Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

CBM F16..first experience with foam

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

CBM F16..first experience with foam

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 05:12 PM
SHERDILL
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBM F16..first experience with foam

Hi i just aquired a CBM kit from ebay,initial work has already been started by the seller,such as foam wing cores covered, and lines for push rods run, but in the fuse is still in two halves,the guy did a pretty poor and sloppy job, i will have to do a lot of filling,sanding and smoothing out to get a nice finish....1.my question is should i cover the foam first with FG cloth and then take care of filling out any dings or dents on the or should i first repair the dings and then cover it with FG cloth....2.what type of a filler can i use for styro foam...3.can i use epoxy to join foam....4.has any one built one witha ducted fan setup,if so which engine and fan was used...

Thanks

Salman
Old 11-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: CBM F16..first experience with foam

[quote]ORIGINAL: SHERDILL
i will have to do a lot of filling,sanding and smoothing out to get a nice finish....1.my question is should i cover the foam first with FG cloth and then take care of filling out any dings or dents on the or should i first repair the dings and then cover it with FG cloth
[/color]

First off, remember that weight is your enemy. You could use either of the methods you describe above for filling. If you fill before glassing, use a lite weight filler such as Red Devil wall spackle. The key here is to have a substance that will sand before the surrounding foam. If you glass before filling, you can then use a lite weight body filler "Glazing Putty" to fill the dings. If using this method, you have to make sure that you have good coverage with the glass & cloth... with no voids or pin holes. The glazing putty if it gets to the foam will melt it. If you use the glazing putty, put it on in very thin coats to avoid the putty attacking the foam. The second method I mention would be my preferred method, as it gives a hard substrate to sand against.

2.what type of a filler can i use for styro foam...

See above for suggested filler.

3.can i use epoxy to join foam....

Yes, just be tidy with it. Remove excess right away by wiping with a paper towel saturated with alcohol.

4.has any one built one witha ducted fan setup,if so which engine and fan was used...

A few have attempted, but it's not worth the effort. Build it as it was intended, and go have fun.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:09 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are quite a few threads about this plane in RCU. I assume you have the pusher version. From most of the comments I have seen the ONLY engine to use is the YS .45, the rest are too slow. Not my opinion just what I have read.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:34 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed with above. Build it as a pusher as designed. Their video tape and instructions are pretty good. Follow them. They have a good proceedure for glassing the aircraft as well as for assembly.

The plane needs an Outstanding engine to push it along.

Although there are a number of folks flying the F-16N with Jett SJ-50 power, the YS-45 is the prefered choice due to the configuration of the fuel system. The pressurized fuel system simply makes it easier to deal with. Plus the engine has substantial power and flys the plane well.

Utilizing the Jett 50 requires re-engineering the fuel system a bit. Moves the tanks back over the CG, and you have to add a small header tank just behind the firewall.

I hope this is helpful
Bob