Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

First kit mistake!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

First kit mistake!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 07:31 AM
samsdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First kit mistake!!!!

I received a four * 40 kit from my wife for x-mas. I have finished one side of the wing and was starting on the other last night when I realized that I screwed up on the trailing edge sheeting of the wing half that I already had done.[:@] The instructions say to put the one and a half inch trailing edge sheeting on the bottom of the wing and the one and a quarter trailing edge sheeting on top. I did this the other way around. When you look at the wing from the side, you can see that the trailing edge sheeting doesn't go out as far as the trailing edge spar which leaves a little "lip" at the bottom trailing edge. It's really too late to fix it on the half I've already done, so I was wondering if I should do the same thing on the other wing half to match the first one. It looks like it will be ok but it will take a little extra sanding (which is no problem)

Have any of you out there done this before? Like I said, I think it will just take a little extra sanding to correct the problem and make the wing look right and I don't really think it would effect the performance of the plane, but I wanted some advice from all of you out there that have built this kit before.

I've tried to be as detailed as possible on this, but if you need clarifacation, please ask.

Other than that, the build is going along a lot more smoothly than I expected with it being my first kit and all. I'm really enjoying this a lot and hope to build many more kits (if I can get past this one without screwing up too bad!) Thanks for the help
Old 12-30-2004, 08:36 AM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: First kit mistake!!!!

I think you should be fine. Couple of other suggestions while you have the wing uncovered. Chop a bay off each side and put two ailerons in the wing. It makes the plane fly so much better. Here is the link on how to do the dual ailerons. [link=http://www.btemodels.com/Downloads/vt_dualaileron.pdf]Dual Ailerons[/link]
Old 12-30-2004, 09:11 AM
DaveB

If I understand the problem correctly, it's basically cosmetic. However to make things correct, I would simply glue 1/4" strips of balsa to the 1-1/2 strips on both wings and it will be pleasing to the eye. You can find the strips at your locall hobby shop.

While you're there, pick up a Sullivan 2-6lb tail wheel. The stock version is very flimsy. Also, beef up the fuse sides just aft of the wing trailing edge. That area tends to break after a rough landing.

Having said that, the 4* is a good flyer.

DaveB
Old 12-30-2004, 09:16 AM
Connery

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually did the same thing on my 4 * kit. But I did what Dave suggested and glued the strips to the end of the sheet. I also built a cowl, cut off one bay from each wing, sheeted the turtle deck, enlarged the rudder and replaced the tail wheel. I think it turned out pretty well, and it flys great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23526.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	208296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79260.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	208297  
Old 12-30-2004, 09:21 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would just rip off the TE sheeting and replace it with sheeting from the LHS...

Trim it off with a hobby knife, and sand any rough spots. There may be a little balsa breaking, but it's really nothing to worry about, the sheeting will cover any dents, knicks, and dings.

And I would also recommend avoiding any type of mods if it's your first build.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:42 AM
samsdad

Thanks Mike.

I think since I already have it glued down and started sanding it, I'm gonna leave the sheeting as is and sand the little lip down to blend in with the T.E. spar. I may not have metioned this, but I already have sheeted the center of the wing. If my mistake is only a cosmetic one, I can blend it in and make it look good. My main concern was that this was going to cause a problem with the plane's performance. Since it's not, I'll go with what I have.

Also, you're right. This is my first build and I feel the same way you do about diving in and doing all these mods. I think I'll follow the plans on this one and enjoy the experience of building. Maybe I'll do saome mods on my next 4*. If it flys like everyone says, I'll have to have more than one
Old 12-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

This plane is robust enough one can just about do any type of mod and it will still be a great flyer.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:58 PM
randy41

Great job on that plane. I like the covering lay out.
I build as good as your planes look. LOL
I just dont take the time to cover one that nice.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:04 PM
ksechler

You stole my thunder Dave. I agree with your suggestion.