Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ultra Sport 1000

I just bought a new still in the box discontinued Great Planes Ultra Sport 1000 Kit from one of our club members.
    The kit looks like it will be a great winter project. My 1st large build.
    Anybody have any building tips?
    I can't decide to go with tail dragger or trike gear set-up. It looks cool either way. I fly off grass so tail dragger may be the way
    Engine size The manual recommends a Super Tiger 2500. Or an OS 120 four stroke. Anybody have any better choices? I dont think super tiger has the 2500 anymore. Servo size is also a question. I use Fataba radios. Any Ideas? Thanks for your help

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ultra Sport 1000

Wanna sell it?

I would go with a taildragger configuration with retracts.

For power, a YS 140FZ or Saito 180 (I don't like big 2-strokes)
    Mike B. AMA# 42400 www.gettingairborne.com
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #2 - Waco Brother #188 - Cub Brother #2

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The ST 2300 would be good. More power than an OS 1.2 FS.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have both the US 40 with retracts and US 60 with swept back Bolly gear mounted to the fuse - I suggest you go tail dragger style and skip the fussing with nose gear steering or a nose retract.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not to mention that a trike gear seriously limits your prop clearance.

A pal has one of these with an OS 1.08 two stroke. Plenty of power if you're a "normal" flyer, but a 3D enthusiast would be unhappy, I think...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree on the taildragger configuration. As to retracts, I fly off grass (several different fields), and have seen too many retract rip-outs. Not every retract flight is a disaster, but even the guys who know retracts have their problems more often than I would want to struggle with. So fixed CF aftermarket gear would be my choice.

I can support both the YS 1.40 suggestion and the ST 1.40 (G2300). If you're not experienced with big 4 strokes, probably the ST would be the way to get most enjoyment from your first big build (and also more economical). Either engine would give you more than adequate vertical.

I fly a Futaba TX, but I like the Hitec karbonite geared digital servos.

The US is not a 3D machine, so I would set it up for sport or pattern type flying (meaning moderate control throws on ailerons & elevator).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tail dragger it is. I like things in my life to be simple. Retracts are cool but I have yet to see anybody that did not have some sort of problem with them. The engine i'm still trying to decide. That super tiger 2300 sounds like the deal and the price is right considering a four stroke. I do like that four stroke purr. I would go with a saito 120 or 150 if I had buckets of duckets.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My instructor had a US, pretty sure it was a 1000. Pretty cool looking model, and really looked smooth in the air (no doubt due in part to its size). I seem to recall he hovered with it. I don't remember what engine he had on it, just some big 2-stroke with a tuned pipe. It's a shame the US models aren't made any more, I wouldn't mind having one myself.

-Matt Bailey
    Crashes are OPTIONAL. Fun is mandatory.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: snappinjim

Tail dragger it is. I like things in my life to be simple. Retracts are cool but I have yet to see anybody that did not have some sort of problem with them. The engine i'm still trying to decide. That super tiger 2300 sounds like the deal and the price is right considering a four stroke. I do like that four stroke purr. I would go with a saito 120 or 150 if I had buckets of duckets.

I have one NIB
    The only retracts that will hold up to the plane is the fancy Robarts...I talked to them...
    I have thought about puting a aluminum gear in front of the wing or on the wing center section.
    If ya went the 4 stroke way..opt out for the Saito 180...don't like ST's, do like MOKI's though
    I never met a Chaos I didn\'t like

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Still trying to decide on an engine. does anybody think a saito 120 four stroke will be enough for the Ultra super sport 1000 or should I go with a saito 150 Thanks for your help

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had one several years ago. It was set-up in tail dragger more with mechanical retracts and they kept breaking the plastic parts so I finally went to an aluminum gear just in front of the wing. Worked out great.

For power I used a Moki 1.8, side mounted. Worked out fine.

It was a great plane, but I got shot down by an idiot with a cheap radio that was killing 3 channels. This is what made me go to ham frequencies.
    Ed Moorman, AMA 553, Former R/C Report Fun Aerobatics Columnist. 76 and up to my old tricks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You'll notice the Saito suggestions above have been for the 1.80. Actually it would fly "OK" with the 1.20, but with limitations on most maneuvers with a vertical component. Even doing a reverse Cuban, with the half roll on the 45˚ upline, would slow it down such that the top part of the figure would look anemic. So in that sense the 1.20 might be "enough" but not what you'd call well-powered. The 1.50 would be better, but still not "too much".

The whole drift of pattern flying has been that you need "too much" power to have enough. Guys flying the two meter jobs like to do their straight & level flying at 1/2 throttle, and have lots of power when they need it to go vertical. Not just vertical, but vertical with significant power strain. Something like the vertical diamond eight from the corner would have the 1.50 huffing and puffing just to get around the first corner from first leg to second, leaving little momentum to get around to the third leg.

The standard two meter pattern 4-stroke setup these days is the YS140DZ, which is significantly stronger than the Saito 1.50. The 1.80 would give you a well-powered model--about on a par with the 1.40 Supertigre 2-stroke. So from that point of view you'd be paying a lot of extra cash for the sound and romance of the big Saito. I love the Saito sound, sorta like a Harley, but I like the sound of the Supertigre too.

Now, a guy flying his first two meter doesn't need to be doing vertical diamond eights to enjoy his airplane. You could fly the Sportsman schedule with the US1000 and the 1.20 four-stroke. But if you flew the same schedule with the 1.50, you'd like it a lot better. To fly the Intermediate schedule, you'd definitely find the 1.20 lacking, the 1.50 "adequate".

On a number of occasions I've tried to make too big a step up in power and complexity. These efforts never succeed as well as moving up by small steps. For that reason, I'd go with the 2-stroke at this stage. You can do a lot of great flying with the US1000 and two-stroke 1.40, without breaking the bank, without much complexity in the set-up. Save the big Saito for another day.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How about an MVVS 1.60 with a tuned muffler. That would give you tons of power. The MVVS with the tuned muffler actually is tuned for bigger props. So you could use a decent size prop. That is just my 2 pennies worth. I would also reccomend the Hitec's.

Mark Shuman

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Between the saito 120 and 150, I'd go with the 150
    Mike B. AMA# 42400 www.gettingairborne.com
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #2 - Waco Brother #188 - Cub Brother #2

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks lots majortom and everybody for your thoughts a recommendations. Your right majortom I really need to think about my wallet and a 140 2 stroke is where I need to be.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You'll find a lot of discussion here on the ST 1.40--from those who had problems and those who didn't. The good news is most of the problems were solved with a Perry pump and sometimes a Perry carb as well. So far I've had no issues with my stock Supertigres, mostly side-mounted with fuel tank right behind the firewall and short plumbing (medium size tubing), Bisson Pitts muffler with one outlet choked down. You should have a lot of great flying with that combination.

You may have noticed the US1000 manual has a fairly detailed section on trimming and fine-tuning the model. Lots of good guidance there. I would emphasize that you should fly and adjust CG until you're completely happy with that parameter, then work into the other stuff and leave CG alone.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew mine this summer with a YS 1.20 and it had plenty of power for the sportsman sequence. Unfortunately. a tree reached up and grabbed it on final....the fuse does not have a scratch but the wing is trash. Any chance of your making a copy of the wing plans? By the way I have a SuperTigre 3000 NIB if you are interested.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any opinions on using the OS 1.60 FX?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd go for the YS140 Sport.

Any body know where to get an Ultra Sport 60 kit?
    Mark
    Sponsored by no one!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 1.60FX is very popular for 2M pattern planes. Bob Pastorello has a lot of info & pics on setting up the 1.60 on his website http://www.rcaerobats.net/.

I don't know where the US60's are, but I have a US1000 untouched kit that I would be willing to part with.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mark,

I have seen several of the 60's on ebay. They ususally go for 150.00. I have a YS 140 L, but could not get it to run very well. I actually sent it back to YS performance and they changed the diaphram. Have not had a chance to put it back on my Sukhoi and try it out.

I have a US60 with a 91FS. Really neat plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have built and flown several of the 1000's - here is a picture of one I have now. I always used a ST 3000 (cheap, quick and easy) but I would think a Saito 150 or OS 1.60 would be good. Good flying pattern type plane -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd93242.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	182970  
    Ron - AMA 1025 - Largo, FL

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not

completely sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll be using an Enya 1.55 in mine.

Wing was built last winter. maybe build a fuse this.
    http://www.rcsites.net/sport_flyer/
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gravity -- Its the Law!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi All,...

This talk about the Ultra Sport 1000 has got me entertaining thoughts of building one of my own this winter!! I orderd the plans from R/C Moderler magazine (plan #1114). Also ordered a canopy from a local hobby shop.

When I called RCM to order the plans I was fortunate enough to talk to the designer himself, Jim Feldmann. He said the original US1000 had a 74 inch wing span. When Great Planes kitted it they stretched the wing to 80 inches just to make it IMAA legal.

I've got a Saito 1.50 brand new that I could use or I just purchased an OS 160FX as well. Now my big decision is whether or not to use retracts? For those of you who are already flying the US1000, are you using fixed gear or retracts?? If your US1000 have retracts, what brand (size) are you using??

Thanks a bunch!!

For those of you looking for Ultra Sport 60's,... R/C Modeler magazine also published that design. They have plans available for the 60 size Ultra Sport as well (plan #1048). Canopies are still available from Great Planes too!!

Signed,
    Steve T.
    Monson, Massachusetts

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I plan to use retracts on mine. If you go to Robart's web site, there is a gear finder box. They recommend a set designed for 12 to 24 lb planes. I believe it is there #631. These are air and not mechanical. Really nice looking set and sturdy enough for the plane.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast