Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Contender

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Contender

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 10:51 AM
flmlm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Contender

SafeBet,

I had the same problem, had to open my pic's in Corell Draw and resized the photo's down to about 40% sorry don't remember what the actual file size was. Also there is a test forum where you can practice until you get positive results. Good luck
Old 12-17-2004, 12:00 PM
Tomcat_AL200

eight days
Old 12-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Well, here's a pic of my mid-aired trainer. Just practice for the contender build. Please be patient with me till I figure this out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91493.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	203986  
Old 12-17-2004, 05:32 PM
miamiflyer
My Feedback: (1)

if you go with the chrome style, here are some
ideas/references from the F-86 sabre. notice the panel lines.

they are at bvmjets.com look for paint shemes.

Name:	Db84083.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	204057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68224.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	204058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64405.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	204059  
Old 12-17-2004, 05:36 PM
miamiflyer

another

Name:	Fd90879.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	204062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61167.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	204063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30277.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	204064  
Old 12-17-2004, 11:24 PM
TRobison

I'm getting ready to purchase a contender and planning on using the up-sweep wing and flap. This will be my first low wing. I have a magnum 46 engine in my PT-40, but what engine would you say I should use in this plane.

Glad I found this web site and you fellow builders.

Tim
Old 12-18-2004, 12:48 AM
Safebet

Welcome to this thread, TRobison.

The build manual I received with the kit says: Engine Required: 2-stroke .40 - .61 or
4-stroke .52 - .70

I would think your Mangnum would be ok. Again, welcome to the thread and please contribute whenever you please.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:16 AM
2slow2matter

From what I've heard others say, the .46 would be good, but would give you no excess in power. A .40 would be too small. This plane is not very heavy, so it doesn't need a lot of power. However, I'm planning on putting a saito 100 in mine, which is very much overkill. There's been some discussion about that, which you can go back and read. I'll let you all know next week how it flies with a 100 turning a 14 x 8 prop!
Old 12-18-2004, 03:38 AM
kqutob

Guys,
My Contender is ready to cover. I already installed a .61 fx and started with the servos last night. Everything has been smooth so far but my only remaining concern is the CG.
I want to try avoiding adding tail weight if possible. How about pushing the receiver back with the battery pack, will that be enough?
Old 12-19-2004, 11:09 PM
2slow2matter

Here are some pics of my buid so far. This is not an easy kit to build. So far I've gotten the wing and tail feathers built. Hopefully the fuse is easier!

Name:	Hf10290.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	204776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52398.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	204777  
Old 12-20-2004, 11:42 AM
flmlm

2slow2matter,

The wing and the control surfaces look great. What part of the construction to this point do you think was most difficult.

Regards
Old 12-20-2004, 02:00 PM
2slow2matter

All of the funky angles on the control surfaces (including the tail feathers which I've built, but didn't post pics of) are hard to get right! You have to cut them close, then sand them to the right angle. Also, the leading edge blocks on the wingtips weren't too easy, and the wing tips themselves were a little contrary. The whole thing is not really that hard, but not that easy either. Hard to explain. The instructions don't tell you everything. They're pretty good, but they leave a lot to you to figure out. Also, wile sanding the top of the wing, my thumb went through the sheeting. Had to patch that. Just takes a long time to get everything put into place and glued. There is a lot of wood in that box! Also, remember, this is my first kit, so it may not be as bad as I think it is. Definitely not a 10-15 hour job like the description says. I've worked over 20 hours so far, and the sides of the fuse are being glued to the top as I type. The fuse will probably be finished in 3-4 hours, then final sanding, put in the radio gear, and lateral balancing. Then, take it all out and cover it. We'll see how that goes! More pics to come!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 03:40 PM
flmlm

2slow2 matter,

Thanks for the input, it does sound like a challenge. Your information is helpful to an amateur builder like myself. I much like you, haven't had a whole lot of building experience so I'm expecting a challenge. I should receive my Contender in the mail around the middle of the week. Your progress looks really good so far the pictures are a good help to others, keep up the good work.

Regards
Old 12-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Safebet

Hi Carl: Congrats on your build, thus far. Thank you, for the info. I haven't started mine yet. I am going to have to get me a building board. My table in the garage is not flat.

However, I am riding high, anyway. I got to fly yesterday for the second time. The first, didn't last long (mid aired) but the wait was worth it. My instructor had me doing turns using aeleron and elevator. Making turns without losing or gaining altitude is harder than it looks, but he said I did very well. He is very good. He will take me step by step, building my confidence as we go. He keeps logs of my progress so that in the event he is not present at times, one of the other two club instructors will know exactly where I'm at and can go from there.

I think I will go to Lowe's and buy a door for my working surface. I have 2 2x4 ceiling tiles and have spread the plans out on the table letting them flatten out. I have read the manual and looked briefly at the drawings.

I hope you post more pics, and I know I will be asking you and others questions, because this is the first kit for me too, since I was a young teen.

Best Wishes,
Merry Christmas to all of you.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:38 PM
miamiflyer

Wow, 2slow!
that wing went fast for a first time builder.
I too broke a hole in the sheeting when i picked up the wing, in the same spot as you! lol
i patched the space between the ribs and resheeted and filled.
I've been busy chainsawing trees to retrieve my crashed ultrastick and have a blast flying my pt-40 with
the new J"En, didn't build much this week. also the woodglue slows me down.
the wing is done and the fuse halfway. still have to decide if using hingepoints or ca.
make sure to install blind nuts for the nosegear before you glue in the firewall.
topflight recommends no thrust angle so make sure you glue it in straight.
i tested the chrome ultracote, no big difference other than it probably needs a hotsock
to avoid scratches.
here's a pic how i glued in the leading edge and fuse sides.
crazy.

Name:	Tr49186.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	205117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46725.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	205118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67667.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	205119  
Old 12-21-2004, 12:25 AM
2slow2matter

Miami, thanks for the pics. I have more pics tonight, but unfortunately can't upload them until at least tomorrow. I got the fuse finished today (ok, except for the cowl). Can't wait to start that one tomorrow []. It's funny when you're building this kit, and three hours of hard work later, it still looks the same! amazing. And, it's not like I'm just sitting there, I'm working on it. Just little things that take a long time. On this plane, I think the angles and all of the sanding are the most tedious aspects. I also tinted my canopy tonight with rit dye. Looks real good. Tinted it black (it turned out brownish, but looks like car tint!). Gonna put a fighter pilot in it. Should look good! All of the cutting out of parts from stock takes forever! Not everything is die cut in this kit. In fact, there is at least just as much that you have to cut yourself. Maybe more builder cuts than die cuts! That takes a long time too, and lots of patients. The fuse is all 100% 30 minute epoxied together. The wing is a combination of epoxy and CA. Where I CA'd, I brushed epoxy over the joint for added strength. Also, I used 30 minute epoxy to glue the firewall formers together instead of the 6 minute that the instructions call for! Also, I got a little confused when trying to figure out where the throttle servo mounted, how to route the pushrod, and how the tank goes in. Let me suggest sullivan semi-flex golden rods for the throttle. You'll need the extra flexability to get it around the fuel tank. The 2/56 that comes with it would be way too stiff. I've decided to power this bird with my Saito .56. It should do fine. This bird isn't real heavy. Some things that I have noticed so far:
1) The wing saddle isn't quite right. Needs quite a bit of sanding to get the wing to sit down in it correctly.
2) The punch marks to drill the holes for the wing dowels were off just a tad. Had to ream the hole out a little to get the dowels to go in.
3) The flap had to be sanded more than what the plan shows to get it to fit up into the fuse correctly when its in the up position.
4) Dry fit all of your tail feathers. You'll have to do some final sanding to get them to all come out at the end of the fuse like the're supposed to.

By tomorrow night it will be ready to cover. Maybe start covering on Wednesday, or might take a break and start on Thursday. We'll see.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:04 PM
campbec

Hi Guys,

Merry Christmas to all the Contender junkies. Don't forget to check the wing and tail plane incidence before gluing and sanding wing saddles, you might just have to pack same.

Safe and Happy Christmas & New Year,

Colin
Old 12-22-2004, 05:56 PM
TRobison

Merry Christmas to everyone. Thanks for the advice on the engine, but still not sure what I will do. I will be ordering my contender kit after the first of the year.

I have another question about this kit. Is it possible to install retract landing gear on this plane and has anyone tried it?

Thanks, I'm sure when I start building you will hear more from me.

Tim
Old 12-22-2004, 07:51 PM
miamiflyer

[8D] <--- contenderjunkie,

Colin, would you like to explain how to check the 1 degree incidence?
I have no clue.
also when i lay down the flap and aileron controlsurfaces, i've noticed
that there's a 1/4 inch space inbetween them, not so in the plan.
i buildt over the plan but it came out like that.[]

Tim, from what i've read here the Contender doesn't lend itself well to retracts.
there's little space available and the extra weight doesn't make up for a streamlined
body. It should be as light as possible.

oh yeah, safe and merry X-mas to all. I'm going to be flying, the weather is
just gorgeous here in FLA.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:07 PM
2slow2matter

You would have to make it into a tail dragger to do retracts. There is no room to retract a nose gear in this bird. As a matter of fact, I couldn't even get the dubro 10 oz take to work right in my plane, so I had to go to a hanger nine eight ounce tank. But, with the 56 sized four stroke, I'll still get 10 to 15 minute flights. Here are some pics of the build so far. This set includes the fuse (as it was finishing up), and some of the entire bird together.

Name:	Mk25378.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	205878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18627.jpg
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	205879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65994.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	205880  
Old 12-22-2004, 08:13 PM
2slow2matter

Some more pics. Got the wing covered today. Will add some three inch wide chord stripes before I'm done. Probably two on each side, maybe just one. Gotta figure out what looks best--short wing, you know. I'm very happy with the covering job so far. My dad is real good at covering these things, and he's been the brains behind the covering. I'm just operating the iron. we'll cover the fusealage on Friday, and then glue the control surfaces and tail feathers in. I'm doing it like an arf. I think that's the easiest way (for me). I also cheated a little. I painted the cowl with lustercote. I wasn't about to try and cover that thing! It was hard enough to carve out. I can't imagine trying to get that thing covered without wrinkles! I'll post more pics when it's all said and done. by the way, the last pic is my lovely wife of 9 years (tomorrow) painting my pilot.

Name:	Fd92034.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	205881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36687.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	205882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85109.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	205883  
Old 12-22-2004, 08:17 PM
2slow2matter

One more pic. This is the bottom of the wing. I went with solid red, so there would be a difference in top and bottom. The wing chord stripes will be white, and go on the bottom...

Edit: The spots and such are just the light playing heck on the digital camera! This thing looks good up close!

Name:	Ay74510.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	205888  
Old 12-22-2004, 11:00 PM
twistr
My Feedback: (4)

I'll vouch for that 2slow! That wing is simply awesome with the covering job. I can't wait to see it with the decals on!
Old 12-22-2004, 11:45 PM
miamiflyer

2slow,
good luck with the 52 engine and the hangar 9 tank. I've read that these tanks like to split right
in the middle. I threw away the H9 tank that came with my ustick60 and used a sulli flex.
guess your saito 100 is now looking for a new plane?
I will put mine in this one
http://www.accelhobby.com/2p_katanags70.html
or the OMP Yak 56 http://ohiomodelplanes.com/65yakarf/
can't see this sweet engine on the shelf collecting dust.
gotta have fun!
Old 12-22-2004, 11:49 PM
2slow2matter

Thanks, miami. I will probably pick up a sullivan flex tank (10 oz) sooner or later and put in it. The dubro tank is just too bulky. I think the flex tank will fit in there nicely. And, you can mold them as well! Yes, the 100 is looking for a new home. It will more than likely go on a 4 star 60 this coming spring. The .56 takes up quite a bit of space in there, I can't imagine trying to put that 100 in it. Wasn't going to happen. Well, it could have, but would have been a tight fit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.