Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Senior mods, upgrades

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Senior mods, upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 12:55 AM
secondchildhood
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sig Senior mods, upgrades

I just purchased a Sig Senior kit for a fall/ winter project. I would appreciate any info from Senior builders regarding areas that should be strengthened or reinforced. I plan on using a .40 Magnum from my PT 40 trainer for the time being, but would like to eventually step up to a bigger 4 stroke at a later time on the Senior. Anything that you may have done, or after building it you wish you had done would be appreciated.

Are there any Sig Senior groups, or web pages devoted primarily to the Senior?

Thank you,

Dwight Hayden
Old 08-09-2002, 01:22 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Notice on the plans that you will be adding diagonal bracing to the fuselage on the sides of the longerons. I add diagonal bracing to the top and bottom of the longerons also. This help to stiffen the tail up tremendously.

Add ailerons. Some build the entire wing and then cut the ribs out and add trailing edge stock to the wing, then they add leading edge stock too the ailerons. I prefer to cut the appropriate ribs beforehand and glue in the trailing edge stock on the wing as I build. Then you just buy aileron stock at the hobby shop and your done with them. When you make the ailerons, instead of sanding the leading edges to a 45 degree angle; simply glue a piece of triangle stock to them. No sanding needed.

If you plan to really fly the snot out of this plane with a larger 4-stroke; then think about putting some flying wires on the tail. Kevlar is a nice light way to build the flying wires.

Make the plane a tail-dragger. The Kadet is a totally different plane on the runway when it is set up as a taildragger. You can use a Klett tailwheel. I use a Hitec HS-81 mini servo for the tailwheel. I run it out to the tailwheel with a seperate control rod and slave the servo into rudder. It works great and is totally adjustable with a computer radio.

If you do keep the stock nosewheel, get a dual strut "Faults" setup. Best nosewheel in town for a big plane.

Put the main tank under the wing saddle and run a small header tank up near the firewall. That way you can carry a bunch of fuel and use the plane for Long Distance fun flys. My friend put a 54oz tank under the wing and a 12oz tank behind the firewall. He uses a 3000mah Nicad pack and we can fly it non-stop for 100 miles. Still has plenty of fuel in the tank when we land it. He uses a Saito 91 with a 14-6, but we prop it up to a 15-6 for the long distance fun fly. That allows you to run the motor at less RPM and conserve fuel, while still maintaining 60MHP down the highway.

You might consider removing some of the dihedrahl from the wing. You can easily get by with only half of what the plans call for. Make a new dihedrahl brace from hard plywood and glue it in. You might consider bolting the wing on. That way it goes on the same way every time, and you won't have to fiddle with trims. Rubberbands are forgiving, but the wing will never sit in the same place twice. You'll have to trim the plane for each flight.

Reinforce the firewall with some large triangle stock, especially if you go with a large 4-stroke. Put tri-stock on the bottom of the firewall too.

Big bouncy Cub wheels look kinda cool on a Kadet.

Just a few ideas too get ya started.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:00 AM
secondchildhood

Thanks, Keep em coming guys. This is just the kind of stuff I was looking for.

And yes, i do plan to fly the snot out of it I really like the idea of the 91 Saito 4 stroke. Didn't know it could handle one that big.

Dwight Hayden
Old 08-09-2002, 03:04 AM
AKMac
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Seniorita which you probably already know is the smaller version of the Senior.

Like mentioned above, make sure you add ailerons. This is a must. If I was doing it again I would probably add some big 2" barn door ailerons, and probably flaps, but the flaps are optional for you.

Take out a lot of the dihedral. You can get away with taking it all out, but I would leave maybe a 1/2" just so the plane looks good sitting on the ground. Trust me on this one, the plane will be much funner like this. My Seniorita has the recommended amount, and while it's a very gentle plane, it does real sloppy rolls, and any other maneuver really isn't possible because it constantly wants to correct itself (not a bad thing, but not very fun if your an experienced flyer.)

One option that I'm not sure would work, but I'm going to try someday is clipping the wing by one rib on each side. These planes float like a glider, so I'm pretty sure it would work. In fact it would probably be better because I almost have a tough time landing mine because it just keeps floating and floating, and floating until I've ran out of runway.

I would imagine that a Senior could handle a .91 stroke just fine. My Seniorita is rated from a .15-.25 and I have a .40LA on it right now. It's much funner with the extra power, and I think you'll enjoy yours too if it's overpowered.

The suggestion about the wing bolts is right on. As long as your not landing real rough it like a lot of beginners do, you'll be just fine with wing bolts. Plus it looks a lot cleaner.

A also agree with making it a tail dragger, and flying wires. I wish mine had them. It would look real sharp if you put wheel pants on it too.

If you have any other question let me know. I think you'll enjoy your Senior. It's a smooth flying plane, and with the right mods can be as wild or mild as you like it.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:34 AM
secondchildhood

I'll definetly go with big ailerons, and take out some dihedral. Add the tail wires, and reinforcing tips mentioned by Rcpilet.
Could flaps be built, but locked in place until I could aford to upgrade from my 4 channel radio? Since the Senior is quite a "floater" I'm not sure what advantage the flaps would give though? Any thoughts from someone who has them on a Senior
or similar plane?

I really like the idea of the big tank centered on the wing, and a header tank at the firewall. When you guys fly for long distance, do you do large laps around your field, or do you take off then use a chase car and land elsewhere? Now that sounds like serious fun if you are way out in the country.

I am getting back into RC planes after a 35 year hieatus, and having a ball with my GP PT40. Things sure have changed. I am not nearly as quick on hand eye co ordination as in years gone by, so I think the Senior wil make a good "flying SUV" for me. Should be able to do most of what I want to do and not do it too fast for my reaction times like a Stick or faster plane would.

May even do a camera attach with it some day.

Thanks again guys, and keep em coming.

Dwight Hayden
Old 08-09-2002, 04:08 AM
AirplaneDan98

I don't see why you can't build the flaps and lock them in place. I have a Senorita to and I'm almost done with an aileron wing for it. I made 1 1/2 inch ailerons for it and I'm using dual ailerons servos so I can use flaperons. Flaps or flaperons certainly aren't necessary, but I want to know how slow this baby can go!!! lol. Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll love it. Dan
Old 08-09-2002, 05:18 AM
AKMac

Yeah, the flaps are there just for a fun factor. It's defiantly not required, but the next one I build will have them. Your already going through the work to modify the trailing edge of hlaf the ribs, so why not just follow through with the whole trailing edge and put some flaps there. You don't have to use them if you don't want to.

I think the ultimate set-up would be a clipped wing with some flaps. I think that would provide some interesting low speed maneuvers yet retain some higher speed flying as well. Though like I said before, I'm not possitive if a clipped wing would fly.

About the camera idea. I had a idea for a removable pod that sat in-between the landing gear of my Seniorita on two aluminum rails. The front of the pod was somewhat streamlined. The pod was about a foot long, the same width as the fuselage, and about 2 inches deep. Imagine a large float plane float on the belly of the plane. Anyways, this was to be equipped with a bombay door on the bottom, and had multiple 1/16 inch slits on the inside so I could take two rectangle pieces of plywood and position them so the cargo didn't roll around while I was flying. Anyways this was for the egg drop contests they have in my area. I never did build it, but I would imagine that it could be adapted for a camera. The camera could sit either looking forward or looking down. I think it would be a great way to mount a camera without having to permanently modify the plane.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:20 AM
AKMac

I just found this page. Maybe it will give you a few more idea's

http://home.earthlink.net/~pjburke1/kadets.htm
Old 08-09-2002, 01:38 PM
secondchildhood

I like the removeable camera pod idea you mentioned. The webpage you mentioned is great. It is nice to see all the different ways folks do their Kadet. I noticed one of the planes on that page had both ailerons and flaps. I suppose that I could just fix the flaps or even tie them to the ailerons first, then when I moved up to more channels I could use the flaps also.

Thanks guys,

Dwight
Old 08-09-2002, 02:58 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You know what I'd be tempted to suggest? Build a Sig Kadet LT-40. Put a nice TT Pro-46 or OS 40FX on it, and you won't be sorry.

I built and learned to fly on the Kadet Senior. Wonderful airplane. I built it as a 3 channel and powered it by a TT GP-42. Got lots of compliments on the build, and it provided a nice SLOW trainer for learning. I'm always gonna love a Kadet Senior. But now, if its windy, I'd rather not fly it. It's wonderful in light winds just puttering around the pattern, but like I've told the guys at the field, my fun factor goes down as the wind speed goes up.

I helped my g/f build a Sig Kadet LT-40, equipped with a TT Pro-46, now here's a plane that already has most of the mods already suggested. Bigger motor, ailerons. less dihedral. Its maiden flight was in winds of 13mph, not the greatest testing conditions, but the LT-40 flew just fine. We put in 3 flights that maiden flight day. My Kadet Senior, didn't even get the motor started, too windy.

So yeah, if your heart set on building a Kadet Senior, god bless you. I've seen some of the really cool "kinda make it look scale" ideas and I think thats great. Definitely put less dihedral in it and add ailerons. Definitely put a good .46 size or better motor on it. I also added the diagonals to top and bottom longerons. I cut out new dihedral braces out of 1/8 aircraft ply and added dihedral braces to the rear spar, top and bottom. I sheeted the bottom of the wing center. I added sheer webs two bays further, front and rear spar. Used 2" width fiberglass tape epoxied over the wing center joint, one piece wrapped from the top all the way around to the bottom. My Kadet came out tail heavy with the TT GP-42 and had to add about three ounces of lead in the nose. Another good reason to use a bigger (heavier) motor. Used the stock nose gear and its been a pain from day one. Bent now, I just say it has an attitude, but the biggest problem is the braided cable I used, snaking its way to the firewall just like the plans indicate. Tends to bend or buckle. I also replaced the stock liteply firewall with regular aircraft ply. Used fiberglass push rods with 4-40 hardware. Also went up two sizes in the wheels, just works better on the grass fields I fly.

I have 36 pics of my Kadet Senior in barebones and finished here in Webshots.
http://community.webshots.com/album/2024822VAMpbLOVAu

My g/f has 16 pics of her LT-40 here in Webshots. http://community.webshots.com/album/23090380FTpbCRYtse

So if you keep the Senior, enjoy the build. Its not a fast one, but it sure is a classic. I'll always love a Kadet.

Good flying, Tom
Old 08-09-2002, 03:51 PM
DSJBEAN

I just built a Senior from plans for a good friend of mine. I did most if not all of the mods mentioned above. He will be powering it with a TT PRO46. If you want to make some serious mods to the Senior do like I did and build it for floats. I built my second Senior for use as a float plane. Unfortueatly I havn't gotten to use it yet. I may have to take the 91 off and find a nother project if I don't get to float fly this year.

I built my original Senior stock and powered it with a TT GP42 like Tom. I really enjoy that plane. It is truly a relaxing plane to fly. I would guess that since I built it in Sept 2001 I probably have well over 150 flights on it and I tought my son to fly with it. I;m considering swaping out the 42 for the extra PRO46 I have sitting in my shop so that I can fly off grass a little easier.

Another neat mod would be to make it a twin with 2 gp42's sitting on the wing.

Happy building.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:52 PM
secondchildhood

Tom,

The pics on your plane and your girlfriends plane look great. The one in the fall colors is fantastic. I like your color choices. I assume that after fiberglassing the sheeted areas you painted those areas and painted the stripes, then used Monocote on the wing and ribbed areas. It's nice seeing someones build as it progressed. And I appreciate everyones input. I'll defintetly stay with the Senior, as I already have a .40 plane now and wish to go bigger. (They sure get small when they get altitude and distance Having somewhat of a "Tim Allen syndrome" I can never leave anything stock, or follow plans to the letter, I like to improve on existing design whenever possible. I will ditch the cable setup for the control surfaces like you said, and use rigid pushrods.

dsjbean,

The float plane sounds like a neat idea. Could the landing gear be made removeable so it could be swapped from wheels to floats? I do have a small pond available for float flying, so may consider that. Do you happen to have any pics of your plane?
Twin .40s would be very nice on the wings, but I'm afraid that would be well beyond my capabilities as a builder. Sure would look good though. I'll probably end up with a larger 4 stroke on it when I'm done. The size of the plane along with the sound should make it pretty cool

Thanks again guys,

Dwight Hayden
The following users liked this post:
Fulcrum2111 (09-02-2020)
Old 08-09-2002, 07:52 PM
Tom Nied

Dwight,
Thanks for the compliment. Yes, the front sheeted area on the fuselage is from the rear window line/diagonal forward, is fiberglassed and painted with TopFlite LustreKote to match the yellow of the MonoKote.

Well I'm glad you're up to building the Senior. Ha, its got kind of scale appearance just as is. Do the mods and you'll have something. I'm envious. Hmmmm, tempting tempting,,,,,,,,,,,,nah, I got enough projects on the board. Ha. Have a good one.

Good flying, Tom
Old 08-10-2002, 04:56 AM
jeffmd2

I built a Senior Kadet last year. I modified the wing with ailerons and flaps, each with its own servo. The flaps are massive, the ailerons measure 16" x 4.5" cord, it rolls like a pattern plane. I have a K&B 61 for power. Tail dragger, and a dual door bomb bay the size of Texas. It measures 9.5" x 3.5" x 3.5" deep. I can easily carry two water balloons to ridiculous altitude in minutes with flaps deployed 1/4. In a head wind with flaps down I can maintain no forward motion. Slow flight is great fun with the huge flaps. Elevator trim is constant and can be a handful to fly. A super fun plane to fly.
Pictures can be seen at:
http://www.angelfire.com/wa/JeffMDuffield/rcplanes.html
Old 08-10-2002, 11:26 AM
secondchildhood

jeffmd2,

You've built some very nice planes. I really like the "mini me" you built for your son. Really cool to have a matching set like that. It sounds like you describe your Senior to be exactly the way I want to build mine. Did you by any chance take photos during construction? If so I would love to see how you did your ailerons, flaps, and bombay door.

Thanks

Dwight Hayden
Old 08-10-2002, 01:20 PM
Tom Nied

jeffmd2,

From your description and the pic, that's a really cool Kadet Senior! If my Senior was equipped out like that a few days ago, the wind wouldn't have mattered. In fact, it might have been welcomed. Yours has an aggressive look to it with that tail dragger configuration. Very well done jeffmd2.

Dwight, you should consider making yours a tail dragger, eliminates the problem with the nose wheel altogether. Even with a tricycle gear, in windy conditions, I've nosed over while taxiing. Once enough wind gets under that big wing from just the right angle, she starts to tip. Ailerons would help to counter that. I've never flown a RC tail dragger but in Controline that's all I had and takeoffs and landings were always OK if the gear and CG were in the right place. I notice on jeffmd2's Senior he has it just slightly in front of the of the leading edge of the wing. I've been told, this is an optimum location for a tail dragger. KB .61, now thats a way to give it some power. I once heard from someone that some older fellows in Florida loved flying these Seniors with .91's! With that much power on hand, think I would extend the sheer webs all the way out. Definitely would not scrimp on the glue. You're getting some good solid suggestions here Dwight. Nice thing about the Senior is that its design is open for suggestion. I pretty much have a stock Claude McCulloughs Senior Kadet, which is fine considering I learned how to fly on it. If I ever built another, I'd do some of the mods and even try some of the "sort of scale" attempts. Well I know what you're going to be doing this Fall/Winter. It's a nice big plane.

Good Flying, Tom
Old 08-10-2002, 11:37 PM
EDsnead
My Feedback: (10)

Default LT-25 wing for Sig Seniorita

My Seniorita engaged in a serious debate with a tree at the end of of our field and lost the argument. The wing was undamaged so I store it to be used later
I bought a LT-25 and built it. I noticed while building the wing,aside from built-in ailerons on the 25 the wing was identical to the Seniorita.
I now have plans for a wing with ailerons for my Sig Seniorita when I decide to rebuild the body.
The LT-25 is OK but it can't replace the Seniorita
Old 08-11-2002, 12:38 AM
jeffmd2

Default Kadet Senior Modifications

To add to my above post. I have taken some pictures of my plane to show the flaps, ailerons, and bomb bay. My other notable mods are: diheadral reduced to 3 degrees, wing hold down bolts, cross bracing in each rib bay, added rib to sandwich the servos in the wing for flaps and ailerons.

http://community.webshots.com/album/46532505zmDjmv

e-mail me if you need more detailed info or pictures

[email protected]

Jeff Duffield
Old 08-11-2002, 01:31 AM
secondchildhood

Default Re: LT-25 wing for Sig Seniorita

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EdSnead
[B]My Seniorita engaged in a serious debate with a tree at the end of of our field and lost the argument.

OUCH, When it is a balsa VS Elm battle, the balsa usually comes out on the short end

Sorry to hear of the carnage. At least you will have a spare wing for the next one this way

Take care, and maybe we can compare notes when you build your next one.

Dwight
Old 08-11-2002, 01:59 AM
secondchildhood

Default Re: Kadet Senior Modifications

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jeffmd2
[B]To add to my above post. I have taken some pictures of my plane to show the flaps, ailerons, and bomb bay.
<snip>

Jeff,

All I can say is WOW!! You have taken the project to a complete new level. I am impressed to say the least. Those are some serious flaps and ailerons. The bombay would make an excellent spot for a camera, and it could even be protected when the doors are closed and the camera is not in use, take off, landing etc. It could be a lot of fun too for the balloon and egg drops too.

If you dont mind I probably will be in touch with you via email when I do get started on mine this fall. Basically, I believe I want to build your plane You have done everything that I had thought of and much much more. I will save this complete thread, as well as all the pics that folks have sent or posted and this will be my guide to building my"Ultimate" Senior. I will probably temporarily anchorfix the flaps, and leave the bombay inoperative until later on when I can upgrade to more channels. (Currently have a 4 ch.) But I do want to incorporate them in the build.

I do like the looks of the Senior as a tail dragger vs tri, and I will probably follow the advice I've recieved here from many and go that route, along with the oversize tires. It may also help a bit when there is a breeze as Tom mentioned. I'd imagine as light as the Senior is, with just a touch of throttle the rear is lifted anyway so I should be able to adapt to it.

You guys are great, I'm sure glad i found RCU forum.

Dwight

PS,
I talked to a few of the guys at my local rc club fly field today and told them what I was planning on, some though it was a good idea, and volunteered their expertise and help, while others looked at me and kinda shook their heads as if to say this new guy is a little strange

To each their own I always say ...
Old 08-11-2002, 04:19 AM
jeffmd2

Dwight,

One of the next projects for me is to build a camera pod that will fit in my bomb bay. Yes, being able to close the doors to protect the camera is the way to go. I will be happy to work with you on the mods for your senior. I did take construction photo's with a 35 MM camera, (no digital camera at the time). I can scan them for you. I can also draw diagrams of the ribs and other cross sections that will be required if you want to copy my idea's. It was a design as you go project for me and I hope I can remember how I did it. A tail dragger configuration is a must if you want to put a bomb bay in the plane. Take a look at the fuselage plans and you can see right behind section C is the wide open space for the bomb compartment. Your main gear will be moved to just in front of section C. As you get ready to build, e-mail me and I can give you more detailed instructions on the wing and fuselage construction. I added quite a bit of weight with all my mods and 8 servo's. The .61 size 2 stroke or .91 size 4 stroke is a must.
Thanks for all the kind words about my plane, I look forward to helping you build what I call the "SUPER SENIOR"

Jeff
Old 08-12-2002, 10:24 AM
DSJBEAN

Dwight,

Pics of my float plane are on my website. Gear can be set up so that wheels can be used also. Balance with wheels then add floats and rebalane by adding weight to the floats if needed.

http://www.********.net/pages/dsjbean
Old 08-12-2002, 09:16 PM
secondchildhood

I appreciate all the response and wish to thank all for the pics and advise. I'll probably be contacting some of you guys via email this fall or winter when I start on the plane. While at the fly field yesterday I watched a guy take his up and basically ride the wind currents and thermals for what seemend like forever. He was just as laid back and relaxed as it slowly would float around like an eagle or hawk does when looking for prey. The versatility of this model is amazing.

The float setup looks really neat, and our club does do a float fly a couple of times a year. I may have to consider that as an accessory.

Thanks again,
Dwight
Old 08-13-2002, 12:44 AM
DSJBEAN

Dwight,

As I said in a previous post, I just got done building one from plans with half the dihedral and airelons. Also made it a bolt on wing. I have pics all throughout the build process if you want I can e-mail them to you or just keep the disk handy in the event you would want them at a later date.

Doug
Old 08-13-2002, 01:07 AM
secondchildhood

Originally posted by dsjbean
Dwight,

As I said in a previous post, I just got done building one from plans with half the dihedral and airelons. Also made it a bolt on wing. I have pics all throughout the build process if you want I can e-mail them to you or just keep the disk handy in the event you would want them at a later date.

Doug
Yesss! Definetly send me the pics of your build up. Those will be very valuable to me when i start on mine. I am especially interested in the aileron modification. I understand that Sig now offers an ARF "With" ailerons now. I dont see why they never offered it as an option before on the kit.

Thanks!!!

Dwight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.