Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

PT-40 Wing Conifgurations?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

PT-40 Wing Conifgurations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 01:03 AM
RussianFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PT-40 Wing Conifgurations?

Hello,

My brother has just purchased a Great Planes PT-40 Kit. After reading the instructions that came with the kit, we cannot decide whether to build the Trainer or the Sport wing configuration. Which one is better to build? Although this is his first plane(I have already built two ), I think we should go with the Sport configuration to prevent him from getting bored of the trainer too fast once he gets his wings . We are enlisting the help of an instructor at the local club I am currently a member of. I am also wondering whether to attach the wing using bolts or rubber bands (both are provided for). The manual suggests that the fuselage doublers are glued to the fuse sides using CA. Is it better to use Epoxy instead? All the planes I built previously use epoxy and not CA. We are also planning to use a TT Pro 46 engine for this kit and are wondering whether this engine is going to have too much power for the trainer. I have used this engine with great success on a LT-40 but that trainer is bigger and heavier than the PT-40. Thanks in advance for the input.

RF
Old 07-29-2002, 12:26 PM
jharkin
My Feedback: (2)

RF-

I myself learned on this plane, so I thought I might comment...

I built the sport wing. This still has generous dihedral and will keep the plane quite stable. In fact, even with this configuration I can fly with rudder alone quite well. I think the trainer wing is not necessary if you are learning with an instructor. With the sport wing, once you've got some experience, you can dial up the aileron throw and do some decent rolls.

I used the rubber bands to attach the wing. If you have a bad landing they will do their job and let the wing pop off rather than break.

CA'ing the ruse side doublers is fine as long as you are generous with the glue. With that large contact area the wood will break before the glue does. Do use epoxy for the firewall, landing gear mounts, etc. however.

The .46 will really move this plane along, but I don't think it will be overpowering. I used a 46FX on mine and it flew great, the extra power will get you out of bad spots.If you want to keep the speed down just use a low pitch 11in prop (but you'll need to get larger tires for ground clearance).

Good luck,
-Jeremy
Old 07-29-2002, 12:38 PM
dneisler
My Feedback: (7)

I used this same plane, except I had a YS .45 on mine. Never had a power problem :-)

Donald
Old 07-29-2002, 01:05 PM
miken96-RCU

Default Opinion

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I started out on a Ultra Stick 40, but wanted to BUILD a kit instead of an ARF. I built the PT-40 with the FULL dihedral and wing bolts. I personally do not like rubber-bands. The extra Dihedral makes for some rather SLOW and death-like rolls and no stunts. Still, it is a nice break from my sportier Ultra Stick. I use the PT to practice spot landings and getting out of tough spots. i purposely put the palne into a bad situation, just to practice getting out. THe PT and LT's are GREAT trainers. I'm sure the Sport configuration on the wing will be better than the Normal configuration.

My 2 cents!