Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

TF Piper Arrow

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

TF Piper Arrow

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 11:05 AM
DamonTX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF Piper Arrow

Is anyone building this kit? Mine just came in a few days ago and I've marked and sorted all the parts then started on the fin & rudder. I've taken a few pictures that I'll post later (at work right now, hehe). I started taking pictures out of concern for some of the problems I've seen in the kit. For example, the die cut sheeting for the fin needs to be joined before cutting out the corrugations. There was a huge difference in the thickness of this sheeting. I've since sanded it flat but, man, that was a lot of sanding!

Also, while cutting out the wing ribs I noticed there was a very large difference in the density of the ribs. I took pictures of this as well. This difference can be seen in the color as well as by feeling the texture and weight of the wood.

The last thing I noticed so far is severe warping of the wood. There are two stabilizer spars. They are around 15" long. One is straight verticaly and horizontally, the other has a full 1" warp vertically.

Maybe I just got a kit put together by a new guy! This is my fifth Top Flite kit and until now everything has been top notch.

In the Q&A forum I was asking for alternate recommendations on retractable landing gear. I just don't want to spend $350 for Robarts gear when I'm about to upgrade from my old 8UAP to a CAP. Are there any mechanical retracts that will work?