Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Cowl

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 06:02 PM
Dougc87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Cowl

I am building a Sig kadet Mark ||, Someone already started building it and I have to do the minor work... sanding and such, This guy was going to install a K & B .40 in it and he already cut the cowl for it. I want to install a OS .46 AX in it but since the cowl is already cut it is going to look like crap there will be a lot of empty space around the cowl.. I am assuming that the K & B and OS use a different blocks (I know the OS is bigger so it will require more cutting). I am worried that it wont look good. So I was wondering if I could buy a new cowl for the mark || so do I have to go out and buy one for a different plane and mod it? I know this is a trainer but since it is my first plane and my only plane for a few years I want it to look good. Maybe I could patch the big hole he made?
Thanks
Doug
Old 12-21-2004, 06:41 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Sig Cowl

I, too, have built the MkII, it was my first plane. That plastic cowl might be difficult to properly patch, since epoxy won't bond well to it. SIG sells replacements for almost everything they make, if you contact them, they can set you up. If you're a brave soul and have any experience with fiberglassing, you can use it as a blank and make a fiberglass cowl for your plane, it will be a bit bigger than the original. You might try a patch using Ca, which will bond styrene and ABS pretty well, just find similar material, cut pieces to fit the holes, use medium and thick Ca, then sand and fill with body putty. Careful you don't glue it to your hand. My recommendation, though is to contact SIG and get a new one. Less hassle and plenty cheap. I can't remember the web address, just punch in Sig and see, or find a good LHS that is a Sig dealer and have them order it.

You're going to love this plane, flies great. you'll find that it has a fairly short turning moment and may seem twitchy at first but it is very maneuverable for a trainer.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:43 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Cowl

I suggest you get it all put together and mount the engine and cowl as is. Then make the decision about replacing the cowl. Sig should stock replacement cowls for that model.