Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 66 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 1950

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

As a side bar, I found some tape at a local Tractor Supply Co. It's called tarp repair tape, (very soft and very pliable), and comes in several different colors. It's a little heavy to use as hinge tape on electric or most models under a 60 size but I think it will do well on giant scale. It looks like a real heavy version of Blenderm tape that the foamy guys use as hinge tape. I will probably place it on the bottom of the Decath to seal the hinge gap.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sp45052.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	1787457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk31374.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	1787458  
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thought I would post a little bit about how I install hinges. First, I find a metal jar lid and place about a spoon full of petrolium jelly in it. I then turn my covering iron on about 2 or 3 heat setting and place the metal lid on the shoe. As a result the vaseline melts and as you cans see, I bend the joint a few times working the lube into the joint. This will help isolate the hinge joint from any epoxy that might get on it. When done I wipe off the excess epoxy from the hinge before it completely hardens. I normally leave the vaseline on the knuckle as it is a good lubricant for the hinge. But, You don't have to. When finished, find a suitable top for your jar lid and save the vaseline, "(which re-solidifies when the heat is removed)", for the next project. I had some in the jar lid for a couple of years and used numerious times. I finally replaced it with fresh vasiline for these pictures. Also, I smear a little vaseline on the covering around the hinge area to keep epoxy from sticking to the covering and allowing for easy clean up prior to it completely curing.

Name:	Jh16078.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	1787470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm36579.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	1787471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo31886.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	1787472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pj19161.jpg 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	1787473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rc39370.jpg 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	1787474  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ev23740.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	1787475  
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's basically the way I do it too. The only difference is I took a coat hangar and fashioned a frame around the vasaline lid ( mine was metal) and bent a base on the wire for the lid to set level allowing enough room for a small candle to heat the vasaline. I also use the same method on my Dubro butt style hinges both regular and large scale type. When done I just grab the wire frame with pliers and pour it right back into the container. Either way is slick.
    Frank

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice ideas. I think I will be able to maiden mine Sunday if the weather holds up. Wildcrashwilly,  You are doing a very nice job on yours.
    It's looking really good
    ED
    Goldberg Tiger Club #25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got mine maidened today, the g38 has plenty of power, and it flew really nice. It flies like a scale plane. Rolls are smooth, loops are smooth, and very stable. It came in at 17 lbs, no extra weight with the g38. The rear servos are in the stock location, and the batteries and throttle servo are on the cg. I think the stock cg location is a little too far back, as it needed seven clicks of down elevator.. I will get some pictures later this week.
    Ed

There are some build pictures on page 56.
    Goldberg Tiger Club #25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After a break that lasted too long I am back and building. As with everyone else I have been struggling to find the best way to get everything under the hood in the fuel tank area and still be able to service it later. It is coming together now.

Name:	Db84283.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	1789984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn40453.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	1789985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv56014.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	1789986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ga77467.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	1789987  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is starting to look like an airplane now. Hope to maiden her before the year is over. The winters in florida can be a bit windy and it is nice to have a big bird to fly during those months.

Name:	Om33098.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	1789988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zv67110.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	1789989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq37803.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	1789990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xr46457.jpg 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	1789991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ug53040.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	1789992  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

that looks like about where i am. i am getting ready to starting to cover mine ,have the batterys and switches in but havent been doingto much as it has been to hot here.
    your plane looks good,wayne

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks! I have not built a plane in years and I really enjoy it. I just need some time off work to do the important stuff, like build and fly,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lookin' good, I spent since July 2011 and could have had it ready sooner, but life keeps getting in the way
    ED
    Goldberg Tiger Club #25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are some pictures, I have the struts left to make, probably will wait for winter now. Actually flew really good, I was worried with all the negative comments about it not being a good flier,

Name:	Zx72031.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	1790147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni24701.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	1790148  
    Goldberg Tiger Club #25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

Nice work, lokks great!

I had maiden flight yesterday, and i must agre its a great flyer. And the Zenoah 38 hadplenty of power for mee (i am flying on the wing, not only the propeller)

Helloto all of The Dynaflite Super Dec builders,theplane is wery nice to fly. Look forward to the maiden fligt when youhavefinished thebuilding

Maiden flight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvqYuCDdWhg

RGS
    Jan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wow, what a beauty. good job!!
    AMA # 982277
    3DHS Extra 330 SC 119" DA 170
    Bill Hempel Yak 40% DA 170
    Extreme Flight Extra 300 91" DA 60 MTW RE2
    Great Planes Matt Chapman Eagle Cap DA 120
    Extreme FLight Extra 300 78" DA35 (Soon)
    Hangar 9 Extra 260 DA50
    GP Revolver 70 Saito FA1.25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kolbboer,
    What prop are you running on the g38. I have an 18-10. And just keeps going at an idle, if there is wind no problem, but no wind and it just keeps floating.
    Thank ed

Also thanks for the comments, I see you can get seagull 120 wheel pants for 17.00 fiberglass and painted red. I think I will try those.
    Goldberg Tiger Club #25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Ed,

Its a Biela 18x10.

I have heard that this brand is a little bit heavier for the engine to turn, than many other brands with same pitch and diameter, i have also the sameexperiense in the past with othermodels that i have in my hangar.

things to do now is to mount the painted wheel pants and the musicwire mod on the landing gear.

Going to try som different props soon. I can keep you posted on this.

Jan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JUST AN UPDATE: I built mine about 3 years ago (and posted to this forum a lot back then) but don't fly it too much. I probably have 20 flights on it. As expected the plastic cowl finally bit the dust. It held up well at the joints since I used fiberglass reinforcements. But the air intake up front started cracking badly and the holes around the mounting screws just expanded too big. I knew all this was going to happen. Its just a matter of time. So I finally ordered the fiberglass cowl from Fiberglass Specialties this evening.

Some folks recently quoted my posts of using heavy wire reinforcement on the stock LG. It wasn't my original idea, but I have been extremely pleased. I've had a few harder-than-desired landings and very little deformity so far.

I run a Saito 1.80 which is plenty of power but a horrible muffler design. Quick take offs on grass with extremely huge round loops all while the muffler loosens and melts into the plastic cowl.

Any hints how to keep the muffler tightened?
    Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ron,

Can you give me a rough idea what you paid for the cowl. I'm useing the plastic cowl on mine and like you, I expect it to crack and fail over time.

I covered one of the wings yesterday and hope to get the other one next weekend. At that time my covering will be complete. I used ultracoat for some white, and black & white checks on the bottom. The ultracoat worked perfectly and was easily applied. In fact, both wings are covered on the bottom. All I like is the top surfaces on the one wing and a little trim work (star burst pattern), for the rest of the plane. As I may have mentioned before, the upper surfaces are Monocrap. This stuff is awful. At one point yesterday, I seriously considered ripping all the monocoat off of the plane and putting in an order for Ultracoat. But against my better judgement, I'm sticking with it on this job. This will be my last plane to use monocoat other than some trim lines or something like that. I have used Ultra for years and never had an issue of any type. On my 3D or sport planes I will continue to Ultracoat but earlier in this thread, some of the guys have sold me on the coverite cloth covering. That is what I'm going to try on my scale type planes in the future.

Did not update any photos this weekend so I'll catch them up next weekend. I won't be able to work on it during the week, pesky side activity called a job you know. Actually glad to have one this day and age.

Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nh4cio4

Thanks for the complement ED. It looks okay from thirty feet but up close is pretty bad. Worked on it some more this week end. I know, I sound like a broken record but the Monocoat was a big mistake. I cut out stars and stripes on yellow Monocoat. I installed the trim with acetone. When I misted the acetone and placed the trim on, it looked really good. However, after curing all night the next morning I discovered the trim was extremely drawn up in to wrinkles and overall just looks terrible. I plan to fly it like it is for now but, when the dead of winter gets here, I'm going to rip that crap off and go back with UltraCoat since the white and the Black & White checkers are Ultracoat. I may rip it all off and try some of that Coverite some of you told me about. Hate to do that as the Ultracoat portion of the covering is perfect. We'll see how I feel about it st the time. I have some other builds waiting in the wings that I want to start including a scratch build that I have not decided on a name yet. In fact, I havn't even drawn out the plans yet but I did buy a DLE55 the other day so I'll draw some plans around it. It will be some kind of Stick only it won't look like a stick. Anyway, I digressed enough. Decath pics below.

Name:	Rp44701.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	1798586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je10997.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	1798587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ze84825.jpg 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	1798588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	At55273.jpg 
Size:	233.1 KB 
ID:	1798589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dp84028.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	1798590  

Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ed, your plane looks great! I wish mine looked half as good. Still have to paint the cowl. I've purchased two different greens from the rattle can dept. at Lowes and unfortunately niether one matches good. Someone told me to try John Deer Green so I'm going to drive over to the John Deer Tractor dealer and see if they have a can.

Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm confused? I used Monokote over Monokote on mine with the Monokote trim adhesive and it all worked great. It was surprising to me how that little bit of damp film of adhesive activated the glue and made it bond.

What do you think went wrong. Was it a mix of coverings or the use of acetone?

Sorry... I don't mean for this to sound like rubbing it in as I would be really upset with the same results. So, I'm trying to figure out exactly what not to do... yeah, I make plenty of mistakes and would like to avoid this one.

Yes, I feel really bad for you.
    Please, no more cuts to education. We need to get Congress out of the third grade!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm pretty sure acetone will completely dissolve Monokote if you use enough. So over night it probably ate away at both the original covering and the trim layer (were it was sandwiched and not able to evaporate) yielding the wrinkles you can see in your pics. Acetone is not the same as trim adhesive. My guess is that a complete recovering will be a good winter project.

For my stars I used the "Windex" method and, 24 hours later, heat to bond trim to the covering followed by a heavy outline using clear nail polish. They have held up very well so far. Just spray windex (not an imitation) on the back of the trim, put in position and squeeze out all air bubbles using your favorite credit card. Next day, cover with paper and iron just enough to activate the adhesive. I was amazed that this actually worked.
    Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I own a sign company, so I used mono kote and then sign vinyl for all the decals, I know cheating.

For painting the cowl, thai is why  I went with black and white easy to match. Colors are more difficult.
    Good luck matching the paint.
    ED
    Goldberg Tiger Club #25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dumorian,
    The acetone was misted onto the green with a mister bottle. I've had success with this method on Ultra but the mono obviously has a different chemistry. I do think the acetone was a mistake with this covering. The heat activation is so poor on the monocoat I didn't think I would be able to heat the trim enough to stick it.

Ron,
    I tried the windex method first but could not get any adhesion with a test strip even after about 20 hours. Perhaps this not enough time. Testing the acetone on a test piece actually worked however my test Pc was solid. The wing was open bay behind the green which may be a contributing factor.

BTW guys don.'t worry about my taking a statement as rubbing it in or negative. Obviously I am having an issue here and something you say might cause a light bulb to come on and help me to understand where I screwed up.

Ed,
    Another mistake I made was the green. Should have stayed with colors that have worked for me such as red, blue, black, or white. I tried the green because I wanted to be a little different some of my other planes.
    All good advice guys, keep it coming might help or others that have seen where I have failed.
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Willy, I used DuPont chroma base for my cowl, it is an automotive base/clear. I have to custom mix a lot of colors to match client logos and signs. I would be able to match most colors, but when you do for a living, you want your hobby to be easier. Some hardware stores can, can a custom color in an aerosol for you. Check with a hardware hank or ace. My local hardware hank offers that service.
    It may be worth a try.
    Ed
    Goldberg Tiger Club #25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the advice Ed,

I gave up on the green and yellow monocoat. I tried to improve the finish trying different techniques but could not help it. I ordered blue ultracoat and should have it by the end of the week. I'm going to rip that green stuff next weekend and start the recovering process for the upper areas. I've already cut Ultracoat stars out for a white starburst pattern. The lower trim on the fuse and bottom of the wing is already Ultracoat and had an excellent finish. All green will be replaced with deep blue Ultracoat. Maybe the blue will be easier to match than the tree was. Ultracoat may have had a paint to match but I coyote to check. I had ordered a supply of Ultracoat for a couple of small glow powered planes I plan to build. I also have a design and scratch build gas unit I'm drawing some plans out for and it will be Ultracoat. Sometime in the late winter or spring I'm going to try cloth on a Top Flight SR9 kit I have. No more Monocoat for this man. I learned my lesson.
    Bill

Page 66 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast