Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Bridi Killer Chaos Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bridi Killer Chaos Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridi Killer Chaos Build Thread

First, I would like to say thanks for everybody that posted a reply to my Bridi Killer Chaos(Kaos) question thread, this is my first true builders kit that I'm going to tackle, it's not my plane, but a friend and mentor of mine at my club, he had this kit for over 2 years and has no time to build it, so I'm going to build it for free, as a payback for all the help he has giving me. I'ved built other kit planes for me, but not this complex, it will be be a good chalenge for me for sure, but I want to do it right for him and build a reputation as a good plane builder, I'm looking at building planes just from plans, since I can't find kits (not ARFS) of what I want to do, I think this build will help me with my goals.
If anybody has any input or experience on building this plane, please feel free to post, this will be a learning experience for me and for anybody who would like to tackle this plane, I'm a bit intimidated 'cause it's not mine and I want to do a super job, but I'm commited and prepaired to replace the kit if it fails.
I have progess pictures of the left wing panel in the works, should I keep posting this thread and progess build?, I need motivation so I don't screw up.
Joe[8D]
Old 08-05-2004, 02:44 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: Bridi Killer Chaos Build Thread

By all means, let's see the pictures. Maybe I should clear the bench, dig out my Killer Chaos kit, see if I can keep up with you. First question is, what engine? I would think maybe 91 two-stroke offhand, but open to discussion.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:46 AM
Joe Ortiz

Pictures will be on the way, I have a few of the left wing panel buildup. The plane will be a tail dragger with dual ailerons and I think the owner wants to put in a 90 2 stroke. It will be a slow build, so I'll post as I go along.
Joe[8D]
Old 08-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Joe Ortiz

Ok, he we go, no turning back on this, I'm comitted[:@], this should be a fun experience for me. First two pictures, the plane box with the plane instructions, just a bunch of wood with no pictures on the plan or box whatsoever, not even the instructions, and the plan on the work bench. I almost backed out of building this plane, but where else would I get the experience of building a Builders Kit!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14470.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	160989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12800.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	160990  
Old 08-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Joe Ortiz

Left wing panel on the board, it's built upside down, the instruction sequence kinda sucks[:'(], so I'm doing it my way, I added 3/8 inch cap strips to the leading and trailing edge of the ribs to secure alignment, since they are sloted for some resome, so I took advantage of it, but it was not called for in the book, I placed the top spar in place and glued everything together at the same time.

Name:	Rp43834.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	161310  
Old 08-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Joe Ortiz

Some of the ribs are about 1/8 inch shorter than the others, So I put a straight board on the trailing edge and trimed them up, added the leading and trailing edge at this time, the wood cut in this kit is really bad, I had to replace two ribs due to they are too thin or termite damage[:@]

Name:	Hf10338.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	161313  
Old 08-06-2004, 09:15 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Joe Ortiz

Some of the ribs are about 1/8 inch shorter than the others, So I put a straight board on the trailing edge and trimed them up, added the leading and trailing edge at this time, the wood cut in this kit is really bad, I had to replace two ribs due to they are too thin or termite damage[:@]

From what I see so far it looks great! I’m pleased to see from the landing gear block rib doublers on your bench that you plan to keep the beauty and function of the trike landing gear. Nothing worse that taking one of these beautiful and timeless designs and making them into silly looking tail draggers. It is really too bad they stopped scoring take off and landings in Pattern competition.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:28 PM
Joe Ortiz

From what I see so far it looks great! I’m please to see from the landing gear block rib doublers on your bench that you plan to keep the beauty and function of the trike landing gear.
8178, I wish I could have kept it as a trike, just to make it easy, but the owner want's a tail dragger with dual ailerons. I'm going to build it to his specs, I can back out any time on the build, but I'm not, good chalenge, I just want the experience, it will come in handy when I start building from plans.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:13 AM
Kaos Rulz

Joe - You've got the right idea about the rib slots. I used 1" aluminum 90 deg. angle stock suspended between two short 2x4's layed on their sides at the root and tip of the wing plans. Use one aluminum strip for the leading edge, and one for the trailing edge. Makes a very good wing jig.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:03 PM
Joe Ortiz

Joe - You've got the right idea about the rib slots
I thought I use it to give it strength, so far it worked out pretty good. One thing I noticed is the lack of shear webs, so I'll be adding it the back side of the spar, I don't need a wing folding in the air.
The next picture the leading and trailing being sheeted and the landing gear block in place.

Name:	Mk24929.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	162180  
Old 08-09-2004, 06:18 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe, it's looking good so far ! Good luck on your build. What's the wing span on the chaos ? On the tailwheel, I'll recommend the sullivan gear.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Joe Ortiz

Rajul, since there is no specs in the manual, I expect it to be between 60 and 64 inches, the kit is challenging, but I expect to complete it, even with all the problems I running into, this will be my entry to the scratch building world.
Witch Sullivan gear you had in mind?, I'm open to sudgestions.
Joe
Old 08-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Joe Ortiz

Some more sheeting and mocking up the servo rails.

Name:	Zx71381.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	162879  
Old 08-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

OOOOHHH!
Im gonna do that! Never did like the aileron servos in the center of the wing.
Have to mention: Just got hold of another Tower Kaos kit to stash with the rest of my kits.
ORIGINAL: Joe Ortiz

Some more sheeting and mocking up the servo rails.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Joe Ortiz

Fubar, thanks for the comments, as I said before, this is my first builders kit, and I'm enjoying the challenge, it's not mine, so it's super special to me that it's done right, so far it's coming out good, besides some set backs of non fitting parts, I'm learning how to fabricate what I need and read plans and do modifications to make it work, I want to scracht build a plane one day.
Joe
Old 08-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Joe Ortiz

This is the top side of the left wing panel. I will build some kind of servo extension tube, in case it need replacement, hopefully not. I will add 1/4" triangle stock to the landing gear block for reinforcement, looks like I will add shear webs that it's not called for, I don't want this wing to fold.
Joe

Name:	Yw67712.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	162918  
Old 08-12-2004, 06:06 AM
Kaos Rulz

Joe,

That wing doesn't need the shear webs unless you're putting them in strictly for peace-of-mind.
Correctly built, as you are doing, that wing will take anything you can give it. (well ---anything in the air anyway.)
I've built several, and flown the fool out of them with no wing calamities.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:34 AM
Joe Ortiz

Thanks for input ED, yes, the shear webs are for a peace of mind, I don't need something going wrong.
Joe
Old 08-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

The tri stock reinforcement of LG blocks is an excellent idea. I added the tri stock after replacing both original LG blocks that cracked and split for some unknow reason. No problems since.

I just looked at mine(red transparent monokote). Apparently the Utter Chaos plan calls for shear webs, as mine has them.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always used to let my landing gear blocks extend over 3 ribs and put the vertical part on the other side of the rib. Using 3 ribs distributes the landing load over a longer area.

In the old, original Bridi Koas kits from the 1970's, all the ribs had two 1/4 inch diameter holes for a jig. You bought two 1/4 inch steel rods at Ace, slid the ribs on and laid the assembly across 2 hair spray of spray paint cans, something to keep the rods supported and parallel. You built the wing, then slid the rods out. I built 3 of them this way, starting in 1971.

Bridi never used dihedral braces on any plane. You butt glued the wings together and used 6 ounce fiberglass cloth and 30-minute epoxy for strength. I never has one fail.

I recently test flew a Tower Kaos ARF for one of the guys. Brought back memories. They were the top pattern plane in those days. Nearly everyone had one. They are still hard to beat for a sport flier. The thick airfoil tends to keep the speed more constant in maneuvers and the tapered wing rolls better than a straight chord one. The long fuselage also made the plane groove better in maneuvers-not be so pitch sensitive. When I started flying a Kaos, my flying got a lot better and it wasn't me. I may have to buy one for old times sake.

Nice job on your construction, by the way. You are going to like that plane.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:57 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe, sorry for my late response. here's the link for the Sullivan tail gear http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFV47&P=ML
Old 08-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Joe Ortiz

Nice job on your construction, by the way. You are going to like that plane.
Thanks, but the plane is not mine, I'm building it for a friend.

Thanks for the link Rajul.
Joe[8D]
Old 08-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Joe Ortiz

I made a block for the wing holdown screw, the slot will go through the rib retainer that was installed when I was assembling the wing.

Name:	Rp44128.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	163150  
Old 08-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Joe Ortiz

Block installed and trailing edge sheeting in place.

Name:	Zw69487.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	163157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65409.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	163158  
Old 08-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Joe Ortiz

An update, I made a servo extention tube and added shear webs, I won't sheet the top untill I join the wings together, this way I have something to grip.

Name:	Fd91769.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	163879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27350.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	163880  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.