Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Re-entering the hobby after a hiatus

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Re-entering the hobby after a hiatus

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 01:21 AM
MathmanAHS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-entering the hobby after a hiatus

Hello all,

I am trying to decide what best to do. I have been away from flying for about 6 years and am planning on returning shortly. I had been flying a Goldberg Ultimate.

For my return, I am currently trying to decide between a couple of options:

1. New plane and engine (looking into a GP 40 sized Extra and an OS 46AX). Using the same radio setup, though with new batteries (Futaba 7UAF).

2. Same Ultimate, new engine, recovering it with a different scheme. It currently has a K&B 61 on it. If I go with a new engine, I will most likely get an ST 90 with a Slimline Pitts muffler. It currently has a generic and bland white and blue finish on it (not to mention it isn't the best job in the world either), and I would probably go with a red and yellow scheme this time. Of course, the cowl will be replaced as well with a fiberglass substitute.

Both options would end up costing around the same amount. I am leaning towards #2 because it seems at least to be the shortest amount of time involved (though after removing the original covering, I am sure the amount of sanding will remain the same), and I really liked the way the Ultimate flew, though it was woefully underpowered.

Anyways, I was just looking for some input from those that are more in tune with the current state of the hobby right now.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:33 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Re-entering the hobby after a hiatus

Either option sounds good, But why not go with #2, but add a good 4-stroke? A YS 110 would be dynamite in that plane (It'll suck less fuel than a 2-stroke 90 too)
Old 08-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Azcat59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Re-entering the hobby after a hiatus

I too would vote for the Ultimate. If you were flying it before, I think you might be a little disappointed with the 40 size plane....they are just a little more "flitty". I would consider a Magnum 108, or OS 108. I have an ASP 108 in my ten year old Ultimate.....nice combo, and my buddy has the OS 108. Or a 120 Webra, which is really kind of overkill.

Welcome back to the hobby, which ever way you choose!

Clair