Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Pinholes by the thousands - How do you fill them?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Pinholes by the thousands - How do you fill them?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 03:30 AM
poorbs
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinholes by the thousands - How do you fill them?

I'm in the finishing stages of a model which has a fiberglass bellypan and cowl. I've sanded all the shiney surface off and given it a coat of primer, only to find that it is peppered with small pinholes. I tried filling them with regular hobby filler (like spackle), working it into every hole, but I only got a portion of them. Does anyone out there have an idea for filling these holes?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2002, 04:12 AM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

If you have a Sikkens Paint store in your area they have what is called komby putty it is designed to fill the pin hole you are experiencing. If you can not find Komby at a sikkens store. I would take the un thinned primer that you used and brush some on and rub it in with a finger the thick mixture will work in to the holes after it is good and dry. Wet sand the area down and repeat as needed. Often pin holes are caused by contamination. Oil, Silacone etc. I hope you don't have the same problem show up in the top coat. This time of year with the heat and humidity you can also get solvent popping this is where the clear coat or paint skins over before all the solvent comes out and bam you get bubbles that pop. They also look like pin holes. A slow or extra slow reducer helps with this problem. I used to be a sikkens rep in Kansas city years ago. I used to deal with the kind of problems you are dealing with. I hope this helps. CB
Old 07-27-2002, 06:33 AM
Divesplat
My Feedback: (7)

BVM also makes a special pin hole filler that I have used successfully. Even dried up, just add some Alcohol and works great.

Ed
Old 07-27-2002, 10:00 AM
Ed Smith

I would not recommend rubbing in primer with your fingers, it can do horrible things to your skin.

This is the easiest and cheapest method of filling pinholes and also the 'Weave" on a glassed wing.

Get some drywall compound or lightweight spackle from a hardware store. Get a blob of it on your fingers and dip it into some water to make it sloppier. Rub it into the surface realy hard. Let it dry, sand it off. Of course you have to sand it dry. One coat of primer will seal it. Now you can wet sand.

Ed S
Old 07-27-2002, 12:20 PM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

I would ware latex or nitril gloves when handling any paint products.
Old 07-27-2002, 01:53 PM
poorbs

Thanks guys - good ideas - I'm back to the filling and sanding.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:56 PM
MarkNovack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paste Wood Filler

Nothing beats good old paste wood filler. Rub it on with a paper towel. Let it dry and sand off the excess. It works so well that BVM put it into small jars and sells it specifically for pin hole filling.

Mark
Old 07-30-2002, 10:18 AM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Bondo glazing and spot putty. It's made for this purpose. It adheres to resin well and sands easily.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:39 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

As Ed has stated above, BVM has a pin hole filler that is by far the best and easiest way to fill in pin holes. Another alternative method is to purchase some automotive one part glazing putty. Mix the glazing putty with acetone until it has the consistency of tooth paste. Then, paint in on the surface with a paint brush. After it has dried, wet sand it until you see the surface again. This method is more work than using the BVM pin hole filler but it is just as effective.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:24 PM
GiantScale

Im also in the middle of a pinhole nightmare. But after asking Evercoat (autobody products) about using it over a Epoxy surface. They said its a polyester filler & should NOT be used over epoxy. And looking at BVM filler. It also says for fiberglass (polyester not epoxy)

Some of my holes go completely though & this is a 80 mph boat hull.

Whats designed for EPOXY filling & sands easy?

Thanks

Mike