Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Thinning Finishing Resin

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Thinning Finishing Resin

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 10:19 AM
kirtley-delete
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinning Finishing Resin

I am using Pacer Z-poxy to apply 3/4 oz fiberglass cloth on my warbird. What is the best product to thin the finishing resin; rubbing alcohol, acetone or alcohol from paint store?

Thanks,

Ed Kirtley
Old 08-28-2002, 11:16 AM
jfangohr

Default thinner for Z poxy

Ed,

The instructions that come with my BVM Bandit say to thin it with acetone. Haven't tried it myself but will soon.

John
Old 08-28-2002, 07:27 PM
CurtD
My Feedback: (1)

Default Thinning Z-Poxy

I've used both acetone and anhydrous isopropynol (100% isopropyl alcohol). The only problem with acetone is that it evaporates so fast that the resin starts to thicken before I get halfway through applying it to the cloth. The alcohol works better but you MUST use the 100% alcohol kind, no water. This is not the rubbing alcohol you get at the drug store but can usually be found at most electronic supply houses and even some computer stores. It's used for cleaning pc boards. don't use more than about 20% by volume when thinning.

I apply the resin using a small piece of smooth sponge, the same stuff you wrap around your receiver in the fuselage. You can just pat the epoxy onto the glass cloth gently and apply just enough without making a mess or snagging and pulling the cloth. Takes a little practice but it does work well. Be sure to use rubber gloves!!

HTH!
Old 08-28-2002, 09:16 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I use denatured alcohol with no problems.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:47 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

I have used denatured alcohol on my CBM F-16N and it works well. Available at your local paint store in the solvent section.