Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Cowling. How do you do it?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Cowling. How do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 11:32 AM
LooneyTunes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowling. How do you do it?

I am just about finished with my DPM 40 Ultimate. One of the last things left to do is to shoehorn the cowling around the engine (YS FZ63). I cut the opening for the valve cover and cylinder head. Sofar so good. It takes a bit of bending and twisting, but I can get the cowl on. Next is the muffler. The only way I can figure to do that is to cut the hole and mount the muffler after the cowl is in place. But I am worried about not getting the muffler jam nuts tigh enough and the muffler falling off. What would you suggest? Thank you in advance.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:16 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would cut a bigger hole. I know it hurts, and I always have this battle with myself when cutting a cowl. But the bottom line is, the engine needs a good airflow, and you need to have at least SOME access to the engine. So you might as well make life easy for yourself.
Old 07-26-2002, 01:59 AM
nchrome

Default How do you do it

Cutting the cowel is inportant for optimen cooling of the engine but if you don't want to cut any more go get a fishing leader lure9 the metal cable one) fasend one end to the muffler and the other end to the engine mount. At least if you loose the muffler you'll be able to put it back on instead of using a metal detector to try to find your muffler. :spinnyeye
Old 07-26-2002, 09:37 AM
Ed Smith

Make the cowling in several pieces.

Ed S