Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How do I fix this??

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How do I fix this??

Old 08-09-2002, 05:55 PM
wad1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I fix this??

I bought an ARF/RTF Thunder Tiger Trainer 40 off of ebay. Got a steal, $200 (with everything). The only thing that happened was some things got a little damaged during shipping, but look like an easy fix. I'm not sure how to go about fixing them though, as I am a newb

Now I've done alot of reading, and it seems that most things are fixed with monokote, but i thought that was mostly tears in wings and such. On my plane the material that is broken seems like some sort of plastic....
And I don't want to go through the hastle of insurance claim through the post office if i can fix it easily.

PS. None of the balsa is broken.

Thanks ahead for any help.
Wade
Old 08-09-2002, 06:09 PM
lnorris
My Feedback: (1)

Actually you could fix part of it with just some epoxy but..

Do you have someone lined up to train you to fly? If so, let them take a look at it. There are things that are obvious and things that aren't so obvious when it comes to damage. And it would probably be best to have them take a look at it before you get everything sealed back up.

If you don't have someone lined up, then try and find a local hobby shop/club and find someone through there. There isn't (shouldn't be) any cost or obligation.

And if you don't plan on getting trained.. well, I wouldn't spend TOO much time on the repairs..
Old 08-09-2002, 06:14 PM
wad1234

Good advice about the training. I'm definitely going to get someone to train, and I've also been using FMS ( i know it's not as good as G2, but.. $) with my TX. I might just try the epoxy thing, because I plan on crashing of course . Will small indents in the plastic portions on the top of the fuse affect flying much? Also, will heat applied to the end cap (not sure what this is called) on the stabilizer/elevator allow me to bend that back into place?
Old 08-09-2002, 06:22 PM
lnorris

hehe, I figured you where going to be trained. .. Seriously, before repairing it, I would have it looked at, in person, by someone whose built a few models. Just to be on the safe side in case of internal damage and to help with ideas on how to repair it STRAIGHT.

The idents shouldn't effect it, just cosmetic more than likely.

I believe that is the wingtip that is plastic. And heat might fix it, might shrink it into a melted ball. I would probably try straightening it out by glueing pieces if balse inside the plastic.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:24 PM
wad1234

Yeah, i was going to try putting some wood inside that to straighten it out. I think you've answered my questions! Thanks for helping a newb out .

Wade
Old 08-09-2002, 06:49 PM
mucksmear

Yeah, like the others have said, get someone from your local r/c club or such, to look at it in person, to check for hidden damag, etc. Cant tell, but from the top photo, looks like there might also be some fuselage damage right in front of the horizontal stab.

-E
Old 08-09-2002, 07:02 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And remember... Epoxy doesn't stick to plastic!
Old 08-09-2002, 07:52 PM
lnorris

It doesn't???

I thought epoxy stuck to EVERYTHING!!!

Heck, I've seen entire planes built of epoxy.. At least, that is what it seemed was holding the engine on...

(actually, good point. Not used to seeing plastic in our planes)...
Old 08-12-2002, 01:03 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's why I love using those plastic lids from coffee cans to mix epoxy on. You mix it up, use it, and then the next time you need to mix some, you just peel the old stuff off, and the lid's good as new.