Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 05:01 PM
yanickr1973

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

These are the props recommended for the surpass FS-200 as per O.S. engines web site:

15x12-14, 16x12-14, 17x10-13, 18x6-10, 17x12-13, 18x8-12, 20x8

....so I guess this will be my engine !
Old 10-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Grotesquebass
My Feedback: (16)

sorry its been a while guys heres my progress
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76539.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	782831  
Old 10-22-2007, 09:52 PM
cruzmissile

Hey Hipshot, don't try to put a smoke line to that, all you'll get is a bunch on pressure in your oil tank. That is pressure release. The same in a Saito engine. When you hookup smoke lines, they inject right into the muffler canister or manifold pipe going to the muffler.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:56 PM
cruzmissile

By the way guys, I'm back from Iraq and as soon as I get moved into my new house I'll try to finish what I started. When I started this thread I had hopes of finishing that year or the year afterward but things don't always go as plan. Like military obligations. Anyway I've since been really hooked on heli's but planes are still my first love.

Name:	Qn38165.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	788435  
Old 10-23-2007, 11:47 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Welcome back!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:32 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cruz: I am also glad you are back. Getting moved into a new house is sometimes quite time consuming. Let us know how you are doing from time to time. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 12-16-2007, 02:31 PM
cruzmissile

yep, moving my stuff took a few days but I've been busy doing some remodeling, like taking out the old green carpet and putting in hardwood. That's time consuming. I also did some wall reconstruction, I put an 80" bar window between the kitchen and the living room, but enough of that. When I was moving my plane around and my desk fell onto my wing crushing the wingstuts and tearing the mounting block off the rib so there's a setback that needs to be addressed. The wing itself is not damaged, the struts pretty much kept the desk off the soft balsa. So thats about all thats' been going on. Well you all have a wonderful Christmas holiday.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:00 PM
FLPilot
My Feedback: (23)

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the cowl supplied with the stock kit?

Thanks in advance,

Dr
Old 04-08-2008, 11:28 AM
RemoteJets

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

My Super Decathlon is almost finished again after a big overhaul.

Only thing needs to be done is making the new ordered cowling to fit.

Here my Super Decathlon page:
[link=http://www.***************/berto/decathlon/decathlon.htm]BosModelAir Super Decathlon[/link]
Old 07-08-2008, 10:12 PM
cruzmissile

bosmodelair, your web link isn't working? Would like to check out your plane!!
Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 AM
RemoteJets

Please try again, from here it`s working just fine.

Grtz,
Berto.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:41 PM
szig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Berto

Nice bird, congratz[X(]
Old 07-10-2008, 03:23 AM
RemoteJets

Thanxs for the compliments.

I also can convert this plane in 15 minutes to a floatplane:
[link=http://www.***************/berto/drijversdecathlon/drijversdecathlon.htm]Super Decathlon on floats[/link]

And some pictures:

More pictures of this floatmeeting here:
[link=http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/watervliegen/57506-fotos-watervliegmeeting-zevenhuizenplas.html?highlight=zevenhuizerplas]Water fly-in in the Netherlands[/link]
Old 08-02-2008, 07:04 PM
antiquefer

Hello. I have one of these Dynsflight SDs ready for covering. Will use stits light and paint. Has anyone covered this bird with it? How does one of these fly @ 18lbs? With a SPE 40 I am sure I will be at about this weight. Where is a good place to shave some weight on the framework. It looks like I could remove some wood here and there on the fuse. Dont want to weaken to much though. What has anyone else done?..........................antiquefer.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:32 PM
n0irw
My Feedback: (1)

I hope there are some folks still around.......my Dynaflite SD will be here next week......It is an early Christmas present.....I stumbled across one for sale NIB for a great price, so the lady of the house told me to go ahead and get it. I told her there would still be plenty of stuff for it she could get me for Christmas. I am planning on covering with Koverall and painting with Sig dope. I've got a brand new Saito 150 for power and I'm going to use the new JR 4 Rcvr 9 channel high power unit with a 2.4 X9303 for control. I noticed the comments about adding the music wire to the gear, but i guess i missed the discussion as to how that was done.....could someone direct me to that post?? Thanks in advance for all the knowledge on the project. I've been in the hobby since 1971, so this isn't my first construction project.

Kevin O'Dell
Old 09-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Richardrc

ORIGINAL: antiquefer

Hello. I have one of these Dynsflight SDs ready for covering. Will use stits light and paint. Has anyone covered this bird with it? How does one of these fly @ 18lbs? With a SPE 40 I am sure I will be at about this weight. Where is a good place to shave some weight on the framework. It looks like I could remove some wood here and there on the fuse. Dont want to weaken to much though. What has anyone else done?..........................antiquefer.
Mine weighs 19 lbs. with a G38 and flies just fine.

Name:	Lj21442.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1041154  
Old 09-27-2008, 02:01 PM
cooper998

My Super Decathlon has been flying for a couple of months now and the more I fly the more I like it. Originally built for aerotowing I occasionally fly it just for fun. Mine is an "E" conversion powered with an AXI 5330/18 motor running on 10 5000mah cells spinning an 18x10 prop. All up weight with batteries is 13lbs. Photo below was taken by Steve P. at our clubs aerotow event this past August.

Cooper998

Name:	Yw67392.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1041790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11383.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1041791  
Old 09-27-2008, 09:38 PM
P40 Maniac
My Feedback: (15)

I have one to build this winter with a G-38 for it.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:04 AM
n0irw
My Feedback: (1)

My SD arrived late Tuesday evening.....after making a couple of copies of the plans, (that way I keep the originals pristene), I got started Wednesday evening and so far have the vertical, rudder, horizontal and elevators framed up......I'll start on the first wing panel Saturday afternoon. So far, everything is going smoothly. I have a newer model GP engine mount that won't have the engine sitting so far out on the mount rails. I'm using a Saito 150 for power. I ordered the Fiberglass Specialties cowl and wheel pants. ( I really hate ABS). I am also using a CB Associates leaf spring tail wheel assembly...you can still get them from K&B.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:12 PM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't believe it's already 5 years and a month since I started mine and still not finished!

The main reason was all the snags with the kit and inaccuracies with the plans, screwball instruction sequence, poor grade materials, missing materials and so on. I got fatigued several times and just pushed it aside to take a breather. [&o]

My suggestion is that you read each step of construction for each component several times since you may want to alter the building sequence to make several steps easier to do (the landing gear mount is a perfect example of this) and check all parts sizes to plans and the instruction book. I found that many times I had three sets of numbers doing this. For instance, the location for the top rear stringers is different on the plans and in the book. The bulkheads which are to be constructed on the plan were a different size there from what is shown in the side and top views on the plan. The wing tube socket is shown in contact with the shear webs in the wing. This does not happen in real life, as their is a roughly 1/32" gap to be filled in the outboard ends of the socket. The first shear webs are 1/8" ply. Those furterh out are 3/32" balsa. If you look at the plan, you will see that the solution is to just draw a thicker line by those thinner shear webs to make it look as though the fir is propper. So what if it doesn't fit? It's not the only part like that. There is now way in the world that the filler blocks on the wing leading edge at the cabin are 3/8" thick. My wings fit exactly the plans, as does my fuselage width. It was more like 1/8". Good thing I keep lots of extra wood in many different sizes on hand.

The fuselage lite ply side pieces were a very poor fit. The tabs and notches all had to be recut so that things would fit. Oh, and then the resulting gaps had to be filled too. [&o]

I found that in many cases there was a shortage of strip wood. No, I did not mis cut. When you add up all the lenghts required and come up about 12 or more inches more of what you get when you add up the lengths of all the pieces supplied, before cutting, that figures to a shortage.

You will also find that the cross section drawing of the aileron is not correct. That is not how it is built. The rear face of your aileron leading edge will not be parallel to the wing chord line but canted forward at the top, since the aileron is built flat on your work table with the rear leading edge parallel to your table top. Picky, I know. Not that it matters in the end, this is just another example of crappy workmanship. Ah, who cares? The customer will figure it out, right?

To build this plane well, if it's anything like my kit, you'll be doing a lot of filling and shimming of gaps for a good fit.

One side window plastic was missing from the kit. There is virtually no hardware included - certainly not anything very useable. I never even opened the bag. I just laughed and tossed it. No pushrods. No clevises. No control horns. No axles. No wheel collars. No throttle connection. No hinges. No nothing.

That excuse for a tailwheel is a problem waiting to happen. Several people report having installed it, much to their chagrin. Same thing if you use those chintzy wood screws and plastic fittings to hold on the wing struts - you'll wish you changed that after a few times putting them on and off. I've installed aluminum strut ends which connect to the fuse and wings with 6-32 socket head cap srews into thread inserts in the wings and to strut attach plates mounted to the fuse.

That reminds me. There is an opening from the location at which each strut attaches to the fuse and the interior of the plane through the sub floor. Since mine is intended to be a seaplane, that is not a good idea. It must be sealed off.

The best part though was the so-so plastic cowling. The parts did not fit very well but that was no problem as I always cover those junky ABS things with fiberglass cloth and finishing resin on the outside. Works great and they look much better.

Virutally everyone has been critical of the landing gear, saying that it is too weak. Taking that as good advice, I've already strengthened it in advance by running another strip of the same width aluminum up one leg, along the top and down the other leg, This is bolted together like a sandwich. We'll see if it holds.

Covered it with Coverite, which is not the same animal since the Evil Empire took it over. I would have preferred my usual Koverall. Too late now. The paint is already going on and the last masking is just about complete for the final color. Might have it ready to fly in another year or so. It's a major pain in the ***** masking off all those stars!

Hope this thing flys as well as people claim, given what it's taken to get this far. I don't expect anything like my CAP 232, but better than my 1/4 size clipped wing Cub would be nice.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:18 PM
rsad

Bosmodelair,

Which kit or plan is your Super Decathlon from? It seems a lot more scale than the Dynaflite.........which requires many mods to get looking scale.

Thanks,
rsad
Old 10-10-2008, 09:18 PM
hy flyr
My Feedback: (27)

I didn't have any problems building my Decathalon. Pretty much per plans and it went smooth. I didn't use the kit tw and I ordered fiberglass spec. cowl and wheelpants.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:39 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: hy flyr

I didn't have any problems building my Decathalon. Pretty much per plans and it went smooth.
Had I just bashed mine together as it came, as any neophyte or hap hazzard builder would do, I'd say the same thing. However, that is not the case. All of my builds have no gaps at any of the joints. Everything is filled with wood, trimmed, shimmed or adjusted for a perfect fit as required. There is glue only between parts where they make contact with each other - no blobs and no useless fillets which add only weight and no strength.

A perfect example of the screwball instruction sequence concerns the landing gear wood mounting plate installation. The instructions have you build the formers and lower fuselage below the flat floor prior to installing this plate. Why not do it prior to this so that you can clamp it in place and ensure a proper, perfect fit in total contact with the floor? It will pay off in the long run to do a superior installation.

Given the amount of extra work this kit took to make all that happen as a result of the level of production standard, it was a very long, tedious process which went well beyond the satisfaction generated by a plane well built. The ultimate payoff though is that my models last for many years without any maintenace to the airframes. They never pop apart on landing as so many BARFs do.

Overall I would rate it is as the typical mass market, low grade product which I have experienced from Great Planes. If it were of a higher calibre, undoubtedly it would also cost considerably more and that would put it into a different market segment with many fewer potential sales. And that's not where GP is positioned. This is like a Yugo compared to a... well, just about anything other autmobile which is upmarket. As long as you are aware of that and find that acceptable, no problem. You'll be in hog heaven.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:31 AM
RemoteJets

@ rsad,

it`s not a kit it`s a ARF from Modell Expert: http://shop.lindinger.at/product_inf...ducts_id=56562 (I see that Lindinger even uses my photo`s and video`s ).

I bought the plane second hand 2 years ago in 2006, completly overhauld and modify it beginning this year till what it is now.
The plane is also suitable for waterflying, the conversion will take about 15 minutes.

Here the pictures of my S. Decathlon: http://www.***************/berto/decathlon/decathlon.htm
And the floats: http://www.***************/berto/drij...sdecathlon.htm
Old 10-11-2008, 05:12 PM
hy flyr
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: do335a

ORIGINAL: hy flyr

I didn't have any problems building my Decathalon. Pretty much per plans and it went smooth.
Had I just bashed mine together as it came, as any neophyte or hap hazzard builder would do, I'd say the same thing. However, that is not the case. All of my builds have no gaps at any of the joints. Everything is filled with wood, trimmed, shimmed or adjusted for a perfect fit as required. There is glue only between parts where they make contact with each other - no blobs and no useless fillets which add only weight and no strength.

A perfect example of the screwball instruction sequence concerns the landing gear wood mounting plate installation. The instructions have you build the formers and lower fuselage below the flat floor prior to installing this plate. Why not do it prior to this so that you can clamp it in place and ensure a proper, perfect fit in total contact with the floor? It will pay off in the long run to do a superior installation.

Given the amount of extra work this kit took to make all that happen as a result of the level of production standard, it was a very long, tedious process which went well beyond the satisfaction generated by a plane well built. The ultimate payoff though is that my models last for many years without any maintenace to the airframes. They never pop apart on landing as so many BARFs do.

Overall I would rate it is as the typical mass market, low grade product which I have experienced from Great Planes. If it were of a higher calibre, undoubtedly it would also cost considerably more and that would put it into a different market segment with many fewer potential sales. And that's not where GP is positioned. This is like a Yugo compared to a... well, just about anything other autmobile which is upmarket. As long as you are aware of that and find that acceptable, no problem. You'll be in hog heaven.
Just because your a retard and can't build doesn't apply to everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.