Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

3D Deflection on the SIG SE

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

3D Deflection on the SIG SE

Old 08-07-2002, 03:48 PM
rsallen13
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Deflection on the SIG SE

I'm about to try this and was wonder what some of you might think of it.

I'm thinking of adding 1/4" triangle stock to the leading edge of the ailerons, rudder and elevator. Then adding 3/8 triangle stock to the trailing edge of the wings, vertical and horizontal stab. Knock down the pointed edge a hair in order to make it easier to get the hinge in and with that I should be able to get up to 90 degrees of throw if I want it.

Also, I will be increasing the angle of the elevator next to the rudder by cutting away part of the inboard piece of the elevator. This will allow for the increased rudder throw.

Once I get comfortable with the plane I can then increase the throws as needed to perform 3D maneuvers.

Has anyone done this?
Old 08-07-2002, 04:45 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Why do all that when all the SE needs is a 200% larger rudder to fly 3D and hover? If you want to do flips and such, go get a Wasp or other 'fun fly' plane that will outfly the SE in that category. All the SE needs is a way larger rudder and lots of power up front (which means a longer gear). There are bunches of threads discussing the SE mods, etc. You might try a search on 'SE'

quint
Old 08-07-2002, 04:49 PM
Soar Head
My Feedback: (5)

You're giong to have a lot of fun getting +/- 90 degrees of throw with a single pushrod. Anything much over +/- 45 and the geometry gets pretty tough. Look into pull-pull, if you're serious.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:51 PM
TerrellFlyer

If you're really determined to screw it up , why not set it in the driveway and just drive over it a few times
Old 08-07-2002, 06:08 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

This is my completely stock Sig SE. Not a single change was made to the kit. IMO it doesnt need anything else.
I just have the most throws I can get out of it with the stock surfaces.
It'll hover and harrier all day long. Webra .50 motor. 12x4 prop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20421_60.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	12948  
Old 08-07-2002, 06:45 PM
bgi
My Feedback: (7)

If you wanna do knife-edge loops, give it some more rudder and be happy. There's plenty elevator and aileron in the stock config.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:07 PM
rsallen13

Originally posted by TerrellFlyer
If you're really determined to screw it up , why not set it in the driveway and just drive over it a few times
Very Mature!

Originally posted by quint
Why do all that when all the SE needs is a 200% larger rudder to fly 3D and hover?..........There are bunches of threads discussing the SE mods, etc. You might try a search on 'SE'
I have searched and reviewed (on several forums) all of the threads that I could find on this plane before purchasing it. The common question I found was how to get more throw. Thus the idea. I have also utilized some of the mods that I have read about

I am always open to new ideas and have yet to complete the ailerons elevators or rudder. I have completed the wings and I am working on the fuse. I will be making the fuse and tail a little lighter (several places for weight reduction- formers control surface and stab construction especially) and I may do a couple of other mods to enable me to use pull-pull which I prefer.

]Originally posted by wgeffon This is my completely stock Sig SE. Not a single change was made to the kit. IMO it doesn't need anything else.
I just have the most throws I can get out of it with the stock surfaces.
It'll hover and harrier all day long. Webra .50 motor. 12x4 prop.

Great to hear! I might just drop the increased throw and move forward.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:11 PM
tmproff

Adding the triangle stock is going to definatly help, be sure to cover your hinge gap, and I think you'll be really happy....I dont think you are going to have to worry about the aileron effectiveness. Yes, adding rudder is helpful.......I did the counterbalance, and it still wasn't as effective as I would have liked:

BTW, I did pull-pull on both rudder and elevator

Name:	20437_7030.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	12949  
Old 08-07-2002, 07:26 PM
rsallen13

Originally posted by tmproff
BTW, I did pull-pull on both rudder and elevator

You wouldn't happen to have a photo or drawing of how you installed it in the fuse. In the stock tray the servo's are to close together and the plane is not really big enough to warrant a tiller setup.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:28 PM
tmproff

I dont have pics of it, but I just carved out the servo tray a bit....it was a tight fit, but worked fine. Here is another pic of the tail:

Name:	20441_7030.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	12950  
Old 08-09-2002, 01:31 PM
tiggerflyer

Rsallen13,
After talking with my flying buddy about his SE I added 1/2" to the ailerons, cut out the elevator for more rudder throw and added a 2" counter balance to the top of the rudder and 1" in length to the rudder. I let my friend fly it and now he's building another but with only my rudder mods. He said it didn't need any more aileron, but he loved the rudder.

I also need to mention that all the mods I did were behind the CG and required me to add 4oz on the nose to balance the plane. I'm flying mine with a ST51 and an APC 11x7, it flies great.

TiggerFlyer