Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Contender

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Contender

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 12:39 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Contender

Yes, the 100 is looking for a new home.
Need my address?????
Old 12-23-2004, 09:22 AM
flmlm

2slow2matter,

Nice looking build, love the pictures of the "bones" thanks for sharing them. The cover job really looks good. I'm sure your pleased with the outcome of the finished product it appears that after this tedious project the payoff was significant. Hopefully, I'll be able to start my build the first of the new year.

Keep us in mind after the maiden flight. I'd like to know your impression of how it handles in the air.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:45 PM
miamiflyer
My Feedback: (1)

tooslow,
how did you glue in the forward deck sheeting?
I dry fit today and it looks like it curves around to fit onto the F-2D former.
It's also a little too large.
[]
Old 12-24-2004, 01:14 AM
2slow2matter

The forward and turtle deck sheeting were ca'd in. Little medium CA on the formers, and press hard for a few seconds! Then, I went back and brushed in some five minute epoxy around the joints for good measure. All of the fuse is glued with 30 min epoxy, formers and all. Just the top decks are ca'd on the fuse. Got everything hinged tonight, and balanced it. I will put the battery on top of the hatch, and that will balance it perfectly. All in all the thing weighs 6 pounds and 1 ounce. I think the .56 four stroke will do just fine on that! Here are some pics. Tomorrow I will install the battery and receiver, and hook the control surfaces up to the servos. Other than that, just a few decals and she's ready to fly! This was definitely a building bonanza, and I will never do it like this again. From now on, it's a little at a time! Believe me boys, the building is the easiest part! After that comes the fun. Covering, installing the radio gear, control surfaces, so on!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22555.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	206286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24556.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	206287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67583.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	206288  
Old 12-24-2004, 01:09 PM
2slow2matter

It's finally finished! I'd guess in the neighborhood of 45-60 hours. Not really sure, but we worked hard all week to get this thing finished up. Finally got all of the radio gear installed today, and lined up and working properly. Decals are on, and it looks like this:

Name:	He97438.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	206433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52746.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	206434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57304.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	206435  
Old 12-24-2004, 05:22 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

TooSlow, did you use monocote or ultracote to cover it? It looks great, congratulations.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:42 PM
robert92679

It looks great. Congratulations. I've just got my covering scheme figured out on some 2 views. Now I'll have to warm up the irons!

What is that fuel tube you have along the front landing gear? Is it the breather/vent from the 4-stroke crankcase? Great idea.

Robert
Old 12-24-2004, 09:33 PM
miamiflyer

congratulations !!!
very good looking bird,
and good luck for the maiden flight.
I'm sure you know that we all want to hear a detailed flight report.
When is it going to be?
Old 12-24-2004, 11:05 PM
2slow2matter

Robert, yes, that is the crankcase breather line. I like to extend it as low as possible to keep all of that oil off of the covering! Makes for some oily tires, but those can be taken off and washed easily. I hate oily covering!
Jim, I used monocote. Ultracote might have been easier for this plane, considering all of the compound angles and curves. I think it shrinks better, but that's just what I've heard.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:15 AM
flmlm

2Slow2matter,

Wow, the finish build looks great. Congradz! Just received my Contender, thanks for the valuable input and experience on your build. Your comments and others will assist me greatly in constructing mine. Good luck on the maiden.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:11 AM
2slow2matter

Well, I maidened the contender on new years eve. You guys will be so pleased with the way this thing flies. I just glides through the air effortlessly. The saito .56 is plenty of power on this bird. Gotta get used to the flap (have never flown a plane with flaps before). It will knife edge like a champ, lands great and predictible. The take off roll is long, though. Probably because I'm at the lower end on the engine, but add the flap in on take off and the roll is cut in half. Once flying, it has no bad tendencies that I saw. I flew it three or four times. Had only one incident. Deployed the flap into a 17 mph wind--not a good idea. it ballooned, I pulled the flap, and it started to stall at about 10 to 15 feet. I was able to catch it just enough to keep it from going in nose first. hard touch down, bent the nose gear just a little, but nothing two pairs of pliers couldn't fix! Other than that, it was a great first day!! No trim at all was needed. Set your control surfaces up at neutral, and go fly it!
Old 01-02-2005, 09:00 PM
miamiflyer

congrats 2slow,
mission accomplished. glad you didn't lose it on the first day. that would, uhm, s......
(a bad start for the new year)
the backpage of the manual says to be careful not to raise the flap during approach......
but you found out yourself.
how is the rudder? can you bring it around in knife?

I'm at the cowl, what a pain, balsa dust and chips everywhere, i'm building it slow an hour a day.
but gotta speed up now, new kit is ordered and coming soon.
good luck and keep a safe altitude until you are comfy.
pat
Old 01-03-2005, 10:43 PM
campbec

Hi All,

Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year. I have been too tied up with family to do much more to the very modified Contender fuesalage but flew the original and the PT 19 over the holidays. I'll post some pics soon.

I would suggest that you don't deploy the flap at more than half throttle and it really helps if you mix in about 4% to 6% of down with the flap. I don't normally use the flap if there is any wind unless doing a short field (carrier), approach.

Tooslow your model looks great! Congratulations!

Cheers,

Colin
Old 01-04-2005, 11:42 AM
2slow2matter

thanks for the info cambec. I'll dial in some down before I go out again. The flap really helps in short take offs, though! btw, at what point do you deploy your flaps during approach?
Old 01-04-2005, 05:54 PM
DaveB

2slow,

Speaking for myself, I deploy the flaps on my Condender on the down wind leg. I am usually a little less than half throttle. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have a little down programmed into my radio. It helps a lot and makes landing easy.

DaveB
Old 01-06-2005, 03:05 PM
campbec

Hi all,

I have hopefully (after many problems) posted some images of the much modified Contender fuselage under construction. The moments are the same but I have made the fuse deeper and added the empenage from a Super Chipmunk with the aim of improving low speed knife edge performance.

Having visited Cafeen Man's incredible site I used his tips to build a cowl moulded on florist foam to enclose the engine.

Cheers,

Colin

Name:	Fd91330.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	211419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63423.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	211420   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44015.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	211421  
Old 01-07-2005, 06:06 PM
sledge_78
My Feedback: (24)

T Robison,

I finished my Contender about 2 Mo.s ago. I usd all the options upswept wing tips and flap. I used an OS .50 SX with an 11-6 prop. It truly has plenty of power. I normally fly on less than 1/2 throttle. I liked the engine choice for two reasons. 1. I knew there would be plenty of power to move the airplane with that thick airfoil. 2. The .50 Sx fits into the airplane easily without shaving the cowling paper thin. The one thing I did do was to use 1/32 planking over the fuselage rear top & bottom. This made it easier to cover and gave added strength to the surface structure of the fuselage in that area. I would suggest that you cover the tail fins first and assemble them covered, it makes life so much easier. All said And done with the sx 50 I had to move the battery pack all the way up front under the fuel tank to balance the airplane without adding any extra weights. One thing I did notice about the kit was that they specify a make and model fuel tank that when you receive it, it looks nothing like the one on the plan. I did not use it but bought one that matched the plan and therefore I did not need to modify the fuselage to get it in.

This airplane flies great you will enjoy.

Sledge_78
Old 01-07-2005, 09:54 PM
2slow2matter

Sledge, did you put your battery on top of your hatch? When I moved my battery to the front, on top of the hatch, it balanced perfectly also. However, I couldn't stand the thought of those four little screws holding the fate of my plane in their hands. If that hatch comes open, it's all over but the crying. Therefore, I just added a little weight on top of the hatch (in addition to moving my battery as far forward as I could without it being on top of the hatch). I figure if that breaks loose now, I could still land it. Without a battery it's destined to be a lawn dart.
Just wondering if you secured it up anyway. I might be interested in re-doing mine to get rid of the dead weight if you way is better than mine!!!
Thanks..
Old 01-08-2005, 12:19 AM
sledge_78

2slow2matter,

I did secure the battery pack in the hatch. If you used the same fuel tank as PICTURED on the plan there is room to place cross brace supports to hold the battery pack in place under the fuel tank. Also you may want to consider using two blind nuts on the firewall to hold the nose wheel bracket in place. The kit gives you two wood screws. If you have a few hard landings you could rip the wood screws out. Then you have a dilemma on how to hold the bracket in place with two big holes where the screws used to be. It sounds like you are already passed that stage though. So it may be too late to change it. I also changed the hatch to a solid piece of plywood instead of the one provided in the kit. It just seemed like it would last longer. I use an 1100 Mh battery pack since I am driving so many servos (6) I did not want to run low on battery. I tend to fly 3-4 flights in a day.

Sledge_78
Old 01-08-2005, 09:07 AM
2slow2matter

Yup, we think alike. I used blind nuts on the nose gear. Also used an 1100 mah battery! I will explore the idea of securing the battery above the hatch (which I also made into a solid piece!). I could loose a lot of extra weight that way! Thanks for the ideas!
Old 01-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

I am hoping someone in this thread can tell me which is the easier build: The TopFlite Contender or the Great Planes Super Decathlon - 40? Any of you build both? I want to start on the easiest build, first.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2005, 04:35 PM
sledge_78

safebet,

I can only comment on the Top Flite Contender. I was real easy to build. The kit quality was excellent. The toughest part I would guess would be the cowling. Some sanding & shaping involved to get it to look like the plans. As in most kits the last 20% of the work is the finishing and controls etc. This seems to take as much time as building. But there are no surprises in the construction.

The Super decathalon I will leave to another member to comment on. I am not familiar with it. (yet). Good luck in your decision.

Sledge_78
Old 02-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Blade47

Hello All !

Is there any one out there that would like to give or sell there plans for the Contender? I would like to scratch build it. I have the manual. If you would like to part with them you can PM me for my address.

Thank you ahead of time

Pete
Old 02-16-2005, 08:08 PM
campbec

Hi,
Sorry for the long delay in posting but progress has been glacial over Christmas for a host of work and family reasons. Still I have finall recovered the Chippy wing after landing in the only !@#%%^ Tree in the Paddock and have Covered the wing and control surfaces of the Contendermunk/Chipender and completed construction of the fuselage. All that remains is to mount the engine and glass and paint the fuse.

Name:	Bz77260.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	230332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84583.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	230333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28331.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	230334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56294.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	230335  
Old 02-16-2005, 08:50 PM
flmlm

Campbec,

Wow, that's a very unique build, looks great. I know what you mean concerning slow progress! I still haven't started my Contender purchased just prior to Christmas (this posting got me hooked, just had to have one). Currently, I'm building a Sig Kavalier and the build has slowed to a snails pace for the reasons you've mentioned. Hopefully in the coming weeks I can complete my current build and begin construction of my Contender. Keep up the good work and the updates...

Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.