Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Ultimate bought in garage sale

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Ultimate bought in garage sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goldberg Ultimate bought in garage sale

I picked up this Ultimate from a widows garage sale. I am in the process of stripping it down and going to recover it. It didn't have a great power plant in it (Fox74) and I am looking at a new power plant for it. I was reading that a OS 1.08 was a fine engine for it. What else would you all recomend? My top dollar is right in the $300 range.

I am also converting the wings from a single servo on the aleron to a dual set up. Anyone have pictures of how they did it? I don't have the instructions to show me how. I think I might just have to get creative.

The servos where also all mounted up front. Is there a way to set up the tail so that all the servos can be back there? Pictures?

If you guys have some tips on this bird I would be greatfull.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:11 PM
Sport Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Ultimate bought in garage sale

Mine has a SuperTigre G90. It powers it nicely. A 120 4Stroke would probably be ideal.

All my servos are upfront as well. Use good 4-40 pushrods.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:31 AM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

I just built the ARF version and used an OS 120 surpass pumped 4 stroke in it. This engine is perfect for this plane. It has unlimited vertical and will cruse around at 1/2 half throttle really nice. My plane balanced on the recommended CG with only adding 1 oz of lead at the very rear of the fuse. I was going to move the elevator and rudder servo's back to the rear but didn't need too. I would leave the rudder and elevator servo's in the stock locations. On my plane I used a servo for each elevator half and ran carbon composit sullivan control rods to each elevator half. The aileron 2 servo's in the lower wing and then the upper wing ailerons are slaved to the lower with control rods. I will try to take some pictures of the setup for you. You should be able to modify the wing for 2 servo's easily. This is a really great flying plane and you will love it.

Rick
Old 08-09-2004, 06:16 AM
Ken Bryant

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to see your servo tray layout in the ARF. Right now I am dealing with what the previous owner had in the bird. I have several repairs I need to make now that I have most of the covering off I have found signs of some rough landings. All easy fixes though.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:28 PM
HCRCflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Make sure the basswood spars are not broken. (on bad landings the gear can bend into them snapping them.
I run a ST2300 with a bison muffler in mine with a 16-10 prop, it flys it great. one note oon the 2300 plug one of the muffler exits so you have enough pressure in the tank or it won't run right.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:56 PM
waagbuck
My Feedback: (1)

Pick up the book Bipes, by Harry Higley. It goes through a lot of interesting features of biplanes generally, but focuses principally un the goldberg ultimate. Wing servo installation is shown as well.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:42 PM
rcmiket

Great plane since your stripping it anyway just make two hatches in the bottom wing mount the servos to the hatch and your done.I've got a O.S.90 in mine it flys great. The 108 has more than enough for the plane. Good luck.-Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49444.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	162158