Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Old 10-27-2004, 07:42 PM
cruzmissile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Greetings, "I've waited all summer and it's finally here...

Autum"...

Winter is just around the corner for me and I've got my heart set on building my first gasoline airplane. It's the Dynaflite Super Decathlon. I found it while looking on Tower hobbies a while back and saw that it was fairly inexpensive for a model of that size, so I'm going to take the opertunity to build it as my first gasser since the cost will fit my budget. I'm going to start building in November when I get some money, and I'll be posting building updates, photos, and tips on building this aircraft. I've searched through RCU to see if anyone else has done a building thread on this aircraft and found no such matches. If you feel this would be appropriate let me know, or if you think it'll be a waste of thread space then surely let me know that as well. Like I said, I won't be building until after the first week of November, so I'm doing some research on what I need for this aircraft and such. Let me know what you think and thanks for taking the time to read my thread.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:53 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Building a Dynaflite Super Decathlon

Sure thing. Sounds like a great thread. Please include photo's and descriptions of any problems encountered as well as the solutions. Make it as detailed as possible, as I have the kit on my shelf and would just love to know about any problems befor I get started. Good Luck and keep us posted, Thanks Dave
Old 10-27-2004, 10:55 PM
flyathome
My Feedback: (7)

I have a kit on the shelf as well and would be very interested in how your build goes.

Steve
Old 10-27-2004, 11:10 PM
swooper

Low price=box-o'-sticks
Have fun with the Citabria, my 1st gasser is on the board, Sig 1/3 Spacewalker!
Don't you love building season?
Old 10-28-2004, 07:37 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

cruzmissile, I am about 50% into building mine. Your build along thread is a good idea. There is another thread on this kit about 16 threads down from yours, it may be helpful.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:38 AM
cruzmissile

Thanks guys. I've got the kit, some glue, and other small accessories in my Tower shopping cart, now all I need is my next paycheck. I'll see you all in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:03 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cruzmissile,

One of the first things I'd start thinking about is if there are ways to include the skylight window on top of the cabin.
I see Dynaflite have left it out - probably for simplicity of build.

The SD is a beautiful plane and it would be a shame not to include such obvious scale items.

I had been planning to build one and bolt in my G38 engine but ended up with an 81" Pepsi Chipmunk instead. (not eactly the same type of a plane)

Instead, I have a partly finished 33% SD from Wendell Hostetler plans on the board and am working on it in between being sidetracked by other projects (Pepsi Chipmunk - Curare 60)

Good luck with the build.

Ari
Old 10-28-2004, 02:40 PM
DamonTX

CRUZ....Please do. I've been thinking about that plane for a long time. I once did the Midwest Citabria and always regretted not doing the Dynaflite instead. Make sure to keep us filled in with lots o' pics when you get started.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:42 PM
cruzmissile

With the way the wing mid section is constructed, I believe it would be petty difficult putting in the skylight since the main aluminum spar is positioned right in the middle of it all. I would just have to wait and see when the time comes in that phase of the construction. My dad is an aircraft mechanic at the local private airport and I believe he told me that there is a Decathlon in one of the hangers so I might take a little trip to see him to get some good reference photos to add some scale detailing. I'm pretty excitied about this build, I have a GP Extra 300S .60 that's still on my dresser without an engine and I've decided to spend my money on this kit instead of getting an engine because I figure I won't be flying too much and building would take up some useful time during my day. I'm a college student and my classes end after 12:30am every day so my days are reallly, really long.

apalsson,
I've already made plans to use a G-38 for my powerplant, I'm going to eventually invest in some Duralite batteries with redundant batteries. I've checked out the price for the Fromeco batteries and the price difference is quite a bit for the setup that I want. Duralite came out almost $100 cheaper. I'm still researching for the servos that I'm going to use, one servo I saw from Futaba said "ONLY USE WITH NICAD BATTERIES" what a bummer.... anyways I've got some more Ideas about what I'm going to put in the plane like pull-pull, heavy duty ball linkages and such. Anyways, hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:36 AM
beepee

The skylite is possible and easy/difficult depending on your kit bashing willingness (abilities). I have built the Dynaflight SD, but did not make the change (a bit sorry now). I have an L4 with it, though. You would need to change the wing and fuselage so that the wing halfs butt into the fuselage with smaller tubes/sockets, and redesign the struts so that they are fully functional.

With a bit of careful design, you might save some weight.

Have fun with it, either way. You sure will enjoy the flying!

Bedford
Old 10-29-2004, 06:39 AM
scott14

It's going to be nearly impossible to have a skylight in the Dynaflite because of the wing connect alum. tube.

I'm going to recess the wing sheeting in the area where the skylite would be, and install a VERY dark tinted piece of plastic.

This will give the appearance of a skylite from a few feet away, and the tint should hide the fact that it's just a false skylite.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:33 PM
cruzmissile

I plan on getting some scale aerodynamic aluminum wing strut from K&S. Also, I might build two wing braces out of hard basswood that will fit into built up wooden sleeve sockets. Similar to the way the 33% Decathlon is designed by Hostetler plans. and if not, I'll just have to op with a smaller wing tube. I'll just have to research more on how to construct the wing halves together.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:26 PM
cruzmissile

I've made the order today and they're shipping it to me from Reno Nevada's distributing center. They said it'll be here in about a week and a half. I can't wait, I'm so excited. I also made a pretty good find on Ebay on a digital 6" caliper. I got it for only $12.99 brand new, which I believe is an awesome deal. That thing will be a huge asset to me in my building career. I'm going to visit my dad sometime soon to borrow his digital camera so that I can make those historic photos of my building progress. See you all in a few weeks.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:34 AM
beepee

cruz,

Use that nifty caliper to check the former widths. The plan view on mine was different than the detail construction view for those just aft of the wing. I used the plan view (slightly narrower).

BP
Old 11-08-2004, 07:54 PM
cruzmissile

beepee,

Yeah, sure thing. I'll check the formers against the construction view. I think someone pointed that problem out in a different thread about the difference in views to the actual size. I've been thinking long and hard about how I'm going to utilize a two spar technique to attach the wings to the center section of the fuselage. This will allow me to include the sky light in this aircraft. I've looked on a thread dealing with the constuction of the 33% decathlon by Hostetler plans, and I think the building technique can be transfered to this plane with a bit of "backyard" engineering. I went to Lowes and saw some cool tools that would be vital in my future builds. Some tools I saw was a small table saw, scroll saw, plainer, drill press, and much more. I've only got so much money to spend so those will be put on hold until I can finish college and get a place of my own. Anyways, still waiting for my plane, I've been tracking the shipment on-line and it went from Nevada to Sacramento CA?... Hopefully the shipment will be flown to Atlanta Ga. Anyways, hope eveyone has a wonderful day.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:32 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cruz,

The Hostetler SD is a good example of what you want to do. Be aware though that that plane is "standoff scale" only but the wing attachment method is a good solid one.
I'll post a photo of mine here if it helps.

Ari
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77604.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	191579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81393.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	191580  
Old 11-09-2004, 06:03 PM
cruzmissile

Yeah, the photos would be great. I am going to plan on constructing it around that idea.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:46 AM
cruzmissile

Finally, it's here. I came home from school today to find two boxes waiting for me in the front lobby of my dorm building. The big box is of course the airplane and the second box contained the drill press attachment for the dremel tool. It's a niffy little thing, all I do is attach my dremel tool to it and it's instantly a drill press that's light weight and under $30. Anyway, I completed the horizontal stabilizer and i'm not going to be able to work on it again till Monday because I'm going to visit my parents this weekend. I'll be able to post photos when I borrow his camera after this weekend's visit. I'm going to tell them to get me a digital camera for christmas. Anyways, I've started what I said I was going to do, hopefully it'll be a great journey ahead. See you all on Monday, and also, Happy Veterans Day to all you Veterans out there and Happy Veterans Day to my dad. 20 some odd years in the Navy.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:32 AM
cruzmissile

does anyone know where I can buy a good set of stabilizer brace, or fliying wire brace? If possible, I might just make my own out of 4-40 wire, or steel music wire and fabricate my own anchors. Anyways, any suggestions would be great.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:49 AM
cruzmissile

Welcome back everyone,

My weekend with my parents was pretty exciting, I haven't seen then in a while since I'm away at school and they live 2 hours from me. My girlfriend went camping with me as well. How often do you find a girl that loves to do everything you do?

Name:	Jo39503.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	193102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84886.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	193103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35524.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	193104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79465.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	193105  
Old 11-15-2004, 09:57 AM
cruzmissile

I did some work last night and I completed the entire horizontal stabilizer. Getting the T-pins in the exact place to create the laminated 1/16 X 3/8 strips was not too bad. did however have my fingers glued to it several times while I was holding it down. The construction of the Horizontal stabilizer is straight forward and pretty easy. Before I glued the trailing edge of the stabilizer and the leading edge of the elevator, I pre cut slots for the dubro hinges I'm using. It's easier to work with than handling the whole stabilizer itself.

Name:	Ig13551.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	193106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24346.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	193107   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26794.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	193108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28977.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	193109  
Old 11-15-2004, 10:03 AM
cruzmissile

Here's the photo of my work area that I have set up in a corner in my apartment. The dimensions are 70in. long, 30in wide, 30in high. I built it with the help of my dad back in October.

Name:	Xv65484.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	193111  
Old 11-15-2004, 10:07 AM
cruzmissile

To respond to my own question about the fyling wire braces and such, I took some photos of original hardware from one of the decats that was in the hanger at my dad's work. It's really quiet simple how it's constructed and some of the pieces of excess hardware I have will be used to construct them. Here's some photos. Sorry the photos are kind of fuzzy, It was somewhat dark in the hanger and the focus wasn't able to function as well.

Name:	Lj21582.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	193117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65836.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	193118  
Old 11-15-2004, 03:40 PM
cruzmissile

did some more work today on the rudder and I've got the firewall clamped and glued with 30min epoxy. Here are some of the photos.

Since the wing is going to be constructed a little different to allow for a sky light, i'm going to construct the wing last. The next thing I'm going to do is build the fuselage. I also might do some sanding to the empianage later.

Name:	Rp44550.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	193213   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44676.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	193214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19659.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	193215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48302.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	193216  
Old 11-15-2004, 07:19 PM
cruzmissile

I was looking through some threads here and saw where someone had stated that the engine thrust angles in this plane was too much? Anybody have something else to say about that or were they the only one that experienced this. Also, i read by adding lightened holes in the fuselage sides, formers and belly pan, it'll help reduce the weight. I'll have to look at the plans and see where I cut some holes into it and still maintain the integrity of the airframe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.