Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 08:48 AM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

thank you for the link.

i will look it up

the more i know
the better

i was trying to do damage control

from the moment i made airplane forward, with the cross wind

i was doomed to fail.

my mistake. i should have stopped

and my friend
even said,,

dont you think it is too windy?

i probably should not have been out there at all

now, i check weather on internet anytime i want to go fly
and i look for wind speed

yesterday it was 20 MPH from south
tomorrow it is supposed to be 6 mph

on that day
winds were over 15 vmph.

i learned my lesson.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:15 PM
combatman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[/quote]

OK, so let me get this straight. You are at low airspeed, low alititude, and high angle of attack, and you somehow think you are going to pull this manuver off?? Add in the cross wind, and this was doomed to failure from the start. No offense, but I think you need to sit down at this web site: http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/bga.html This is a good basic intro to aircraft areodynamics, which a lot of modelers need more of IMHO. I've been flying R/C for over 20 years, and probably 80% of the crashes I have witnessed were due to the pilot not really understanding what makes an aircraft fly. They yank on the sticks, and assume the plane will respond, which isn't always the case.

[/quote]

Actually, when people yank on the sticks, a plane typically DOES respond a little too well. Beginners need to learn to move the sticks gently, not yank on them.

Has the pilot of that plane learned to fly on a trainer yet?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:27 AM
orthobird

Yes
I have flown a trainer, I have the Aerofly simulator,
I have flown a gp big giant stick with over 25 flights,
I have flown a extra 300 electric multiple times,
I have flown a 27% extra 260,
I have flown a sundowner 35 nitro over 10 flights

I flew again the super decathlon less than 10 hours ago.
Perfectly landing, airplane still wants to roll to left

I used aileron trim to right
And was able to get the best flight ever
Out of this bird

I will show you a picture of position if aileron required to get it to fly level.
I did notice
However
That airplane did not have tendency to roll to left
When I eased off the throttle
Which makes me believe my problem deals with thrust
And torque.
This weekend, I will play with it and increase the right thrust
Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 PM
lamarkeiko

I finally made a decision and ordered the engine for my SD. After a lot of concideration for a Mintor 33cc and a Syssa 30cc, I decided to go for the OS GT-33. I ordered one from Tower 2 days ago. $30 incentive and free shipping got it for $369. I have a couple OS nitro engines, and they perform great for me, so I don't think I can go wrong.
I wanted to order some gas fuel line, but I have some confusion on the proper size to get. The OS manual for the GT-33 specifies yellow tygon with a 3mm ID and a 6mm OD. Tower only lists three different sizes that I can find. 3/32", 1/8" & 5/32" ID. I'm sure 5/32" is too large. 3mm converts to .1181 inch, 3/32" converts to .09375 inch, and 1/8" converts to .125 inch. Which size should I be ordering?
Thanks
Lamar
Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 PM
[email protected]

Update: Over 20 flights now, and I've stopped counting. It flies well, but has a higher stall speed than I would like. It weighs less than 15 pounds, but with the OS120FX glow engine, it feels heavy but not necessarily underpowered. One hard landing broke the landing gear mounting plate. I replaced it with a 1/4" x 3" x 6" plywood plate. Also replaced the wood screws used to mount the struts with 8/32 screws and blind nuts. The SD is more capable than its pilot - I'm re-learning after being away from the hobby for 18 years. I'll be installing the fuel spigot on the cowl and mounting the cowl for this coming weekend flights.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14314.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	1757253  
Old 05-01-2012, 01:40 PM
beepee

dand,

You made some changes much like I did on my SD, reinforcing the landing gear plate and the strut mount. Be careful, though, that you don't end up with one (the landing gear plate) taking out the struts and possibly causing damage to the wings. I separated the gear plate from the struts mount so that IF the gear plate was jerked out for any reason (not by pilot action of course!) it would spare the wing. It worked, more-or-less, until one particularly bad landing took out the whole airframe.

Enjoy!

Bedford
Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM
orthobird

I am working on the snaps as described by someone else on this forum.
The snaps hold the struts to fuse and to wing

Old 05-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: beepee

dand,

You made some changes much like I did on my SD, reinforcing the landing gear plate and the strut mount. Be careful, though, that you don't end up with one (the landing gear plate) taking out the struts and possibly causing damage to the wings. I separated the gear plate from the struts mount so that IF the gear plate was jerked out for any reason (not by pilot action of course!) it would spare the wing. It worked, more-or-less, until one particularly bad landing took out the whole airframe.

Enjoy!

Bedford
Sorry to read about your mishap.

What kind of glue did you use ?
Did you double glue and create glue fillets ?

What kind of covering did you use ?

Zor

Old 05-02-2012, 12:29 PM
futabaflyer83

I just started building my Dynaflite Super Decathlon. After seeing the blue and yellow scheme, Ithink I will borrow it too. Very Sharp.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 PM
futabaflyer83

If I were to instll the DLE 55 on the nose, what prop works best? I am hearing some concerns with clearance.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 PM
futabaflyer83

Should the struts be modified to handle the extra load for the larger engine? Thanks
Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM
orthobird

i have an fg 36 saito 4 stroke, it certainley does not have enough power for this plane, but it flies, will stall easily.
it uses an 18 x 8 prop

i just checked, and with airplane in takeoff position, the prop blade tip is 3 inches from ground.

i have a extra 260 27% with a 50 cc evolution engine, and it uses a 23 x 8 prop.

so imagine your dle 55 cc would use something in that ballpark.

i doubt your prop will clear ground safely with that size engine.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:00 PM
orthobird

i forgot to mention that i am using 5 inch dubro wheels, which gives me more clearance
Old 05-02-2012, 01:36 PM
futabaflyer83

Thank you. I was already thinking I would need to go to a 3 blade prop for clearance. I have been looking at a 19x10 3 blade for the DLE 55.
The PTE 36 from troybuiltmodels.com or the new OSGT33 are my other choices. Idon't know if the DA 35 will be out in time to make it a player.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 PM
beepee

Zor,

Wow, either I have been away for longer than I thought, or this thread has gone ultra-active.

For all of the high stress joints I used 30-min epoxy. I am slow. 30-min epoxy is my 5-min stuff. I did some basic extra reinforcement, but found the overall lite-ply construction to be the ultimate weakness that cannot be overcome.

I covered mine is Solartex - all white, then rattle-can sprayed it with Rustoleum, black fuse bottom, yellow above, and red star burst in the standard ACA color scheme. The standard scheme is hard enough. The optional scheme which is found on the Dynaflight box is another matter. The rustoleum is a WHOLE LOT easier than any hobby paint I ever used.

Cheers,

Bedford
Old 05-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Nothrottle

Using a 22 x 10 composite. Ground clearance 1-1/2 " with 6" Dubro inflatable tires lightly inflated. Always very conscious of staying somewhat nose-up throughout the landing. Wooden props cost difference negligible compared with composites. One touch of wood even on grass field, the wood prop is done.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:30 AM
Thisstrangeengine

I've been checking this Decathlon out for YEARS and finally ordered one before they decide to pull the plug and stop producing it. I can't even remember how long ago it's been since I first saw it, but I knew one day I would have one. Well it will be here later today and hopefully after finishing a couple other projects I'll begin this build. I have a smaller GP Decathlon, but just going to keep it in kit form it since it's out of production.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:39 AM
futabaflyer83

Do you have any pictures of your completed model with the 6 inch tires? I assume that you are not using any wheel pants?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:49 AM
minkiehuoise

i am getting ready to put my electrontic in my plane and was wounding where everybody is installing it .ihave a new dle 30 engine
     and where can a person can get the stuff for the panel . thanks for any info   minkiehuoise
Old 05-04-2012, 05:46 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: beepee

Zor,

Wow, either I have been away for longer than I thought, or this thread has gone ultra-active.

For all of the high stress joints I used 30-min epoxy. I am slow. 30-min epoxy is my 5-min stuff. I did some basic extra reinforcement, but found the overall lite-ply construction to be the ultimate weakness that cannot be overcome.

I covered mine is Solartex - all white, then rattle-can sprayed it with Rustoleum, black fuse bottom, yellow above, and red star burst in the standard ACA color scheme. The standard scheme is hard enough. The optional scheme which is found on the Dynaflight box is another matter. The rustoleum is a WHOLE LOT easier than any hobby paint I ever used.

Cheers,

Bedford
Bedford,

First many thanks for your reply.

I find it interesting that Solartex and Rustoleum is available out your way.
I will browse this thread to see if there is a picture of your plane.

Is there much activity in RC models in Russia ?
Is there any local clubs (groups) and any local distibutors or retailers of RC stuff ?

I have a dear friend for many years by the first name of Vladimir who used to live in Ekaterinburg in the Urals.
He now works for a German company Siemens and they moved him to Bulgaria as he covers mainly the Balkans.

Nice to be in touch with you. Your English is very good butI realize that perhaps you are not a Russian native.

Please keep in touch with a Canadian.

Zor

Old 05-05-2012, 07:45 AM
beepee

Thanks Zor, but I have to admit I am American from Houston (TX) working as an expat here in Moscow. I built and flew my SD while I still lived in Houston. It was a fun bird, but a little short lived for me. I made the mistake of trying to bring it back from a deadstick a long way off and lost airspeed. It stalled and nosed in hard from about 12ft up. Pretty much killed everything but the wings. Sad.

There is flying here in the Moscow area, but I don't participate. I have no personal car so weekend travel to a flying field with bird and gear in tow is not going to happen. I complain not. One of my other favorite hobbies is kitting and building. So now I can sit in my apartment all warm and cozy cutting ribs and formers for something I will build when I get back. Working on kitting a BUSA 1/4 scale L4 Cub right now.

Take care,

Bedford
Old 05-05-2012, 02:06 PM
orthobird

hello

dynaflite recommends 2 degrees right thrust and 5 degrees down.

i am using a 4 cycle FG 36 saito for this plane
swinging an APC 18 x 10 prop

the plane will roll to left.

do you believe i need to increase right thrust more.

i just checked again with the robart meter, with my plane on its side, the right thrust is 2 degrees.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:55 PM
orthobird

update on flight today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPU_L7U0UUI
Old 05-07-2012, 12:25 PM
G8er

I really don't understand why you would be doing flat spin and stall maneuvers at such a low altitude on a plane that you obviously are having problems with. Especially seeing how it looks like your still having troubles with the take off and precision maneuvers, no offense. I am sure your decent pilot and have flown a lot of planes, but it seems like all your crashes are pilot error and not the aircraft/mechanics.

Hopefully you do not get too discouraged and give up on building, I am hoping your motor makes it threw this landing and you keep us updated on your success with your next project. 
Old 05-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Nothrottle

Cshahrdar, I see you are registered with AMA. Was that a club field you were flying on? If so, your required safety officer would ground you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.