Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

wing servos for SSE

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

wing servos for SSE

Old 12-07-2004, 05:34 AM
inverted flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing servos for SSE

I'm building a light weight SSE - shooting for a shade over 4 lbs AUW
will I get away with a Hit-tec HS81 MG servo in a somethin' extra wing? (two servos - one in each wing)

The default servos on the plans is a standard 42 oz inch job, but the HS 81 pulls 36 oz inches - at just half the weight, will it be robust enough?

I.F.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:55 AM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: wing servos for SSE

Those should be just fine. My standard JR servos are 40 in-oz and they will work in just about all 40-60 sized sport planes. You have a light weight WWI model that will certainly perform less stressfully. I think they should work out fine.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:17 AM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

I don't think he is talking about a WWI model. He is talking about the Sig Somethin' Extra. Yet the standards should be fine anyway. I use standard ball bearing futaba's in mine and it does just fine.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

You're RIGHT! I read SSE as SE5. Oops. (It was early in the morning ) Dyslexia b*tch is a.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Sotos
My Feedback: (12)

I tried the using 85MG's in the back end of a Funtana 40 and found that although they had enough torque, they didn't have enough throw. You may want to check this out before committing to this mod.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:19 AM
Panther45
My Feedback: (4)

Yea the servos should be OK, If installed right the need for power is not huge and I have seed all sorts of servos used in the SSE. You are right to make it light, we have found that the weight is the single biggest factor in how it flies. We leave off lots of parts and give up crash survival for better flight performance.

You should got down the statement above so you can read it after you land hard and split the fus in half
Old 12-09-2004, 08:59 PM
ukrconsul
My Feedback: (1)

Don't think it's a good idea with 81 MG. SSE is a funfly/3D and micro servo on it - no-no. SSE is not a park flier. It needs HS225MG at least. Don't fool yourself with MG gears, they are not too strong anyway on micro servos.
As for me I am going by now with Saito 82 and hitec 5975 digitals (bought them on sale) on my SSE.
If you need a plane like SSE but fragile and very light go with Magic Extra.