Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Lazy Bee building

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Lazy Bee building

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 11:58 PM
Chunk1227

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lazy Bee building

I live in a dorm room and have limited building space. I was curious if I could build a Clancy Lazy Bee or a stagger bee with only a 3 ft. by 2 ft. building space? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-29-2002, 04:46 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Chunk....I've built some planes in some pretty tight places. You can get creative too, such as use the bed for certain things. Is there any way you can get a board to do your work on. When done for the night just slip the whole thing under the bed? Or even take a few of your steps outside on a patio, or to some remote area where you can work uninterupted.
Although I've not built the LazyBee yet, it is on my agenda at some point. Come to think about it, they(HobbyPeople) have come out with a LazyBee ARF. At 99$, that's about the same money you'll have in your kit, that is if you're building from kit, and not from just scratch. Dunno though, just thoughts. I do like your enthusiasm though, I'm sure you'll figure out a way.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:05 PM
Chunk1227

Thanks for responding. I think that i should have enough space to build the wing if it is built as two pieces the glued together. Does any know if the wing builds as two pieces or does the whole wing build at once?
Thanks
Old 08-29-2002, 01:12 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Chunk,

The Lazy Bee wing builds as three sections, the center section and the wingtips. You have to glue them together before you cover it though. Does anyone know if Global or whoever owns Clancy Aviation now still kits the Lazy Bee, or is it in ARF only for now? I would like to build one for my dad too, but I got rid of my plans.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:07 PM
Chunk1227

Thanks alot acro. What i have read, it seems as if clancy still owns the company and hobby people are there main distributors. Clancy still makes the bee in a kit form for around $60.00.
Thanks again
chunk
Old 08-30-2002, 11:35 AM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Chunk,

You're welcome. The Lazy Bee was my second kit, and although I thought it was difficult to build at times, I really enjoy flying it. I have 2 JR 331 servos on the rudder and elevator and a JR 241 on the throttle, with a 270 mAh battery on the RX (JR 610 reciver), and an OS .15 for power. It has enough power to harrier, but that's about all the "3-D" stuf that I would want to try with it. Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:07 PM
buffiebob
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Lazy Bee building

Hello I and my wife lived in an RV for a few years and I built a 40 inch Bee in it. 40 Inches is a little over your 3 ft, but bet you could improvice (sic) and come up with something. Check around and find someone with building experience and ask for help. There are many people out there that will help you. Don't give up. buffiebob
Old 10-28-2005, 08:16 AM
bhole74

Doesn't take much roo to build a Bee. I built mine on a rather small bench before I made my rollaway table. I have decided to sell mine (along with 4 others) to help finance a much larger project. It has a 25 fx, Hitec 555 receiver/ 425 servos and a focus 4 transmitter. It has unlimited vertical, hovers, waterfalls, blenders, flat spins...what a hoot.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:38 AM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; I built a Speedy Bee at the hospital where I was rehabilitating from a serious shoulder injury. I did it witout the use of my right arm. I flew that plane for 3 years after. I covered it with Tyvek, and built it with spruce 1/4 x 1/4 sticks. I used a Surpass 26 on it. I had to put it away every day. It took 3 weeks of 2 hours a day. An ingenous (ingenious) builder can build anything anywhere.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Medevack1

Hey Chunk i also live in a one bedroom apt and ive build several planes in my appartment i also have 8 planes....lol im lucky that my appartment complex does my laundry for free so i used the laundry room to do all my RC stuff since i dont have a washer and dryer.... i also got a nice piece of plywood from "homedepot" and i place it on top of the stove (when is not on) and that would be a nice waist level to work on planes... just an idea!!!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Medevack1

I know this is not a bee but i was bord and decided to build something this is what i ended up with.....NO PLANS Not an ARF not a Lazer cut kit with plans....
[IMG]anshttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/spoolinjetta18t/SUNP0041.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Medevack1

ok guys ive been doing "search" everywhere and i need info on how to modify the wing... instead of ussing the rubberbands is there another way to attach the wing w/o ussint the rubberbands? can someone post some pics i already snapped the stick that holds the wing in mid air not a pretty pic. please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2007, 12:06 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a rule, you can put a small dowel on the front of the wing (epoxy) and a small ply piece in the front of the wing saddle to drill through to hold the dowel, then in the rear of the saddle another ply piece with 2 blind nuts in it and then 2 bolts through the wing itself, probably have to put them through another ply piece also....Rog
Old 01-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Medevack1

Well guys as some of you know she i had a mishap last week, once again thanks to CS i got some balsa and fixed my awsome bee. this is the 1st plane i ever solo so she is special!!! ;D, these are the before and after pics please i would like some honest pooinions and of course some critics too. thank you!!!!

This was Before

The Crash!!!!

After!!!
[/img]
[/img]

Old 01-20-2007, 11:26 PM
skylarkmk1

Medevack,

Ouch!! Glad you were able to repair your Lazy Bee, hope she flies as well or better than before. I like the "Fat Albert" color scheme. By chance, were (are) you a Navy man (fan)? I'm retired USAF.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:07 AM
Medevack1

No actually im retired Army.... i just liked the Blue Angels also why do you call it the Fat Albert color scheme?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:35 AM
skylarkmk1

Medevak,

Congratulations on retiring from the Army. The Blue Angles support aircraft is a C-130T Hercules, affectionately known as Fat Albert. It carries spare parts and other gear so that the F-18s can put on a show. As part of the show, Fat Albert, demonstrates a short, field, 45 degree take off, assisted with 8 JATO rockets, quite impressive for a large aircraft. Since a Lazy Bee can perform a similar maneuver (with out rockets) and is not quite as slick looking as the F-18, Fat Albert seemed more appropriate. No offense was intended. Check out Fat Albert at the official Blue Angles website http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/index.htm
Old 01-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Medevack1

Oh got ya i didnt know! thank you i was going to do the "fat albert" but i didnt have white to do the top part. but no offence taken at all thats why i want comments and critics on my build.....lol thank again