Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Extra 300

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Extra 300

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 06:32 AM
gmidbrod2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice

How excellent to see this plane live on. Just acquired a built used Ultimate (needing restoration) and decided to look for plans and templates to do a build of the Extra 300. Hopefully, I am not to late to the show though.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:07 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gmidbrod2
How excellent to see this plane live on. Just acquired a built used Ultimate (needing restoration) and decided to look for plans and templates to do a build of the Extra 300. Hopefully, I am not to late to the show though.
This thread was started in May 2004, that's only 13 years ago so consider yourself right on time as many of us old timers that contributed back then to this thread still do. Would be refreshing to see someone do a CG Extra 300 build. Pretty sure several of us would tag along with great interest so hopefully your build will become a reality.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:51 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Hey, what 4 stroke would make a good engine for this, and does it 3D or close to it? I had an Ultimate Bipe with Gemini 120 that went in nose first so looking for a plane for the engine.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

Originally Posted by acdii
Hey, what 4 stroke would make a good engine for this, and does it 3D or close to it? I had an Ultimate Bipe with Gemini 120 that went in nose first so looking for a plane for the engine.
ys 115 is bad ass on the extra.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:01 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I've got a YS110 sitting on a shelf.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:25 PM
gmidbrod2

Thanks for the welcoming gesture karolh. I have not posted anything on any builds. Maybe it would be well for the kit building community small as it is. If I order the Fiberglass parts, canopy, and landing gear, I will post here again to signal the intent to build for sure. Will have to round up the plans at that time.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:31 AM
karolh

Originally Posted by gmidbrod2
Thanks for the welcoming gesture karolh. I have not posted anything on any builds. Maybe it would be well for the kit building community small as it is. If I order the Fiberglass parts, canopy, and landing gear, I will post here again to signal the intent to build for sure. Will have to round up the plans at that time.
There are lots of folks here with plans and templates for the Extra so give a holler for anything you might need as we all will be more than welcome I'm sure to assist you in your quest. In answer your other questions, the Extra was designed long before the advent of 3D flying so it's control surfaces and design does not favor that type of flying. Any 4 stroke 1.20 size glow engine or one of the current 20cc gassers will make a good power match for the Extra.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:56 AM
pilotpete2

+1 on a 20cc for the Goldberg Extra!
The Dle 20ra would be a good choice for minimal cutting of the cowl.
Pete
Old 11-11-2017, 08:57 AM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any one have the templates for the Goldberg extra? I would like to scratch build it If I can find the templates.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:13 PM
gmidbrod2

Default plans and templates

Being I am planning a full scratch build, I need the plans and all templates. No hurry though, Thanks to anyone who is able to make them available.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:46 PM
pilotpete2

I have an Extra 300 wing kit NIB, never even been opened.
If anyone is interested PM me.
Pete
Old 11-12-2017, 04:26 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have plans and templates that can be copied and sent to whoever needs them for the cost of the copies and shipping. PM me if you would to proceed.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:38 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Hi i also have the complete set of templates for an GB extra, thete put up and ot would take a litte search to find them. But if you strike out i'll do some digging and find them. All i would ask is the cost of shipping them. You can pm or email me
at [email protected].
Old 11-13-2017, 12:17 PM
gmidbrod2

Thanks a bunch Cyberwolf. I will keep that in mind, always good to have a backup option.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:41 AM
OldScaleGuy

Thank you Waco for paying for your plans and templates. Shipping is arranged.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:39 AM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to thank you for the time you spent doing this, I been looking for templates for this plane for some time.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:51 AM
OldScaleGuy

You are very welcome.
I did run across this earlier this morning.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ra-300-kit-New
Old 12-11-2017, 03:34 AM
tim allen

Default CG extra 300

Allright guys , time to start building - modifying and the plane i have picked is the cg extra , i have only been staring at it for a year , lol . A little history on the bird first , a buddy of mine found it on craigslist pretty cheap . It had a kraft 60 in it with old futaba 3004 servos, and a 16 oz tank . Nothing fancy and it was covered with white and orange ultracote , which i promptly stripped off . This bird is well built and light !
Now for the mods ; i plane to enlarge the rudder , enlarge the elevator by cutting the stabilizer, enlarge the ailerons into the wing , over- laying the wing with 1/16 balsa (wood on wing has been sanded down WAY to thin) , dropping the wing saddle down an inch into the fuselage to look more scale and modern and reducing the canopy down to a one seater while creating a battery hatch . These are the structure mods i have planed .
motor mods are as planned : tacon 110 outrunner with exceed rc 100 amp hv esc on 8s . I have flown this combo before and bench tested it . It spunn a apc 16×12e at 8000 rpm pulling 70 amps at 1400 watts and lasted about 15 minutes in leaving the batteries at 45% . Talk about power ! I love glow power but i need a plane that i do not have to fiddle with and can practice with . I am not looking for 3d just a VERY aggrssive aerobatic sport . There is a chance i will be flying at the Cleaveland airshow in a 3 way freestyle competition next year if all goes well . I had planned on flying my midwest 27% cap 232 with it's dle 55 but i need a back-up plane that i can practice my routine on at our small field this winter . And i am covering it in the Goodyear extra scheme since I am a proud Akron OH boy ! Lol. How much you guys want to bet the cap 232 becomes the back-up plane ? Wish me luck fellows and pics will be arriving shortly.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:05 AM
tim allen

Default CG extra 300

Oh , one more little bit of history , i belong to one of my country's oldest rc clubs , we are currently called the Corsair Club of Kent Oh , but we used to be the Goodyear RC Club . We lost our field of 35 + years because the metro parks decided to put a boardwalk through a swamp next door to us at the summit co fairgrounds and promptly kicked us out . Our field that we have now is small but at least we have one .
Fellows i am sick of Chinese arfs put together by child labor while my fellow country men and women walk around jobless so when i fly next year it will be with passion that i choose to represent God , my country and my hometown and our club !
Old 12-11-2017, 05:36 AM
gmidbrod2

Default I feel the same

Tim,

I also feel that it would bode well for the country and hobby alike to unite and go local. I am guilty of several ARF's in my own stable, and they seem to have a place. However, I feel there is something deeper totally missing when flying them and arriving at the field to see a line up of all ARF's.

On another note. I have plans and landing gear at this point for my build. Need to still get the cowl, canopy, and wheel pants. Maybe after the holidays. I am considering lowering the wing as well via a wing tube setup. I plan to scratch build the thing with accommodations for my customization. Thus, I am interested in how it works out. If anyone else has any input on the impact of lowering the wing, please chime in.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:10 AM
tim allen

Default CG extra 300

I have several arfs as well , but i notice that i do not have structure usues with my kit birds . On a different note i just cut the stabilizer back 1" and also the ends of the stabilizer by 2" for scale looks . I marked and cut the wing saddle down by 1 1/4" using the same pieces i cut to re-establish wing incidence notching them out for fuselage cross-formers and gluing them inside the plane .
Problem ; the wing is still one piece leaving me very little room in fuselage . Ideas ?
Old 12-11-2017, 01:09 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Tim
That could be an issue alight, the only thing that comes to mind is to make it a 2 piece wing.
i know its a lot more work but the extra WP will aid in some lift you might need from the other mods anyway.
Myself i have never seen the need to lower the wing down where the 300-S is or similar due to the fact that both the 300 and 260 have such suberb handling abilitys inverted. Either hands off or just breath on the stick for level flight, with the CG a tad towards the rear.
For a 60 size plane they fly more like a 50cc size even with wing loading crowded.
oh with the mods please dont forget the landing gear and the fuse sides between F-1 & F-2 . Glue the punch out piece right back in where it came from then double it with some light ply then add some tri stock over the ends.
Sorry i cant be of more help at the moment im having a brain cramp its been a while since i built one of the extras.
Good luck with the build im looking forward to see the progress as it comes together.
Richard
Old 12-11-2017, 01:57 PM
karolh

Hi Tim,
All of the mods that Cyberwolf mentioned goes a far way in making the Extra more structurally sound especially to take the vibrations etc. of a gas engine. The CG Extra has a tendency of sometimes nosing over when taxing from a grass field and holding a tad of up elevator sure helps but I found that adding a 3/8" thk. to zero wedge plate between the alum. landing gear and the fuse which give the main wheels a forward rake of about an additional inch cures the problem completely.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:01 PM
tim allen

Default CG extra 300

Thanks karolh , i most certainly modify the lg . I have hade to modify warbird retract the same way and what a difference it made ! And i want to say thank you to all for your thoughts and suggestions . This bird is a little bit before my time , but as i have gained experience in flying different models i have had increased respect and appreciation for some of the older designs the carl goldberg designs especially. So far i have the cg ultimate, piper cub , super decathalon and the extra 300 , oh and the cg eagle 63 , my first glow plane . A question however; was the older extas shoulder wings or was it the way cg designed them ? The only reason i choose to modify this is to be scale to the real Goodyear extra .
Old 12-11-2017, 03:06 PM
tim allen

Oh and fellows , how do i post pic from my phone on here , lol ? I seem to have forgot 😡

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.