Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Extra 300

Old 02-24-2019, 04:45 PM
ExtraCGScott

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Inspired by Wizard..... (and the others whom recommended that we need templates, etc for this particular bird),

I decided to scan rib #8, and traced that scan in PowerPoint. I then imported that image into the software that comes with our Cricut Maker. Threw in the knife blade (for balsa). I popped out a perfect copy of rib #8 in about 3 minutes! Came out nearly perfect (and better than the original die-cut version. Next step - digitizing the rest of the ribs!

Old 02-24-2019, 05:19 PM
imcrazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by ExtraCGScott View Post
Inspired by Wizard..... (and the others whom recommended that we need templates, etc for this particular bird),

I decided to scan rib #8, and traced that scan in PowerPoint. I then imported that image into the software that comes with our Cricut Maker. Threw in the knife blade (for balsa). I popped out a perfect copy of rib #8 in about 3 minutes! Came out nearly perfect (and better than the original die-cut version. Next step - digitizing the rest of the ribs!

wow, I could use a set of ribs. I only have 7 and 2 are plastic copy's. I bought the kit online and got screwed.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:20 PM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A Cricut can do Balsa? That is something I didn't know it could do.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:54 PM
jimamosn8cah

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

4" spacing works great, and I think is pretty standard. But, I can accommodate anything that might be needed by the ribs. Also, given that there is slight dihedral, you might consider building the dihedral into the 1/4 holes if the ribs can accommodate it (Like Al Rabe, if you familiar with his work) allowing for building the entire wing at once, or left and right halves.

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 02-24-2019, 05:58 PM
ExtraCGScott

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
A Cricut can do Balsa? That is something I didn't know it could do.
Yes - the latest model (the Maker) can cut balsa with the "knife blade" attachment (essentially a commercial x-acto blade) with ease. This model came out last year.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:31 PM
Wizardofflight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello,

ExtraCGScott I just did a comparison of your rib #8 with what I extrapolated from the fuse side view. and I am pretty happy with the results.

Thank you for posting this, I'll have to try this with the cutting blade for my Silhouette.

Alan
Old 02-25-2019, 05:36 PM
ExtraCGScott

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Alan,

Wow - looks like you matched nearly perfectly! Sheet 2 will be dropped in the mail tomorrow. Also, I would be happy to send you scans of all ribs, with dimensions so that you can recreate more efficiently accurate digital drawings with your software. What I am doing is rather archaic (basically tracing scans in power point - which is a pain in the butt, and likely not as accurate)!!!!

Here is my reproduction of rib #2, with the wing-jig knockoffs. Best, Scott
Old 02-25-2019, 06:08 PM
Wizardofflight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello,

Thank you, greatly appreciate the help. The scans of the ribs would be fantastic. My e-mail is wizardofflight@comcast.net

Your Circuit does a great job. Maybe archaic, but gets the job done. The result are superb.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Wow - looks like you matched nearly perfectly! Sheet 2 will be dropped in the mail tomorrow. Also, I would be happy to send you scans of all ribs, with dimensions so that you can recreate more efficiently accurate digital drawings with your software. What I am doing is rather archaic (basically tracing scans in power point - which is a pain in the butt, and likely not as accurate)!!!!

Here is my reproduction of rib #2, with the wing-jig knockoffs. Best, Scott
Old 02-25-2019, 07:52 PM
vogelm1
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is awesome...great idea and impressed how the parts came out. Nicely done!
Old 02-25-2019, 07:55 PM
ExtraCGScott

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Wizardofflight View Post
Hello,

Thank you, greatly appreciate the help. The scans of the ribs would be fantastic. My e-mail is wizardofflight@comcast.net

Your Circuit does a great job. Maybe archaic, but gets the job done. The result are superb.

Alan
Hi Alan - just emailed you the scans of the ribs and their dimensions. Let me know if you need anything else. The Cricut Maker is perfect for modeling. After spending years of being bored at Jo-Anns waiting for my wife to finish shopping, finally there was something for me! Does a really nice job cutting balsa (up to 3/32)... and an even better job at cutting out detailed images in Monokote trimsheets!

Old 02-26-2019, 07:54 AM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes - the latest model (the Maker) can cut balsa with the "knife blade" attachment (essentially a commercial x-acto blade) with ease. This model came out last year.
Thanks, I will definitely need to check that out. I have a 1/10 scale B-17 project that something like this would help a lot. The plans call for balsa plywood, so essentially several layers of balsa would need to be cut exactly the same and then glued up.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:33 AM
ExtraCGScott

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Thanks, I will definitely need to check that out. I have a 1/10 scale B-17 project that something like this would help a lot. The plans call for balsa plywood, so essentially several layers of balsa would need to be cut exactly the same and then glued up.
Sounds like a great project. I am scratch building a 1/4 scale Cessna 140 from plans - sure wish I had it when cutting out ribs! I am still trying to work out the best way to bring in files to Cricut's software so that it cuts exactly how it was drawn (it does a really good job, but still could be a bit better - going to try a DXF file next). It will cut 1/32 to 3/32 balsa (nothing thicker). 1/16th seems to be the best (3/32 takes some time, but if everything is laid out on a balsa sheet - just let it work while you do something else). Will also cut light ply, but takes much longer (scroll saw and fine-tune sanding is much quicker). Not sure yet how long a blade will last, but replacement blades are readily available but a little pricey (10 bucks a pop). But, in sum, highly recommended (I don't think any other vinyl-cutting brand has the same functionality)
Old 03-02-2019, 06:26 PM
Wizardofflight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is the latest draft, the wings and ribs are complete, still working on the details and clean up. Take a look let me know what you think. I'll get a full size PDF posted once they're complete.

Thanks goes to Mr. Mangan and Mr. Goodman for the information on the wing!

Alan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CG Extra 300 DRAFT 3219.pdf (610.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 03-03-2019, 04:46 AM
karolh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is the latest draft, the wings and ribs are complete, still working on the details and clean up. Take a look let me know what you think. I'll get a full size PDF posted once they're complete.

Alan
Just viewed your latest draft.....excellent work Wiuzadofflight, and something that will certainly be a boon to the many CG Extra lovers and scratch builders out there.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:40 PM
ExtraCGScott

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alan
Well done Alan!!! I was thinking about building my second Extra from a kit I still have, but might try scratch building one from the plans you are developing! I will break open the kit and send you a photo of the turtle deck tomorrow (was traveling this weekend). Scott
Old 03-04-2019, 08:42 PM
Wizardofflight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you. They are almost complete. These are one of the most envolved plans I have done to date so I greatly appericate the help.

Alan

Well done Alan!!! I was thinking about building my second Extra from a kit I still have, but might try scratch building one from the plans you are developing! I will break open the kit and send you a photo of the turtle deck tomorrow (was traveling this weekend). Scott
Old 03-06-2019, 08:54 AM
golf4two

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default DLE20 report

Originally Posted by karolh View Post
A DLE 20cc would be an excellent power choice for your CG Extra. This engine is a fairly smooth running unit and once securely mounted there should no unwanted vibrations.
IMCRAZY: Please post how it goes with the DLE20. My CG Extra is roughly 10 years old. Started out with an ST90 but that engine was unreliable (would just quit at the most inopportune time!). Swapped it out with an OS91FX and it was just great. Dummy me stripped the glow plug thread so I sent it to Lee Custom Engines for repair. If they can't fix it I was thinking of retrofitting a DEL20RA. I have one in another plane and it is a sweet running engine. Getting fed up with the hassles, mess and cost of glow so will convert whatever planes I can to gas. Will be great when they get the designs working well for the smaller displacements.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:00 AM
imcrazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by golf4two View Post
IMCRAZY: Please post how it goes with the DLE20. My CG Extra is roughly 10 years old. Started out with an ST90 but that engine was unreliable (would just quit at the most inopportune time!). Swapped it out with an OS91FX and it was just great. Dummy me stripped the glow plug thread so I sent it to Lee Custom Engines for repair. If they can't fix it I was thinking of retrofitting a DEL20RA. I have one in another plane and it is a sweet running engine. Getting fed up with the hassles, mess and cost of glow so will convert whatever planes I can to gas. Will be great when they get the designs working well for the smaller displacements.
well. I pulled the Goldberg ultimate down to dust off and realized the covering was really bad. So I am recovering it now. Then I figured I'll buy a fresh engine,so I just bought a OS 1.20 AX 2 stroke.
After I get it back together I will start the extra.
I still love nitro too. So if I like this new one I may buy one for the extra too😁
Old 03-07-2019, 04:36 AM
karolh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by golf4two View Post
My CG Extra is 24 years old and like you had a ST .90 which gave it fairly good performance but I too got fed up with it's unreliable running and swapped it out for a Ralph Cunningham converted to CDI and lightened Zenoah G23, and going gas was one of the best decision I ever made. My old school G23 gives it unlimited vertical performance, and a DLE 20 with its new technology and design features should give a very similar type of performance.

Last edited by karolh; 03-07-2019 at 04:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:38 PM
Wizardofflight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is the CAD conversion/redraw of the Goldberg Extra 300 full size PDF and the DXF file. Please let me now what you think and if there are any issues with the files.

Alan
Attached Files
File Type: zip
CG Extra 300 final 31119.zip (1.04 MB, 28 views)
Old 03-12-2019, 04:34 AM
karolh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alan, I really think that you did an excellent job here, and the Goldberg Extra fraternity will certainly thank you.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:36 AM
Tony Hallo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Allan,
Very nice work.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:34 PM
Wizardofflight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Had to make a small update, it was pointed out that I missed the templates for the wing center sheeting so they have been added.

Tried to update my previous post, but the forum wouldn't let me.

Alan
Attached Files
File Type: zip
CG Extra 300 final 31319.zip (2.32 MB, 33 views)
Old 03-26-2019, 07:50 PM
ExtraCGScott

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ribs anyone?

I finally got the full set of ribs for the GB Extra 300 setup in the Cricut program. I can now make identical copies of the originals - and quite quickly. In the spirit of Alan's efforts to contribute to this model - I would be happy to cut ribs out for people at cost of balsa (and a few bucks to partially cover price of replacement blades. Just send me a PM if you are in need!
Old 08-27-2019, 06:10 PM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey.
Built one of these before. check out post #43 Anyway i have a short kit on order and will have wizards plans ordered for printing tomorrow.
The only real small problem is the leading edge. Sense that special cut is no longer available i assume your using square sticks?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.