Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP RV-4 Kit ok second plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP RV-4 Kit ok second plane?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 12:29 PM
brsseb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP RV-4 Kit ok second plane?

With my PT-40 trainer done and flying lessons starting early next year, i need a kit to bulit in the winter/spring season. Getting an Hitec Eclipse7 (a new LHS in the area had it at almost giveaway price...well..ALMOST ) for christmas, and was thinking of a 2nd plane with flaps for easy landings. Ive read about the faults and tricky business with the GP RV4 kit, but despite its flaws, it still seems like a good aircraft and ppl who built it have gotten past the problems.

I feel im an intermediate kit builder and done a couple small kits by now, and looking at the manual it dont seem too hard. And as always, I will rely on this forum to help me out should I get stuck. Guess im putting an OS 46AX into it, cant afford 4strokes .

Just wonder if it is a good 2nd plane (with flaps). And with dual rates and perhaps some flaperon mixing, it might slow down for an easier landing?

And, it just looks so damn much better than an 4* or the SS [8D]
Old 12-10-2004, 10:15 PM
fun4me2fly
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: GP RV-4 Kit ok second plane?

I would rather see you build and fly a Sig 4star40 before the GP RV4. That's the way I went. Trainer-Four Star 40 and a little later to the GP RV4. My RV4 has the OS46FX and flaps. It is fast at full throttle but will slow pretty good for landing. But it would have scared me as the second plane. It is a good kit. Great to build. I opted for a fibreglass cowl and the plastic wheel pants will now have be replaced with fibreglass ones.
Don
Old 12-10-2004, 10:56 PM
billpilotca

I would tend to agree with Don. My RV-4 actually ended up being my 4th plane. I went from my trainer to a 4 star 40 which I thought was a good 2nd plane and first tail dragger, then to a SIG Somethin' Extra and then to the RV-4. I will say that the RV-4 is a great plane. I have seen all the comments re the kit and quality but I think they are overstated. I had no problems building the plane. It flies very well, like on rails. In my case with a Thunder Tiger 46. It moves along well but with the flaps it lands very easily. If I had to do it again I might have skipped the 4 star and gone directly to the Somethin' Extra - it is also a great fun fly plane. Both my Extra and RV-4 have just under 200 flights each on them and they are great planes to fly.

Bill
Old 12-11-2004, 06:21 AM
brsseb

The manual warned that if you are using a highend 2stroke engine like the 40FX or 46FX/AX, it looses its scale flying charateristics (read: fly way to fast!). Is it still a good (and perhaps easier) flyer even with a smaller engine, say like a OS 40 or 46 LA? (with the LA series costing half of the FX/AX series). Note that I will of course get lots of hours with my Trainer, and let an instructor take the RV4 up the first few times.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:28 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go for it. I have one of these and I think they are fantastic as a sport plane. Just be aware that they are quite a bit quicker than you trainer. Also make sure you put the flaps on, they work really well. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:43 AM
brsseb

As i want the scale-ish feeling and not a rocket in the sky, I wont put like a 46FX/AX on it then. Is an OS 46LA ok? (If I want more power later, I can always swap the 46LA and my 46AX in my trainer once im comfortable with the RV-4). Also, the 46LA is half the prize of the AX
Old 12-13-2004, 08:47 AM
ksechler

I would opt for the .46AX. I have a .46 FX in mine, and this plane was made for it. It isn't just about speed. This plane is very aerobatic and the extra power comes in handy for extending up lines. I think if you put an LA in it you will quickly find yourself looking for more power. Remember, the engine has a throttle. You can always throttle back if it's too much, but you can't make that LA put out more than it has.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:26 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ksechler

I would opt for the .46AX. I have a .46 FX in mine, and this plane was made for it. It isn't just about speed. This plane is very aerobatic and the extra power comes in handy for extending up lines. I think if you put an LA in it you will quickly find yourself looking for more power. Remember, the engine has a throttle. You can always throttle back if it's too much, but you can't make that LA put out more than it has.
I agree 100%. I have a TT 46 pro for power and if you use the LA it would not be long before you wished you had more power. If its to fast then pull the power back a bit.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:03 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

RV-4, great kit, great plane. If you are confident enough to build, go for it! Funky 'non convensional' wing building is pretty neat! Wing dehydral joint needs reinforcement though, my opinion
Engines, go with a good 46, and not a bushing one , such as the LA. For even more 'scale-ism' got for about a .50 4 stroke! more 'realistic' sound!
Flying, high wingloading, (due to build techniques, and flaps!) can make it a bit 'hot'. Also a tail dragger, so, you're introducing something new, but something to learn.
Flaps, depending on skill, may just be added weight, as you'll never use them
Old 12-14-2004, 06:57 PM
kqutob

Forget the LA if you can afford it go for the OS .50sx. The FX and the AX are enough but the RV can do with a little extra. It will be the perfect match.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:40 PM
deltatech

Whaaa... I can't believe these guys telling you that a "GP RV-4" would be to much. My second plane was "and is still flying" a GP Tracer...very fast slick and hot pattern ship. Just have an instructor get you started and you will be up to speed in no time. I have the RV-4 in the box and may get started on it after xmas depending on what Santa brings. Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:45 PM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen the RV-4 with an OS .50 and another with the .40 LA. The LA is a dog on that plane and it struggles doing just about anything. It was fast with the .50. I definately wouldn't put the LA on it.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Daryl_y

Supertigre GS-40 is only a few dollars more than a 40fp and has quite a bit more power. The Club I belong to holds 4*-40 pylon races and the only engine allowed is the GS-40 (There is an article about us in this months Model Avviation) and they fly very well with that motor.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:12 AM
brsseb

Thanks for the replies. Wow, never should have mentioned the LA-engine series. Dont want this turning into a we-all-dislike-the-LAs post. Seen enough of those . Dont worry, if i get a RV-4 im also getting an 46AX.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Transam

I just got the RV-4 for my birthday. I have been flying an Avistar for 2 years now and was looking for something a little more. I have never built a kit before and so far after going through the instructions, online posts I can't see where it will all that difficult to build. I am going to go with either a Saito .56 or .65 4 stroke. I haven't decided yet. I saw the posts were people said it wasn't the best first build or a good second plane, but I bucked the system and taught myself how to fly with out losing a plane, and at $97 it really is not that expensive of an airplane. So I would say go for it. The only way to learn sometimes is to push the limits. It is fun to see where your limits are when you are not risking your life of course.

T/A
Old 12-15-2004, 09:58 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Flying one with a OS .52FS and flys very scale-like. Don't overpower it or use the throttle! Relatively easy kit to build, but the wing's center section is a bit tougher to build than the rest of the wing.

Jerry

PS Build in Flaps - they are a ball to fly with
Old 12-17-2004, 09:12 PM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Saito .56 on a .40 sized Sig Kavalier. I don't know if the .56 is enough for you to be happy with it. That would be a judgement call, but if the price on the .65 is close enough to the .56, and weight differences are minor, I would suggest going with the .65. The .56 should power it fine, but it won't be overpowered at all. I guess I'm trying to point out that you could tire of the .56 faster than the .65 as you grow with the RV-4 over time.

I wasn't trying to bash the LA engine. It just doesn't have the power and it dead sticks a lot on this guy. I think you would definately outgrow the LA after a while on a RV-4 kit.