Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

im stuck..

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

im stuck..

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 10:31 PM
aerobatixkid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default im stuck..

Hi guys

I'm stuck on my extra 300 kit I dont know what to do here anyone wana help me? I have MSN just PM me if you can help I got some newbie questions on finishing the plane.. its almost all covered now...
Old 11-06-2004, 10:57 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: im stuck..

ORIGINAL: gp300

Hi guys

I'm stuck on my extra 300 kit I dont know what to do here anyone wana help me? I have MSN just PM me if you can help I got some newbie questions on finishing the plane.. its almost all covered now...

Might help if you tell us where you're stuck. If it's almost covered, sounds like you're about done, but there's a lot of help out here to be had. Dang, you'll have to beat us off with a stick.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:26 PM
aerobatixkid

holy crap man i dont know what im doing i got this almost done but i just finisshed beveling the aielerons to what it think will work but i now have to figure out how im gonna cut the slot for the control rod on the aielerons, and do i have to bevel the edge of the rudder?
Old 11-07-2004, 01:18 AM
apalsson

Just glue it in mate ... just glue it in ......
Old 11-07-2004, 10:03 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you using torque rods for ailerons or servos in the wings? What type of control horn are you using? If you need to glue a block in just cut the material out at the back edge of the bevel for the block thickness and glue it in. If it is proud of the bevel point sand to match aileron taper.

And yes you have to bevel the rudder leading edge. IF you are looking for extreme throws bevel the vertical trailing edge also..

Good luck with her and you be fine..
Old 11-07-2004, 06:16 PM
aerobatixkid

torque rods..i dont want that much throw because i got the crap scared out of me today when i had 90 degree elevator throw on my cousins Superstar and i could barely countrol it... dont need throw... im no 3d guy..
Old 11-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Fubar-One

Use a piece of brass tubing (or better yet get one of those nifty tools from Great Planes) to cut the recess for the part of the torque rod that runs along between the trailing edge and the aileron. Mark with pencil, where the torque rod will be inserted into the aileron. Drill into the aileron with a bit just slightly bigger than the diameter of the torque rod being carefull to keep the hold at a right angle to the aileron and centered between the top and bottom of the aileron. Drill it only deep enough to fit the rod. You do not want to drill out thru the surface of the aileron.
You will want as much throw as you can get with the ailerons. I know you said you aint a 3D guy, but you can always reduce the throws with the servo horns, control horns and, if you have one, the ATV feature of your radio.
It is better to have the option of large throws available than to restrict yourself right off the bat and find you cannot increase the throws later. TRUST ME.
Move the pushrods in on the servo horns, throw is reduced.
Move the pushrods out on the control horns, throw is reduced.
As you gain experience and confidence, move em out on the servos and in on the control horns to increase the throws.
Unless I miss my guess, an Extra 300 IS a 3D plane, is it not? Dont neuter it!
Old 11-08-2004, 05:07 PM
leftnut

i just use a drill bit by hand. I slot it before I bevel.
I sometimes also drill the holes by hand. So i don't drill thru at a wrong angle.lol
It takes a little bit longer but better than messing up.
I put the ailerons under the rod and trace ot out line the rod.

also be aware. if you're good at drilling the angle of the holes on each ailerons
might be the same.... I test fit them . I bend those S rods accordlying
before gluing. This way the thread part is pionted straight up on both
of them when the ailerons are in neatrual possition. This way I can maximize
the throw or don't have problems when installing the servo to try to get
things in a 90/90. Or one side dosen't bottom out when the servo pull.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

gp300 BTW 90 degrees of throw on any plane will scare the crap out of you. That is a little much. That kind of throw is more like an airbrake! Shoot for somewhere around 45 degrees of throw. As a general rule you will want more throw on the rudder than on the elevator.