Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Super Sportster 60 Landing Gear Mod

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Super Sportster 60 Landing Gear Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:36 PM
grantbd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Super Sportster 60 Landing Gear Mod

I'm just finishing up my GP SS 60 and after reading so many threads about changing the landing gear configuration, I'm wondering if it's too late for me now. I had built it to plans, having the landing gear on wires out on the wings, but have heard this can make it nose over very easily, and especially since I will be flying from a grass field. If I am to use a fixed landing gear mounted to the fuselage just before the wing, what are the proper modifications I need to make so that it mounts correctly and is stable. The only thing there right now is the balsa chin block, and this doesn't seem sturdy enough to support a landing gear. I haven't covered the model yet. Any suggestions?
Old 09-08-2004, 08:19 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: GP Super Sportster 60 Landing Gear Mod

On mine, I used 1/4 inch hard ply for the mount. Make your ply mount and cut out the corresponding area of your chin block. Epoxy it in. Use some 1/2 inch triangle on the inside. That should do it for you.

You'll be glad you made the modification. It's nice to be able to taxi back to the pit area !!!
Old 09-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one a while back and just bent the landing gear forward until the axel was even with the leading edge of the wing. I flew off grass and never had a problem, absolutly no nose overs. I also had a SS120, did the same mod to the gear with great results.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:53 PM
leftnut
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the wire gear block cracked on mine

i just whack a portion of the chin.
i added ply to the inside of the fuselage sides that's a little bit wider than the gear.
i also drilled dowls into them to prevent anytype of rip away.
used hard wood, not tri for the sides..a tri piece at the LE former

added layers to the bottom of the block to retain proper hight for prop clearance.

used bind nuts and metal mounting screws .
it's nice and sturdy..
nylon screws breaks to prevent rip away of fuselage, but the wheel pants gets
sholve into the wing.....i trust and beliving in my work.