Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Lt-40 wing hold down

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Lt-40 wing hold down

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 11:11 AM
BillBabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt-40 wing hold down

What is a method of wing hold down on the LT-40 other than rubber bands? What is a source of the #67 rubber bands called for?
Old 08-09-2004, 07:11 PM
egor

Default RE: Lt-40 wing hold down

Billbabe:

I've always use #64 rubber bands just streach them a little bit before you try to put them on they work fine. I usually us at least 14 just to make sure. The only source I've ever seen for #67 rubber bands is from Sig. You can make the wing a bolt on but you would need to remove the windshield put the wing in position and drill dowel holes in f-2 former and into the center of the leading edge. This would be a lot eaiser if you were building a kit because you need some balsa block glued in behind the leading edge of the wing to run the dowel rods into for support. You would then need to drill two holes through the trailing edge of the wing into f-7, Which would need to be reinforced on the bottom side. The holes in the wing would need to be large enough to allow a 1/4 x 20 nylon bolt to pass through, and f-7 would need blind nuts on the bottom for the bolts to thread into. My recomendation for f-7 would be 3/8" thick with a good tight fit and epoxy for strength.

Egor
Old 08-09-2004, 07:36 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hahaha... trust me... keep the rubber bands!!

I made my 2nd LT-40 into a wing bolt-down. The problem was that the hole for the front hold-down dowel was too close to the top of Former F2 (like, I should have noticed that). 15 seconds into my maiden flight, the wing dowel pulled through. The fuse became a lawn dart.

The wing fluttered safely down by itself... and lived to fly in another LT-40.

If you DO make it for a wing hold-down, make sure there is plenty of meat to catch the leading edge dowel. And I agree with Egor about the #64 rubber bands. I use about 12 of them and have never had a problem.

Bob
Old 08-09-2004, 08:16 PM
BillBabe

Thanks guys :

You have convinced me to go with the #64 rubber bands of which I have plenty of.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Snowball1952
My Feedback: (22)

I have been flying my LT-40 with #64 from Office Max for almost 4 years. The rubber bands save you a heck of a lot of work if you should ever have a not so perfect flight. I did modify it once as a bolt down. After a crash I modified it back to a rubber band mount wing. That's my pennies worth.
Kevin
Old 08-12-2004, 03:33 AM
[email protected]

Ever stop to think that the reason the dowel pulled through was because you used the wrong rubber bands?

Dude...spring for the #67s...... Go to the LHS and order 3-4 boxes of Sig #67 rubber bands. Use 8 of them every time you fly.... save yourself one less thing to worry about.

Got over 150 flights on my LT-40, and have yet to turn it into a "lawn dart".

My 2 cents.

-Tom
Old 08-12-2004, 07:50 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Tom,
I was the lawn-dart with the pulled dowel... that was with the wing that I'd modified for wing bolts, not the rubber bands.

I admit, I didn't do a great job of engineering - it was my 2nd plane and I just should have known better.

Just didn't want you to blame anyone else for my boo-boo...

I didn't mean to infer that it couldn't be done, I just didn't want anyone to make the same dumb mistake that I made...

Bob
Old 08-12-2004, 08:04 PM
[email protected]

I was just spouting off..for fun. LT-40 is fun...and the more you care to improvise with it, the more fun it is... I think it flies awefully well "stock", although I admit to swapping out the flexible plastic pushrods for steel.....

I think i installed them poorly...

I think that with common sense, and an ounce of luck, the LT-40 should live as long as one needs it to...to learn how to fly.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:40 PM
airbatic

N1EDM

I love playing catch the lawn dart.

Kraus