Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Old 10-18-2013, 05:53 PM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuselage sides are cut out for where the firewall will mount and there is indeed rt thrust put into the firewall. Make sure you get the rt side and left side in the right positions. Not sure about the down thrust line though. I mounted mine without anything different then the way the kit is built and it flys great.
Jeff
Old 10-19-2013, 04:40 AM
beepee

Build the kit according to the plans and tabs in the parts and you will have the thrust angle built in. Memory serves, it is about 2 deg right/2 deg down.

Have fun with it!

Bedford
Old 10-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Valius

Thanks for the clear explains!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:16 PM
corsaircrazy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wildcrashwilly.... I had the same problem with the ZDZ40RE.... Had it on a PC-21.... it was the most obnoxious engine to start the first time... I had to literally pressurize the gas tank with a syringe and crank it over with a electric starter. Once the fuel got to the carb... it ran great for the rest of the day. I finally got P.O. and sold the whole thing... never could find out what was going on.
Hope you get it figured out soon. I am planning on finishing up my SD later this year.. its all framed up, just wanted to put some scale interior touches in it.. and trying to figure out where to put things and keep them out of sight. Figured I would put the switch and charge under the pilot seat... with a hinge on the back and a RE magnet to hold it down. I am hoping I wont have to put the servos up front to balance. I have a Fuji Imvac 32B magneto motor I bought with it as a package deal from Tower. I hate flying tail heavy planes.... most of the time it doesn't end well.
When yours gets finally airborne, I will be curious to see where it balanced at.
Best of Luck!!
PS.... I must have built 4 or 5 Super Hots in the last 20 years.... fun little plane...
CorsairCrazy

Last edited by corsaircrazy; 11-20-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:37 PM
jjoos99

Corsair
I have a pte 35 in the front of my plane with the servos mounted as the plans. I had to add probably close to a lb of weight to my engine mount. I actually thought about moving my servos up front this winter so that I might be able to remove some of the weight. If I were building this again I would put the servos up front.
Jeff
Old 12-01-2013, 03:18 PM
maynardrupp

I just finished mine. My engine is a Saito 150 with a 16-8 APC prop. I need to add 19 oz. of weight to the engine mounting area. OUCH...Although I haven't weighed the finished plane yet, I sure am worried about the ability of the Saito 150 to pull this tank around the sky.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:17 PM
ScaleRCpilot
My Feedback: (1)

Hey maynardrupp, I have a Saito 180 on mine and it is plenty of motor , I feel like that 150 will be just fine. I have about 5 flights on mine and am now changing from an inverted motor to rolling out the Saito to Horizontal for easier starting and access to the glow plug. Good luck on the maidon flight -oh FYI - this plane does not need alot of surface deflection unless of coarse your going to do 3d and watch the landing gear it might try to spread if you slop it down too hard.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:52 PM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by maynardrupp
I just finished mine. My engine is a Saito 150 with a 16-8 APC prop. I need to add 19 oz. of weight to the engine mounting area. OUCH...Although I haven't weighed the finished plane yet, I sure am worried about the ability of the Saito 150 to pull this tank around the sky.
These planes build tail heavy and heavy overall.

What else can you expect from all that wood to the rear and the use of plywood as though it is the only building material available?

Mine was first poweredd with a Super Tigre 2500. That was replaced with a Super Tigre 3000. Either engine was sufficient for whatever the plane was capabnle of doing, which IMO was not much. Heavy and sluggish.

I've metioned that previously and all the apologists jump all over me every time, so I'm ready for it once more. However, it's simply a matter of how you prefer your planes to fly.

It needs to lose a minimum of a couple of pounds, especially in the tail and it needs a sufficiently strong landing gear to improve its agility and durability .

By carefully locating the RX battery and the servos, I was able to balance without the addition of any extra weight.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:41 AM
maynardrupp

I have modified my landing gear as suggested in one of these threads by mounting 3/16" wire under the existing aluminum gear. This wire passes through wheel collars that are bolted through the existing gear legs. It sure looks like a good mod...Time will tell. I do need to add 20 oz. of lead to the engine mount then it will be ready to maiden. Winter has come here so the maiden will need to wait until spring.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Valius

Hey Guys, what about Exhaust Muffler for DLE30 Pitts style? Does it fit under the cowl?
Old 12-20-2013, 05:33 AM
jjoos99

I am running a pte inverted with a pitts stye muffler without any issues. The bottom of the cowl is cut out quite a bit for the engine head which allows lots of room for the muffler stacks to come through.
Jeff
Old 02-22-2014, 01:39 AM
Valius

That's mine! Slowly grows up;-)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5531.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	1971049  
Old 02-23-2014, 08:43 PM
ScaleRCpilot

Nice Start Valius! I wish I had built my plane with a bolt-on to rib (like yours) as opposed to the engineering Dyna-Flite put forth.
I want to build another Dyna-Flite Decathlon with that wing side bolt-on and put it on a diet and make the plane lighter.
Also would like to put a 1/2 degree of dihedrel in the wings, mine look almost like they have negitive - they are almost droopy.
Kind of sad looking! Lol! check it out in my gallery. Good Luck with it!
Old 03-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Valius

Originally Posted by ScaleRCpilot
Nice Start Valius! I wish I had built my plane with a bolt-on to rib (like yours) as opposed to the engineering Dyna-Flite put forth.
I want to build another Dyna-Flite Decathlon with that wing side bolt-on and put it on a diet and make the plane lighter.
Also would like to put a 1/2 degree of dihedrel in the wings, mine look almost like they have negitive - they are almost droopy.
Kind of sad looking! Lol! check it out in my gallery. Good Luck with it!
Thanks for regards! What you mean: dihedrel in the wings have negative? The wing incidence? If so, than It should be minus 2 degree by the drawings manuals. What it should be more or less in your opinion???
Old 03-04-2014, 08:26 PM
ScaleRCpilot

Valius I am refering to the angle each wing has to the other wing. Check out the picture of the full scale Decathlon.

As you can see each wing is at a slight angle away from the fuselage. Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Name:	20130407-190432resize.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1975068  
Old 03-05-2014, 12:06 AM
beepee

Memory serves - the wings are built with zero dihedral. The built-in washout results in the leading edges appearing to droop. I agree that adding a small amount of dihedral would give a better appearance without changing the flight characteristics.

Bedford
Old 03-05-2014, 06:40 AM
dabrown

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The full scale SD has 1 degree dihedral. I included it in mine and it definitely helps eliminate the drooping wing syndrome...

Dave

Name:	Decath 016.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	921.9 KB
ID:	1975173  
Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 PM
ScaleRCpilot

Thats whats missing in mine Dave. Check out these pictures of full scale vs. my plane.
VS Now thats sad! I'v got to change that! Lol!

Name:	Champion_8kcab_super_decathlon_g-ezpz_arpresized.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1975490   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0126resia.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	1975491  
Old 03-13-2014, 03:26 PM
funnotcrazy

How do you go about fitting windshield/canopy? I am afraid to start cutting on mine. Also need to make it removable due to my mods. I refuse to add lead or any other dead ballast to my planes and read how this kit comes out tail heavy. I have three levels (each accessible removing buttonhead screws) under the windshield/turtledeck up front. Upper level for battery packs - one for receiver, one for nav light system, one for on board glow. Second level is fuel tank floor, bottom level is throttle servo & servo for conceaeled parachute drop. All other servos are just behind first bulkhead at windshield.

SO... How did you get a good fit on that windshield/canopy
Old 03-13-2014, 08:01 PM
ScaleRCpilot

funnotcrazy....The windshield was test fit and small areas removed until the perfect fit was reached. The windshield was glued and screwed. The glue used was RC56 which dries clear. The small panhead screws were added to the sides of the fuse. Later Monocote was added across and over the windshield sides and across the lower front.

If you can remove some of the wood in the form of lighting holes in the fuse top or bottom it might help - don't over do it.
Good Luck! SRCP
Old 03-14-2014, 09:12 AM
funnotcrazy

Hey ScaleRCpilot - Test fit & remove small areas until a good fit - arrghh that's what I was afraid of. You have Saito 1.80 on yours, so do I. What prop/fuel do you use? I got mine gently used from a friend about 10 yrs ago, have not fired it up but kept it oiled. I am just a bit north of Houston, fly out of pasture in front of my house. Where do you fly?
Old 03-14-2014, 02:29 PM
ScaleRCpilot

funnotcrazy....I live in Highlands, TX and am a member of http://www.propnuts.com/ Club we fly off a grass runway over a grass farm. Propnuts is and may be one of the oldest R/C clubs in Houston. I have a 16/6 (not sure on the pitch due to the spinner) Master Airscrew K-Series and I have been using Omega 10% but may have to switch to Ritches Brew soon. My source ( Odessy Hobbies) for Omega dried up and the local Hobby shop (Razor) carries RBrew. It should run fine I'v used RB 10% before and had no problems but everyone has thier favorite.

I built it back in 08 and it has been a work in progress. It has about 5 flights on it and I am not real excited about the planes flying performance. So I am making adjustments and changing things - I used to have a Sullivan on board glow plug lighter but found the Saito 180 to idol just fine without it- so I removed it and the battery. I am going to change the 2.3 G radio to duel recievers for safety.

And I'v got to change that dihedrel in that wing! Come on out to the April swap meet!
Question : Is your Saito 180 mounted inverted (with the engine upside down) ?
Old 03-14-2014, 02:43 PM
ScaleRCpilot

Here is a picture of the windshield with the Mono-cote over it.... And here is a picture of the new horizontal Saito 180 with adaptor plate and some of the pan head screws on the side of the windshield. Just take your time and make it fit well.

Name:	plate2.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1978033   Click image for larger version

Name:	plate4.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1978034  
Old 03-15-2014, 11:31 AM
funnotcrazy

Hey thanks for the pics, have not cut any on windshield, those will help. Have you tried larger diameter prop? Have been reading some guys use up to 18/6 prop with Saito 180. Yes mine is inverted, I have an old on board glow but have not fired up engine yet. You did not like it inverted?

I see you want to add dihedral to the wing. Have to go back & check but the wing is 0 degrees at root & 2 degrees positive at tip (something like that, I have to check manual) and stab is negative 2 degrees. I don't have incidence meter, but am going to find someone who does. Will take it to them & have it checked before I go much further on build. The stab is not yet glued on (just held with some very small screws) for that reason. Did you check incidences on wing & stab ?

What is it you don't like about the handling of the plane?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:17 PM
ScaleRCpilot

funnotcrazy....I have not tried any larger props yet. I may in the future. When I had the Saito inverted I had to clean out the glow plug before the first flight and remove the oil in it. (a real pain when the cowling was on) Also it seemed very rich and would sometimes cause hydrolic lock on the valves. The reason I mounted it Inverted was to save on the looks of the plane - but like they say "beauty follows function " lol!

Flight Handling......First few flights were very sluggish at best. It flew "ok" but I have had better flying planes. Manuvers were slow and this could be to the fact that I am still working on the control deflections and aileron differentals. And also the no dihedrel in the wings. (NOTE...I failed to tell you I also had a very large fuel cell (20oz) in the plane) antisapating the Saito to be a gas hog on fuel but it turned out to be a sipper) I think that fuel weight was part of the problem - it has been since removed and replaced with a 16oz tank. The landings were heavy and I spread the LG a few times. I can land smoothly most of the time- I said "most" of the time! Lol!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.