Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Fokker DRI Build Along

Really nice looking work, and I love the suspension mod.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice build Summerwind! I know that you are all set up with the 23cc Zenoah but for you guys building this kit who live at higher altitudes you might want to consider the Zenoah 45. I'm in Calgary Alberta at 3200' ASL. I built my Balsa USA DR1 with the 45 in mind and the only modifications were to strengthen the firewall a bit and to pin and guset each of the joints in the fuse. Besides the benefit of additional power when you need it, the motor provides the nose weight that you need to balance the plane ie. no dead weight! I have 40 or so flights on mine and I really enjoy getting it out to the field on a calm day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kh17383.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	1625608  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice work Summerwind. I like alot of your mods, especially the GTM Cowl.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Leadtrumpet

Very nice build Summerwind! I know that you are all set up with the 23cc Zenoah but for you guys building this kit who live at higher altitudes you might want to consider the Zenoah 45. I'm in Calgary Alberta at 3200' ASL. I built my Balsa USA DR1 with the 45 in mind and the only modifications were to strengthen the firewall a bit and to pin and guset each of the joints in the fuse. Besides the benefit of additional power when you need it, the motor provides the nose weight that you need to balance the plane ie. no dead weight! I have 40 or so flights on mine and I really enjoy getting it out to the field on a calm day!
    Beautiful!!! that's exactly how my wife wanted me to do mine too, and since it will get hung in our family room during it's offtime, who am i to argue right?

i am using the DLE 30.......i went for this engine because i wanted to swing more than an 18" prop.
    looks like i am going to be around 15+ lbs for finish though.
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thx for the replies guys......i should note though that my mods are a compilation of all the mods you all posted.
    this has been an excellent thread ever since chevelle started it.
    the only thing i have left to do is setup the pull pull system for the rudder and elevator.
    i'll post some pictures of that too....................
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very very nice construction.. what glue are you using? Im hoping this will be my winter project.
    Mike -
    I was born a pilot... 100 years to late.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: summerwind

Beautiful!!! that's exactly how my wife wanted me to do mine too, and since it will get hung in our family room during it's offtime, who am i to argue right?

i am using the DLE 30.......i went for this engine because i wanted to swing more than an 18'' prop.
    The problem with using a light engine like the DL30 is that most of the 15 pounds you are dealing with is behind the CG! Make sure to put everything as far forward as possible and be prepared to add some lead on the firewall! I was reading back a few pages about the climbing and trim issue and this is what I did: I put in a progressive throttle to elevator mix so that at low throttle/idle there is no down trim and as the throttle goes up the elevator goes down! I would have to check the mix values but 3-4% at full throttle sounds about right. Works well and I don't have to retrim during the flight.

Name:	Om33073.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	1627265  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i am using the DLE 30.......i went for this engine because i wanted to swing more than an 18'' prop.

i thought the DLE was going to be a problem too, but with the added ply in the firewall area, the suspension LG, and the tray above the engine for batteries and ignition, i was suprised to find this thing is balancing nose heavy at this time and that is without the batteries or any other gear loaded. with the batteries loaded in, the thing is really nose heavy.
    i like your idea about using the throttle mix and may do that if needed. what i did from reading early on and with the suggestion by Deljon, i built in some positive incidence in the stab like the real DR1 uses.....................for those that are thinking or planning to build one though, check the plans thoroughly as there is actually negative incidence in the stab, and also check the wing plans as they are bigger on the right side spanwise.
    i also found that the wing spacing between all three wings on the plans is off, leaving the upper wing to sit lower in relation to the other wings.

BTW, what did your DR1 end up weighing?
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KitBuilder

Very very nice construction.. what glue are you using? Im hoping this will be my winter project.
    whatever is in the glue pot

nah seriously, i use Zap thin, medium and thick along with titebond (the regular stuff that holds) and 30 minute epoxy.
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok.. b/c the glue joints look very nice.. clean.
    Mike -
    I was born a pilot... 100 years to late.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i thought the DLE was going to be a problem too, but with the added ply in the firewall area, the suspension LG, and the tray above the engine for batteries and ignition, i was suprised to find this thing is balancing nose heavy at this time and that is without the batteries or any other gear loaded. with the batteries loaded in, the thing is really nose heavy.
    i like your idea about using the throttle mix and may do that if needed. what i did from reading early on and with the suggestion by Deljon, i built in some positive incidence in the stab like the real DR1 uses.....................for those that are thinking or planning to build one though, check the plans thoroughly as there is actually negative incidence in the stab, and also check the wing plans as they are bigger on the right side spanwise.
    i also found that the wing spacing between all three wings on the plans is off, leaving the upper wing to sit lower in relation to the other wings.

BTW, what did your DR1 end up weighing?
    You may be surprised with how much weight the covering will add behind the CG. As far as mine goes I never bothered to weigh it as it balanced (with the Zenoah 45) right on the button. I did put the elevator and Rudder servo in the tail though(underneath the elevator). I remember now that I also built in a degree or two of positive incidence in the stab. I will probably be getting the plane out for a Canada Day funfly next weekend so I'll try to remember to put it on a scale.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LT,
    i know what you mean by the aft weight............so your warning is taken with care.
    don't forget that i used the GT cowl which is signifigantly heavier than the plastic kit cowl.............also, i did not use the 4-40 rods from the kit, but CF tube which cut 2 ounces of weight off the tail.
    i wonder though, the GTM DR1 is a heavier tail construction than this model and the guys get them to balance with the OS 1.60 which is lighter yet than the 30.
    the temptation to step up to a DLE 50 or the G45 is there............knowing it all worked out with your makes it a comfy option should i need it.
    what size prop are you swinging on the 45?
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LT,
    i know what you mean by the aft weight............so your warning is taken with care.
    don't forget that i used the GT cowl which is signifigantly heavier than the plastic kit cowl.............also, i did not use the 4-40 rods from the kit, but CF tube which cut 2 ounces of weight off the tail.
    i wonder though, the GTM DR1 is a heavier tail construction than this model and the guys get them to balance with the OS 1.60 which is lighter yet than the 30.
    the temptation to step up to a DLE 50 or the G45 is there............knowing it all worked out with your makes it a comfy option should i need it.
    what size prop are you swinging on the 45?
    20 x 8 Dynathrust

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Howdy all, Hope the Dr-1 project is getting ready for the Maiden Summerwind
    heres a little inspiration and a quick flight of mine on Saturday
    http://youtu.be/7ZGnmaMWEDM
    LIFE IS A DEATH SPIN

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Waldopepperaxel

Howdy all, Hope the Dr-1 project is getting ready for the Maiden Summerwind
    heres a little inspiration and a quick flight of mine on Saturday
    http://youtu.be/7ZGnmaMWEDM
    thx for posting the link.........loved the video and like i posted, more than enough power.

i'm doing the pull/pull setups right now and then on to the covering..............your video got me anxious
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah she is a great flying bird for sure, one of my favorites to fly the 26cc is plenty of power also and the CG is perfect with no added weight anywhere.
    LIFE IS A DEATH SPIN

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello DR1 drivers. Flying my first DR1 and Building my second. Close to radio install. and adding Cheeks.

Name:	Jg14275.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	1632692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	So43057.jpg 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	1632693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wb75479.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	1632694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jc85979.jpg 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	1632695  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The weather here in Arizona is getting very hot 118 last week and a monumental Dirt storm this week. Building has moved into the dining room. Decided on the 454/17 coverig scheme. Lothars ride.

Name:	Jg14154.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	1632698   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr56298.jpg 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	1632699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pu51606.jpg 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	1632700   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ic84804.jpg 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	1632701  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will probably cover my second in Solartex. If I paint it I will have to wait until October for it to be cool enough to paint. Does anyone sell pre-printed streaked Green like the Factory finish? I checked GTM's site.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I made a very simple gun mount that allows for a quick install after wings are in place. I will use the guns for both of my DR1's for now. The Barrels are a bit elevated for my liking. I like Summerwinds mounting the best.

Name:	Ay74500.jpg 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	1632703   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa86456.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	1632704  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking good.
    Smooth, like Keith Stone.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hate the way my Guns are mounted so I will be fixxing that someday soon I hope

Roncanell I think Coverite Might have the streaked green finish your looking for I could be wrong, But I went to get solartex for mine and they didn't have the color I wanted in stock So I went with the coverite fabric, and I loved working with it Its my favorite next to Silk wrapping.
    It goes on so easily and is pretty much seamless. you may want to look into it if you haven't already.

LIFE IS A DEATH SPIN

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Waldo, thanks I will check the Coverite site.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Coverite...........now that is some tough stuff and there ain't a corner or curve that it won't go around.

i cracked up a Kaos 40 once that was covered with it and finish with Poly-U...........the covering didn't split open or even wrinkle persee..............it was likeing walking back with a bundle of munched balsa contained in it's own colorful bag
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah thats for sure, its very strong and plyable. Awesome stuff.
    one of my flights with the Dr-1 ended up having a dead battery and as soon as I made two laps I brought it down to 1/4 throttle for a low pass by the runway well it stuck right there and I had no control at all she was just doing the old roller coaster flight climb and dive until she settled into the great big corn stalks well the corn caught it just like a big glove with fingers, and the only damage was a broken Aileron, I Couldn't belive there wasn't a hole in the covering anywhere at all and the broken aileron was just 1 rib and the trailing edge cracked in the same spot so I slit a hole in the covering put some zap on it and re melted the covering back on it took about 8 mintues to fix, and you can't tell it happened at all. Good stuff
    LIFE IS A DEATH SPIN

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast