Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

My first ride

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

My first ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 09:23 AM
superhoggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first ride

It finally finished my trainer after about 9 months of "winter work" and 3 roll of monokote here is my PT40.
So far I have about 13 flights on it. Flight 13 I stuck it in the tall grass on landing but only broke the prop and
bent the front gear back a little, very VERY fortunate. Now for the crazy part. I acquired a Bud Nosen Citabria
Champion the other day. To me it looks like a very challenging box of fun. Has any body out there tackled one
of these before? I know there are going to be pitfalls, just don't know where yet. The kit is in incredible condition
and is very complete. All ready have the Kinko copies of the plans and I'm starting to want winter to hit again!

SuperHoggie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10672.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	176483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16983.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	176484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl18954.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	176485  
Old 09-24-2004, 09:52 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: My first ride

That's a big jump, but if you're a good builder (as in a "Natural" who likes to build as opposed to someone who just builds to get it finished and fly it) you'll find the BN kit fun and challanging.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:29 AM
superhoggie

I'm semi aware of the challenge with a Nosen kit. My teacher/trainer buddy is an experience flyer that hates to build and has already asked if I would build a plane for him. I'm not quite comfortable with that yet, but love to build and think through a set of plans. I'm thinking I'll learn a lot with this kit.

SuperHoggie
Old 09-24-2004, 02:29 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built one of these Citabrias back in the late 80s.
From what I recall, the kit wan't the best quality so I replaced a lot of the timber that came with it.

The plans show it as being designed for a .61 engine but that is indicative of the age of the design rather than todays reality. Back when it was designed, .61 were mongst the biggest glow engines you could buy. I reinforced mine a lot and built it around a G38 gas engine.

The plane came out quite nice and this was a good combination. I don't remember the weight but it's a big plane and can handle a bit of weight if you build some strength into it.
I covered mine with solartex (red and white) and then sprayed it with clear dope.

Best of luck with your build
Old 09-24-2004, 03:23 PM
SilverEagleBW

SuperHoggie,I have built a couple dozen of the Nosen 1/4 scale Citabrias.Build it light and use a .90 2 stroke or a .120 four stroke,also a g-23 is a good engine.Make sure that you use aircraft ply on the 'FC' formers.The last kit i got from A&A had light ply and the wood altogether SUCKED!Replace what is needed.Really the plane isn't that difficult to build at all,the hardest part is the fuse sides,after that it is all fun!lot easier than building a Cub.With some practice,hehe,you can build that fuse in one night,it is that easy to do.I just built one and clipped the wing down to 86 inches,made it a one piece wing and used 1/8 ply for dihedral braces,very stong wing.If you need any help just gimmie a yell,i'm right here,,,,Slade
Old 09-24-2004, 10:10 PM
superhoggie

Slade,
Oh man, you got it.
SuperHoggie
Old 09-24-2004, 10:31 PM
SilverEagleBW

Oh yeah,SuperHoagie,EXCELLENT JOB!! building the PT 40!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2004, 10:42 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great job on the PT, you might wanna turn your nosegear around. the coil goes to the rear.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Bipeguy
My Feedback: (2)

Superhoggie, I did a thread on the "Champ" a while back with lots of pics. Do a search for 'Nosen Champ' and it should come up. A couple of good suggestions are in previous posts here (ply and replace some wood). My avitar is the finished Champ. Watch the CG and do a 'taxi test' to see if the tail comes up before you take-off. Mine flys well with a Homlite 25cc conversion.

Nice covering scheme on the PT !!

bipeguy...
Old 09-28-2004, 05:11 PM
rcmiket

Nice job on your first endevor,as far as the Nosen I agree with the others the wood is "Floor Sweepings". The plans are fine and Nosen's fly well but must be light. If you like to problem solve thsi wood be a good project. Good luck. Mike
Old 09-28-2004, 08:44 PM
superhoggie

Everyone,
I appreciate the link info on my Nosen.
Yes, the ply is like that of glued grahamcrackers.
Thanks for the compliments on the PT, I have about 80ish hrs in her.
As far as the nose gear goes the reason for turning it around is because after a couple of miracle hard landings/soft crashes, the spring was starting to crush into the fuse.
Im afraid if I lower the thing to far it may never stick to the ground on landing!
Any thoughts

SuperHoggie