Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

CLANCY SPEEDY BEE

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

CLANCY SPEEDY BEE

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 10:16 AM
wilga35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CLANCY SPEEDY BEE

HI GUYS

ANY OF YOU FLOWN OR BUILT A SPEEDY BEE I HAVE THE PLANS OF THE
40INCH SPAN ONE BUT WOULD LIKE TO BUILD A BIGGER ONE SAY 56INCH
SPAN FOR A 40 FOUR STROKE ANYONE DONE THIS .

FLY WELL
Old 10-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Dsegal

Default RE: CLANCY SPEEDY BEE

Someone called this the most labor intensive small model, and that is right. It was hard to fit a fuel tank into that nacelle and the entire engine and nacelle are barely attached to the wing. Not for the faint of heart. It looked great and did the tightest turns but was clumsy otherwise- rolls and loops were disappointing.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:06 PM
dicknadine

just get out your pencil, straight edge, triangles, big piece of butcher paper, calculator, ERASER and start up scaling by your %. size of balsa ? I normally use 1/3 to 1/2 percent more-- its an educated guess, depends on your intended stress use, ie normal flying vs hot dogging. old time scratch builder. dick
Old 10-08-2004, 08:28 PM
bbbair

I have now owned and crashed three Speedy Bees and I know them to bee extremely agile and a whole lot of fun.

However; they do posess the distinction of being the only plane that I ever over powered with an OS .20.

I had the dowel break on one and the horizontal stab tear off on the other two - all while pulling out of a Split S. My solutions are simple; go to a 1/4" dowel and put a 3/4" LE of spruce on the stab.

As to putting a 40 FS on a Bee . . . In my humble opinion it would have to bee a lot bigger than 56" wingspan. These planes are designed for slow E Flight, they have giant wings with lots of lift and enormous control surfaces. If you put too much power in them - you will not be happy with the results.

If you are determined to make a BIG BEE I'll look forward to your final review; BUT IMO a 56" Speedy might be capable of handling a .30 two stroke.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:05 AM
wilga35

HI GUYS

THANKS FOR COMMENTS WILL DO A BIT MORE RESEARCH BEFORE I START
WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON .

FLY WELL
Old 06-09-2010, 11:58 PM
1954 Ducky

Kinko's/FedX Office (now) can reduce/enlarge the plans. If you have them on PDF, they can do it that way easily enough too. Either way, you can size them to sute. 150% will give you a 60" wing (short wing) or 72" wing (larger wing).

I've went 200% on my Lazy Bee- 8 foot of Bee - I call it my "Monster Bee", uses Dubro's 1/3 Scale Cub Wheels (They are a little heavy, but the Bee's are a little pron to being tail heavy anyway.) and powered by a Saito .90 Twinn. I couldn't think of a prettier plan to put that in (unless it 's a "Speedy Bee"). Still thinking "Light" I figure with the wing area of a barn door - it would probably lift me.

I'll be building for a while - I've managed to acquire plans for all the Bee's including the Slow Poke (I know - Not Clancy's, but it looks like a Low Wing Bee).