracts I've purchased are dave brown trikes. This will be my first complete kit, I'm currently working on a TF Cessna 182, which I'm suspending work on to get the Tiger built. I plan on bolting a Saito 91 up front. I'm just curious on how much it takes to modify/reinforce the structure to accomodate the retracts. Perhaps a manual for the deluxe version would be helpful? Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Happy flying,
Richard
Old 07-29-2004, 06:37 PM
cknaack
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Tiger 60 build questions

Hey Fokker,

I always wanted to say that! (I'll bet you get that alot)

The deluxe kit addendum will go a long way to answer your questions. It is a bit of work, but very possible. I have done 3 of the deluxe kits. 2 of 3 are still flying. The airplane looks great with the gear up!

I know you just bought the mechanicals, but air is really the best way to go if you want to retract the nose wheel IMO. Robart has the right setup.

Send me a PM with your address and I'll dig out one of my spare manuals.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21893.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	158752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85381.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	158753  
Old 08-02-2004, 10:31 AM
fokkerflyer

Thanks cknaack,

I've sent you a PM, but again, have to say those are sweet looking Tigers! Thanks again for your offer to send me the manual as well. What are the drawbacks/benefits between air and mechanical? The only thing I can think of is 'scale'-like motion/speed. What does IMO mean? (I'm kinda new!) Do you fly off of grass? A fellow club member has the deluxe kit, powered by an OS91 pumper, and I noticed his nose gear plowing/collapsing a bit on landings.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:20 PM
cknaack
My Feedback: (1)

Richard,

Thanks for the compliment. They fly as good as they look.

The manuals are on the way as of this afternoon.

As far as retracts go, here is my $.02 (opinions will vary)
Mechanicals
Pros: Typically lighter overall, no air leakage or air lines to worry about.
Cons: Sometimes they require a bit of pushrod tweaking, the sevo has to be at the right level for servo arm clearance, you may need a special servo if you are not using a computer radio, and if the gear binds, you can really draw a battery down in a hurry.

Air
Pros: easy to set up (especially the nose wheel), more choices of suppliers.
Cons: Air leaks can result in belly landings, (unless you use the Spring Air type) and the whole set up tends to be a tad heavier.

You can obtain scale like speed with both versions. A variable speed air valve (air) and a servo slower (mechanical) will do the trick.

My personal preference is air, and it has worked well for me. I also live close to Robart, which helps if I need parts or service.

Robart makes the complete setup for your Tiger, and that is what the kit is designed for. You could use other gear, no doubt, but I do not know how much work is required to make it work and I am not aware of any mechanical nose gear on the market. (although I would bet that some one offers it)
I don't think that the plane would look right with the mains up and the nose wheel down.

IMO is lazy typing for "in my opinion" (I type with two fingers)

I fly off grass, and do not have any issues with my nose gear. All three of the Tigers I built used O.S. 61 FX's for power, and there is plenty! It sounds like he may have a weak gear, or the nose is just heavy. Hard to tell from where I am sitting.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:44 PM
fokkerflyer

Richard,

Looking forward to the manual, thanks again. Also for your input, all very good points. It seems like it will be pretty difficult to get a servo in a location convenient enough to actuate all three retracts (mechanical variety). M The Dave Brown units I've bought does include nose gear. That's cool that you live close to Robart, pretty convenient. Since you like the Tiger 60 so much, do you have any experience with the Super Chipmunk from Goldberg? I've heard good things about that plane as well, also that it makes a good first low winger.

Thank you,
Richard
Old 08-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Oregon Craig

ORIGINAL: cknaack

Hey Fokker,

I always wanted to say that! (I'll bet you get that alot)
"Are you a pothead, Fokker?"