Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Somethin' Extra Questions, Please visit...

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Somethin' Extra Questions, Please visit...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 01:43 PM
hitcttd
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Somethin' Extra Questions, Please visit...

I just ordered the kit, waiting for it to come in...

Well i'm doing my research like i'm suppose to and found a few things.

First of all i hear that sig did something with the wings that apparently a lot of people don't like... I think i sort of understand what you guys are saying, but is it possible someone can post pictures of what you're talking about... Oh and since we're posting pictures, maybe i'll see some cool colour schemes?

another thing is engine, i have an Evolution 46, and a saito 65, i think both will underpower the plane, so i might get a 46fx... Now will the FX hover the plane? please let me know

last... i've never covered a plane before, any tips/tricks/advice? is this plane hard to cover?

BTW i'm thinkin to make this plane white and hot pink... muahahahaha

thanks for your help guys...
Old 11-15-2004, 02:08 PM
DamonTX

Default RE: Sig Somethin' Extra Questions, Please visit...

First of all, good choice of airplanes. I've built three and always take one of them with me to the field. I made them all as light as possible and put .46 FX on two of them with tuned pipes. Neither will hover but the third one does with a .50 SX. I one put a Rossi on one of them but that was just a ridiculuous amount of power so I got rid of it.

Either of the engines you mentioned would work well. The .65 will definitely be enough to do a hover.

The gripe I hear most about the wings is the two J hooks with rubber bands holding holding the wings together. I've never had a problem but I did make darn sure the J hooks were secure on the inboard wing ribs. Some people recommend using rubber gaskets to hold them together fearing a rubber band won't do it.

HOT PINK!?!?! Booo. But hey, at least you didn't go the ARF route.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:12 PM
hitcttd

Hahaha thanks for your input... Hey i've seen an extra 300 white and hot pink, looked sweet... but please dont get me wrong, i'm not sweet in anyway.... yeah looks like i'll put that saito in there, since i already have it... I guess i'll find out the wing problem when i get the kit... i was also looking at the fx, but if my saito will do it then hey i'll throw her in there...

thanks again
Old 11-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Falcon0988
My Feedback: (16)

I have the Evo .46 on my SE and it overpowers the plane, in my mind. I fly it at about 1/4-1/3 throttle and can do lots of things, but to go verticle, I have to go up on throttle. If you really want to have a ton of power, go with the .65. My favorite thing to do is to just go up on a windy day, cut back the throttle, and see how long I can hold it the same spot. I've thought about buying a wing kit and adding several bays on to see if I can make it even better up there, that way, I'd have a fuse, with two sets of wings,one 3d and the other a big floater (maybe even add flaps for really slow flying). I use the J-hooks with a zip tie.

Hunter
Old 11-15-2004, 04:57 PM
dbruening80
My Feedback: (1)

From what I've read, there are plenty of people who have had no problem at all with the j-hook/rubber band method. I add a second rubber band and a zip tie. I fly mine with a OS 46 AX, plenty of power, wont quite hover, but then again, it's not really built for all out 3-D. You'll love the plane
Old 11-15-2004, 05:14 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a spring and eye hooks instead of rubber bands. Works great
Old 11-15-2004, 09:44 PM
hitcttd

This is my first kit btw... what am i going to need in terms of tools to build it successfully? Thank everyone
Old 11-15-2004, 10:05 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a SE with the Evo .46 NT. It hovers and has power to pull out. It will fly out of sight straight up, so no problems there. I'm using an APC 11x4, which gives decent top speed with great vertical. Just watch your top RPMs and be careful to not over rev the engine with that prop.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:51 AM
Red B.

-
Old 11-16-2004, 04:53 AM
Red B.

xX911gt2Xx wrote:
...First of all i hear that sig did something with the wings that apparently a lot of people don't like...

another thing is engine, i have an Evolution 46, and a saito 65, i think both will underpower the plane, so i might get a 46fx... Now will the FX hover the plane? please let me know

last... i've never covered a plane before, any tips/tricks/advice? is this plane hard to cover?
The SE is a very nice aircraft.
The wing thing you mentioned can be one of two commonly discussed issues:
1) The method of keeping the wing attached (J-hooks and rubberbands). IMHO this is a non-issue. The suggested method works great, no problems whatsoever.

2) If the wing is built using the alignment tabs at the rear of the wing-ribs, it will end up with a very slight wash-in. One could argue that the wash-in will create tip-stalling tendencies but anobody who has flown a SE can tell you that this is not the case.

Covering the aircraft is not a problem as all surfaces have single curvature. The trickiest part for a beginner probably is the turtledeck which has a slight double curvature to it. It's best covered using two or more pieces of covering material.

As for the engine, a 46FX with a low pitch propeller (i.e. 12.25x3.75) will hover the aircraft. If you are considering buying a new engine IMHO the optimal two-stroke engine for the SE probably is the Irvine 53.

Good luck with your SE!

/Red B.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:57 AM
kregan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the engine, a 46FX with a low pitch propeller (i.e. 12.25x3.75) will
hover the aircraft. If you are considering buying a new engine IMHO the optimal
two-stroke engine for the SE probably is the Irvine 53.
I finally decided on an Engine.... I ordered the Irvine 53 from Just Engines.

I herd nothing but praise for this 2 stroke in the hundreds of messages I searched
through in the last week or so. If I had not gone with the Irvine it would have been
a Webra 50. If I had needed to stay under 100.00 I would have gotten the TT.46
2 stroke.

I was leaning hard to a Magnum 52XLS for 79.00 at Tower, however in all the messages
I searched through I kept reading about a week transition from low rpm to high. This is
probably easy to fix with a good carb cleaning and sealing but I didn't want to chance it.

Good luck.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Sport Flyer
My Feedback: (10)

Good choice. I flew mine with that combo. I used 12x4 and 12x5 props, and yes, it will hover with power to pull up and out. I originally had an Irvine 46 in mine but changed that over to a Kougar and put in a .53 for the power bonus.

The rubber band method is definitely a non-issue. Just change it with some frequency and don't rely on one thats starting to tear. And btw, you'll probably chew thru a few props tho if you don't increase your clearance by either going to taller landing gear or increasing your wheel size. I had little problem with 11" props but did with 12".
Old 11-16-2004, 10:38 AM
hookedonrc

Rather than try to repeat what I originally wrote, here is a thread on the one that I built. I too use a rubber band on the J hooks, but add a zip tie for the security. Have never had a problem. Also, do not take much stock in the time it took me to build. I spent several months working on other planes. Mine has an OS46fx and I would think that your choice in engines should be fine.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_19...tm.htm#1914644
Old 11-16-2004, 10:47 PM
hitcttd

Hello everyone thanks for the replies... I will be using my Saito 65 it looks like... I will also probably use either an 11x5 or a 12x4... I've used 12x6 on my saito before but i think it's overpropping it a little bit... Looks like i have nothing to worry about with the wing, but we'll see when i get the kit... it comes in tomorrow! can't wait...

Later guys
Old 11-17-2004, 07:18 PM
hitcttd

Hey did you guys use the stock nylon rods? i've used them before and they work fine i think, what are you guys doing?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:47 PM
hookedonrc

Actually I used the sleeves, but opted for metal pushrods. I have never been a fan of the nyrods. I have had them expand and contract depending on the temperature.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:28 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like nyrods either, but I inherited my SE and it had them installed. No problems so far.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:16 AM
sir-crash-alot
My Feedback: (4)

I have been workin on mine of and on for 6 months so far. Im using pull-pull on rudder. It has a magnum .46 with a tower pipe. Im putting on the stock scheme only in blue. Im also using normal 3004's i will post some pics its close to being done!
Old 11-19-2004, 03:26 PM
OverTheEdge

I used sullivan golden rods on mine and pull pull on the rudder. I also modified the rudder and tail fin abit. Cut off the top half of the tail fin and fixed it to the rudder as a counter balance. Can you say snap roll.... it snaps blistering fast compared to my stock SE.
Powered mine with an OS50sx.... nice.... your saito should be fine.
Also.... look into the dubro curved plastic landing gear. Won't add enough weight to talk about.. will give good ground clearance... and looks good.
Regardless of the landing gear used... I'd recommend beefing up the landing gear block in the fuse with some hard wood keyed into the fuse sides...

I'll see if i have some pics to post.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:40 PM
OverTheEdge

ok... i have pics... but can't figure out how to post 'em... HELP!!! lol
Old 11-20-2004, 12:37 AM
OverTheEdge

Think I figured it out if anyone is interested in seeing my SE. Other mods include adding flying wires to the tail and moving the elevator servo aft mounted external by the stab.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77594.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	194607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98320.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	194608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88568.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	194609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87723.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	194610  
Old 11-20-2004, 06:59 PM
amelia-air
My Feedback: (82)

In the process of building my first Sig Extra .Not a fan of the j-hook thing,I bought two 3/4 in. screw type heater hose clamps.I notched the servo tray so that the clamps would go all the way around the Paper tube. Now all it takes is a twist of a screw driver,and wings are securly fastened. Just as a little extra peace of mind,I epoxy the tube in the plane,and the ones in the wings. Very little effort secures the wing halfs,and I,m sure they will never come off. I used all sullivan control rods. Time will tell--
Old 11-20-2004, 07:13 PM
tychoc

amelia-air: I'm about to start building my SIG SE soon. I've got the kit, but right now I'm working on the Venus 40 ARF. Do you have pictures that you could post showing your solution?

Thanks,

tycho
Old 11-20-2004, 07:31 PM
amelia-air
My Feedback: (82)

ORIGINAL: tychoc

amelia-air: I'm about to start building my SIG SE soon. I've got the kit, but right now I'm working on the Venus 40 ARF. Do you have pictures that you could post showing your solution?

Thanks,

tycho
Sorry--no camera--If your looking at the instruction manual,or top view of the plans--Evision two 3/4 in hose screw clamps around the outside of the brown tube,on the inside of the fuselage. After you slide the wings on --oh forgot to mention I relocated the j-hooks so that they are right on top of the brown tube when the wings are attached.The j-hooks are captured by the clamps. I removed most of the J--The clamps keep the aluminum tube secure,and capture the J-hooks. Eliminates the need for rubber bands.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:18 PM
DamonTX

Back in 1999, after building my first SE I liked it so much I blew the plans up 150% and got this monster. It turned out very nice but I couldn't taper the wings because I didn't have the outline of the ribs after building the kit. It flew great with a Supertiger 3000.

I bolted the wings on by the way, no rubber bands were gonna hold those wings. Also back then I couldn't find proper aluminum wing tubes so I used a shower curtain rod with a broomstick through it. LOL... at the time it really was an experiment but since then, I've been wanting to do it again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95429.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	195613  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.