Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Midwest Super Stearman Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Midwest Super Stearman Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 07:29 PM
wesf5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Super Stearman Questions

I have just bought a Midwest Super Stearman kit and I am wanting to make it a gasoline plane, but don't know what engine to use. What do you guys think will be a good gasser on it? It will take a 91 4-stroke. I would also like to put a smoke system on it. What would be the best one on it? If there are any other tips for building it or flying it, let me know.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:25 AM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Midwest Super Stearman Questions

The smallest I know of is the G23 or 26. That would probably be too much weight for it.

How about this one ?
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...s/FPE/FPE.html
Old 10-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am currently flying this plane with an old Super Tiger 1.50 and it is a little tail heavy still. You will need at least a 40 oz motor or better to not have to add a lot of weight. The G-26 would be about right. Make sure you use a little extra glue around the landing gear blocks. The plane flys very well and lands very slow.

Steve
Old 10-04-2004, 04:07 PM
wesf5

Thanks for the info. What about the smoke system? With one would be best?
Old 10-04-2004, 10:38 PM
tonystro
My Feedback: (1)

I purchased a used Midwest Super Stearman, with Saito 1.50 on it, this summer. If flies beautiful, scale-like aerobatics. The 1.50 is more power than needed, but not heavy enough to offset the tail weight. I have 10 oz of lead bolted to the motor mount, and a 1200 milliamp receiver battery against the firewall, under the fuel tank.

I am not informed about gasoline engines, but as steve mentioned you'll need the weight anyway. During your building keep the tail end as light as you can without sacrificing strength or structural integrity.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:33 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chatted with a fellow some time ago that used (I think) an RCS 1.40 gas with the C&H ignition. He seemed very happy with it, as it provided the weight needed, and power was appropriate for the airframe. I think a Zenoah 23/26 would be too large. I tried to find the thread with the details of the RCS 1.40 on this plane, but couldn't find it. As far as smoke on this plane, I think you would be asking for trouble. The plane finishes very tail heavy, and anything you add that isn't mounted on the firewall will be adding to the wing loading. I suggest trying to keep tail as light as possible, mount battery and throttle servo in front of firewall if you can, and finish in light weight covering to avoid heavy wing loading. Mount as much as you can as far forward as you can. I have this kit (still in box) with a YS .91 to power it. Another good engine choice for glow would be an old OS twin 1.20.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:22 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one in the bones. I tried a G23 on the front to check the balance and found it to be about right. So, the G23 is now going to find it's way on the firewall. I think this will be a good combo. The G26 would even be better.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:21 PM
wesf5

What G23 did you use, bdtsr?
Old 10-07-2004, 09:00 AM
bdtsr

It's an older G23 (7 or 8 years old) with a banjo style inverted muffler. Plane's not done though (wish it was!). Gotta get it done this winter.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:17 PM
wesf5

Ok. any other suggestions?
Old 10-07-2004, 04:57 PM
bdtsr

I plan on using carbon fiber arrow shafts for the pushrod guide tubes. Not to sure what else as of yet.