Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Pilot Lazer Cut Hydeaway 15 building

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Pilot Lazer Cut Hydeaway 15 building

Old 09-07-2004, 09:05 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot Lazer Cut Hydeaway 15 building

Came home from Singapore with way too many kits. Took a few weeks to decide which one to start with. The decision's been made, as the title says, I'm starting with the little Hydeaway. My next build will probably build the Suprafly 25 kit that's been on the shelf for 15 years.

Some of you may have seen some of my posts in the last few months. For those who haven't, I've been away from the hobby for about 15 years. I'm back flying and now it's time to start building again. Right now my main plane is a Model Tech Extra 300S ARF with an OS 25F ABC. So far, I love this plane. People I fly with keep commenting on how well it flies. Now I just need to remember how to do some of the things it's capable of. Anyway, I chose the Hydeaway cause I thought the Extra needed a baby sister for company.

I briefly considered trying to use a 25 in the Hydeaway, but after close study of the plan, and doing a dry run assembling the wing (no glue yet), I realized that was not going to work. I think a 25 would be too much weight and too much stress on the plane. I'm going to use a Thunder Tiger GP-15 for power. The plans and instructions also show a tuned pipe. I'm still considering this, but am not sure it's worth the expense of the header and pipe and the hassle of installing them and adjusting the pipe. Anyone out there ever added a pipe to a standard 15 like the GP-15? Was it worth the trouble?

The kit can be built with retracts. For a while I thought about going with them, but decided to keep it simple and light and stick with fixed gear.

My first impression is I love lazer cut kits. Big improvement over die cutting. This will actually be my third Pilot kit. I built the QB 20S and QB20L many, many, many years ago. From what I've seen so far, the quality that I found in the past is still there. My second impression is building little planes requires a gentle touch. The wing on this thing is tiny and some of the parts are small and thin. This is not a kit for the heavy-handed builder.

I'm taking pics as I go. When I get a little further along I'll upload some if people are interested.