Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Reinforcing landing gear

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Reinforcing landing gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 08:27 PM
miamifly
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinforcing landing gear

On a ruff landing in the grass this afternoon, I had the landing gear ripped from the bottem of the fusalage. Nothing else is damaged, I know this is an easy fix with just a lttlie epoxy, but what are some things I can do to make the mount stronger? It's the GP cap 232 .46 with just a 1/4 inch piece of ply on the inside of the fusalage for the gear to screw into. Any suggestions
Old 08-20-2002, 08:56 PM
snsmith
My Feedback: (5)

Not that ripping the gear block out is good, but just be aware that if you reinforce the gear block, the energy of a bad landing will have to be absorbed by something that may be harder to fix (bent gear, cracked fuse, etc.).

That being said, you can epoxy triangle stock and/or fiberglass or carbon fiber cloth at the joint of the landing gear plate and fuse. In addition, you can use 1/4" nylon bolts that will shear on a bad landing and save your plane and gear from significant damage (other than damage from a belly flop).
Old 09-09-2002, 03:34 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On this note...I oopsed today and came in a little hot with my Extra 300 and the gear ripped right off. Not alot of reinforcement so it may have prevented ripping apart the fuselage as it broke off but on the other hand I wasn't coming in really that hot where I believe the gear should have been shed.

So the question becomes is it better to have the gear be only lightly reinforced as a planned failure point if a rough landing occurs or better to beef it up so good that it won't rip no matter what? The bolts seem like a good idea but when the gear comes off on this plane the wheels go right through the wing (today top and bottom - pain to fix and ugly patches). Also the firewall came loose on mine during the landing debacle and that needs to be reinforced (not too much glue from the factory it looked like).

I guess the best solution is to land perfect each time
Old 01-16-2003, 03:10 AM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have built shock absorbing landing gear using R/C car shocks. They can still be damaged but take all the bounce out of landing for me. To see a photo of this set up do a search in here . Look under "Shock Absorber"
Old 01-16-2003, 04:57 AM
2rolls
My Feedback: (16)

Default gear

I use 10-24 nylon bolts tapped into a re-enforce gear plate.
There two bolts on my Venus, Three bolts on my CG Ultimate, and Six on my pattern plane. (Focus).
Patching a wing is less trouble for me than rebuilding the bottom of the plane (I have done both)
Memo to self: learn to land better......croz