Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA Northstar

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA Northstar

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 03:21 PM
dsanquisd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA Northstar

I recently purchased a built Northstar and need to know where the balance point is on this aircraft. If you know please respond. Thank you.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:45 AM
wombat69

Default RE: Balsa USA Northstar

The balance point is 715 mm or 28 1/4" form the tip of the nose, that info is off the plans.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:41 PM
dsanquisd
My Feedback: (9)

Thank you so much for the info on the balance point. You are a life saver.

Don Sanquist
Old 08-22-2004, 08:00 AM
wombat69

More info on C of G according to the instruction book it's 16" forward of the trailing edge, do not include the ailerons in this measurement.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:27 AM
ryanpilot
My Feedback: (4)

Very important to balance according to plans as this plane has been changed by Laddie from it's original conception and original release. I have built three of these, flown two of them and am in the process of a 4th that is going to have a D/F on it and a twin post tail.

Anyway, I would balance from the trailing edge of the wing as the last reply stated. It is critical that you get this right on and have some experiance flying performance aircraft. Also I found out, both personal experiance and others in the club that built these, be careful when setting your throws on the ailerons. In fact we had to dial ours down some from the plans as this thing wanted to roll so fast that imput either way really made an unstable ship. I set dual rates and after takeoff and at playing altitude would crank it up and the thing would roll so fast the paint almost twist off.

Good luck and get some flying time with someting a little less hot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75759.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	180924  
Old 11-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Mark C
My Feedback: (26)

I made my Northstar with elevons, how was yours set-up? Also did you cover or fiberglass your model. I am ready to apply covering has anyone had troble with this method
Old 11-18-2004, 11:15 PM
ayarpee
My Feedback: (15)

I built mine stock and covered it with ultracote. Have about 20 flights on it with couple fast landings, and no problems. Love the plane---not hard to fly. Just make good overlaps of the covering so no water gets in. I also tape the hatch edges before each day's flying. Have fun!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:39 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

I built mine per the plans. No probs in building. film covered..

It's only fklown twice, as teh original LA 46 just wasen't enough for it (didn't expect so anyways..)
It's fallen over twice. Breaking the tail & engine pod. So, it's in the 'repair pile'. (I've found teh best way to work onteh engine, is to prop it [vertically] against a wall, with teh 'sponsons' resting on boxes [to clear teh tail]. Works for storage too! except when your cat rubs against it, and knocks it over!!

The only realy problem with this plane, is storing it, and getting it into a car!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67274.jpg
Views:	938
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	194404  
Old 11-19-2004, 04:46 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I built mine according to the plans. Mine took about 10ozs nose weight to balance. Good flyer, fast and responsive. Lands like a baby. I did extend the rudder for better water control.