Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

C.A. getting weaker when kicked

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

C.A. getting weaker when kicked

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 01:19 PM
BocaBen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C.A. getting weaker when kicked

Frank Tiano (Mr. ZAP) was at our club meeting last Friday, giving a lecture on glue in general.
One of the thing he said is that when using kicker, the C.A. looses some of its strength. The figures he gave was about 12% for a single spray and 40% for 3 sprays.

I've been in this hobby for 25 years, very happy about any ZAP product but I had no idea about this, and I guess that I'm not the only one. It is not mentioned on the kicker bottle nor on the ZAP website that using kicker reduces the strenght of the glue.

Now, no need to make a storm in a cup of tea, we've all used kicker and even with some strenght reduction, the bond is still strong enough. Just avoid to 'over-kick' !!

BocaBen
Old 08-05-2002, 01:32 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I never "over-kick". In fact, I never use a sprayer. I have found that kicker has a residual effect, that is, if you use the kicker to set the glue between the ribs and the spar, a day or two later that same kicker can start setting your sheeting glue before you are finished putting glue everywhere.

Now I use kicker VERY sparingly, and I usually apply it by dipping a wire into the kicker and then touching the wire to the glue spot. That way I get kicker exactly where I want it, and NOWHERE ELSE!
Old 08-06-2002, 11:58 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I too was surprised at Frank's comments concerning kicker and strength! Glad I don't use it too much (kicker that is).

Jerry