Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig's New 1/5 Scale J-3

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig's New 1/5 Scale J-3

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 10:58 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sig's New 1/5 Scale J-3

Anyone building/flying or thinking of getting this kit?

Jerry
Old 08-11-2002, 12:23 AM
EDsnead
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig 1/5th Scale kit

I have acquire the kit and have spent a great deal of time just drooling over the instruction manual,the quality of wood,the plans,and the Laser cutting.--FANTASTIC!!
There are areas I think require some beefing up--the wing /fuselage juncture
It reminds of a PICA Aeronca Sedan that had a weak spot that didn't lose any time showing up on its maiden flight.
The wing rib configuration on the fuselage could use some strengthening.That is my intent. My engineering background has added weight to a lot of my planes but I never had any problems.
I will order a set of articulating landing gear from Wm. Wallace in Idaho and start building.
I look forward to many pleasant winter evenings.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:14 PM
tailskid

Default engine size?

What engine are you going to use? I will be using a OS .52 and have angled the engine so it is totally inside the cowl. The muffler will exit out the bottom of the use - making a 'channel' for it right now.

Jerry
Old 08-12-2002, 01:34 PM
EDsnead
My Feedback: (10)

Default Sig 1/5th J 3 Cub

I have a Saito 90 twin cylinder that might be a little on the high side for power but that's what the throttle is for.
The Saito 60 is a fraction of an inch smaller so appearance wise it should look great.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:51 PM
fox35
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Sig 1/5th Scale kit

I'm interested in the Pica Aeronca. Can you tell me what the weak spot is?
Old 02-02-2004, 03:13 PM
bluebikerblan

Default RE: Sig's New 1/5 Scale J-3

I too have just purchased the 1/5 Scale Sig J-3 and am still in the kit admiration planning phase while wrapping up two other winter projects. Would also like anyones building/flying suggestions before I get going. Opinions on best 4-stroke engine match please? So far replacing the balsa fuse stringers with spruce makes sense and will also look at the Wallace articulating landing gear suggestion. Thanks, will be looking for more. Blue
Old 02-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

Just curious, has anyone looked into making it into a Super Cub? Adding flaps, new rudder outline, counter balanced elevators, Super Cub Cowl etc.? THAT would be cool!

Yak
Old 02-02-2004, 09:00 PM
tailskid

bluebikerblan
Blue
RCM had a review of the kit in the June 2003 issue if I remember correctly.

Jerry
Old 02-02-2004, 09:03 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yak18
Just curious have you looked at Adrian Page's 80" W.S. Super Cub. I've been thinking of getting it. It looks like a real quality kit. It should be much less work than coverting the Sig kit.
John

www.adrianpage.com
Old 02-02-2004, 10:06 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering about the Adrian Page W.S. Super Cub too, but tracked it down on his website and came away thinking that it wasn't scale enough. Just my opinion.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Yak18

I agree with GarySS on the AP Super Cub. I wish it were closer to scale because I love Adrian's work. I noticed that it has only about half of the scale number of wing ribs and, well, that's when I stopped looking at it so I didn't notice any other deviations. Adrian, if you read this, please scale out your Super Cub and design us a Scale Aeronca Champ.

Yak
Old 02-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Adrian Page

I'm revamping the kit as we speak. What do you want on it?

Adrian
Old 02-03-2004, 06:31 PM
fox35
My Feedback: (9)

I second the emotion about the Aeronca, but I'd like to see a Sedan. It has tremendously more style than any Cub.

If ypu produce one, I'll be one of the first in line.

By the way, I really like your little Gee Bee kit. The 40" span one. Probably gonna build it this summer.

Fox35
Old 02-03-2004, 09:12 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Adrian,
Wow, what do we want in a Super Cub Kit!! I would like a kit with the scale lines and features of the Balsa USA 1/3 scale Super Cub, but in a more manageable and economical size; up to say……. ¼ scale. Or a smaller model, maybe 1/5 scale would be nice too. It should have a wing attachment arrangement that gets away from the 2x6 formers and wing dowels that so many other kits have. That probably mandates plug-in wings into smaller tubes to eliminate those bulky formers. It needs to have a true Pitts cowl with some air scoops, accurate line windscreen, skylight, jury struts, tail braces, stabilizer trim mechanism (in front of the tail), Super Cub lighting (doesn’t have to work), antennas, accurate instrument panel (not a cartoon like Great Planes likes to include), and a nice tail wheel bracket. I wouldn’t expect an intricate main gear as Mr. Robart can extract our $blood for that one!

An opening side door/window would be good. True-to-scale window brackets would be nice. Interior wing braces are essential. I would expect the kit to be more expensive than the average cub kit, but it would be worth it to me to have accurate scale features that I wouldn’t have to do myself.

The Sig 1/5 scale J3 kit comes close to meeting the above criteria, but the rear quarter window is shaped like a perfect D, not the drooped D…….very unscale! Dave Patrick’s new super cub has a lot of these features but it is an ARF and doesn’t come across in the pictures as being that scale-like in the cowl/windscreen area.

This model below has a lot of the features that appear to be scale. I don’t remember where I collected this picture, but it’s lines are good (the cowl is quite good and mates to the fuselage very well, the wing attachment does not overpower the model’s appearance and there are a lot of small details that show well.
It just needs a better spinner rather than a prop nut! I do see that it has the military observation rear windows.

Compare the Model with the Real Thing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77913.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	97164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85441.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	97165  
Old 02-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Adrian Page

Yikes! That's a lot of work. I kind of liked the one I've got because it is so simple. It can go from box to test flight in about 24 hours of building time. I've heard of people spending that much time on arfs. I was just going to make it a bit lighter and add a few more ribs to the wing.
But if that's what the people want... anyone got a good, accurate 3 view?

Adrian
Old 02-05-2004, 05:57 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Adrian,
I like the one you've got. If you want to put a few more ribs in it fine. If you do all the work that Gary wants it'll be priced right out of my range! Maybe offer two levels of scale?
John

Edit; I guess what is needed is for you to decide what type of kits you are offering to the public. Sport scale like GP or Decent scale as in Top Flight or Master scale as in Procter.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:05 AM
Red B.

Is the construction manual available for download?
It would be nice to have a peek before purchase.

/Red B.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Yak18

Thanks for opening yourself up to input Adrian. That's what sets you apart from the others and ensures you have the best airplanes out there. I appreiciate the amount of work that goes into designing a model and thank goodness there are people like you doing it!

On the Super Cub, I would be happy with, as a very minimum, an exact scale outline with the same number of ribs/subribs as the full size. After that, plug in wings are mandatory (that is the best feature of the BUSA and Sig 1/5th scale cubs) because that allows you to maintain the center stringer which goes from the vertical stab to the middle of the wing. Very pretty. A molded Super Cub windshield is a nice feature, as is an accurate Cowl with panel lines and fasteners. Either 1/5th or 1/4 scale would be fine...personally I like the size of the 1/5th scale. I had a 1/4 scale cub and it was just a little too big. I would make sure that your fuse (1/5 or 1/4) will fit the ROBART gear that is a very popular accessary on Cubs. Don't worry about pricing as long as it's fair. People will pay for good value. I would keep the current "simple series" Super Cub in your line-up because there are those that could give a hoot if their airplane was scale (but I think you'll sell far more scale Super Cubs). Almost everything else (flying wire attachment, instrument panel, seats etc.) is frosting on the cake and would be great to have, but could be added by the modeler as well.

I think you are going down the right road with these golden age airplanes Adrian. They are beloved by many people...as long as I have your attention here's my Adrian Page wish list:

1/5th Scale Super Cub
1/5th Scale Aeronca Champion 7AC w/the beautiful molded "bubble" windshield.
1/5th Scale Cessna 140
1/5th Scale 1930 Fleet Model II Biplane w/laser cut dummy radial engine cylinders
1/5th Scale Curtiss Robin

Thanks again for listening. I look forward to your next release!

Yak
Old 02-05-2004, 09:06 AM
Adrian Page

Well,

I'm glad you like it. The Super Cub is definitely a sport scale. I used someone elses 3 view but it looked pretty close to me. I am working on the kit to make it better. The fuse will be lighter and the wing will be lighter, closer to scale and easier to assemble. The leading and trailing edges are getting tabs and slots for automatic alignment. I think I can get the landing light into the wing without to much trouble. I built the prototype of this new wing with out a plan under it. The plan is only needed for reference. The fuselage is built without needing a plan too. A full size plan is included though. I think a glass cowl should be added but that will add to the cost. The other changes shouldn't cost much if anything to do.
The uncovered fuselage weighs 16 oz. and the uncovered wing comes in at 6 oz. per panel. Stab and rudder 2 oz. Landing gear and wheels are 6.4 oz. Hardware etc. comes to 1.6 oz. The struts are 2 0z. cowl 1.5 oz. Windows 2.5 oz.
Total for an uncovered plane 43 oz. Just over 2 1/2 pounds.... not bad for an 80 incher. Of course it's made of balsa and ply so some will come out a bit heavier and some a bit lighter. It takes 2 whole rolls of covering if you're very careful about laying out your cuts.

Adrian
Old 02-09-2004, 09:21 AM
bluebikerblan

Tailskid, Thanks for the RCM review tip. I was unaware of any reviews on the kit. Will get the issue if possible. Just getting going on the build. Beautiful kit! More detail than I've tackled before. With 2 projects finished this winter for spring I plan on taking my time with a serious effort at building better. Planning on Supercoverite and side mounted Saito .65, Standard wing. My first Cub . Obvious, I guess. A buddy says that I'll wish I'd gone Clipped and Super Cub nose. Thoughts? Blue
Old 02-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Guys,
I have the Sig 1/4 scale version, if this 1/5 scale kit is any where near as good then you have a great plane. My only beef is in the wing joining area. It really does need to be beefed up. I have had quite a few problems in this area.

Add in some scale functioning undercarriage from Swensome specialities and you have a great plane. By the way I have an OS FS160 twin for power

cheers
Peter
Old 02-09-2004, 10:52 PM
tailskid

bluebikerblan, It was the July 2003 Issue.....call 'em and get a copy - in fact it had the cub on the cover!!!!

Jerry
Old 03-07-2004, 03:29 PM
bluebikerblan

Hi Everyone interested or involved with building Sigs' 1/5 Scale Piper J-3 Cub. There's a great new review of the kit by Mark Lanterman in the April 04 issue of Model Aviation if you haven't yet seen it. I'm now into the build myself and have decided to listen to most of the tips gained in these forum. Saito twin 90, Rogart Struts,Coverite etc. are all on the list. Thanks